Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Saltwater outboards?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I see alot of makers have saltwater outboards?   What makes them so special vs regular ones.  I know older outboards used to have pure aluminum anodes vs zinc ones.   Do these outboards have heat exchangers?   Anything special about the exhaust path far as material.  

IF you didn't go out too many times in salt and just spent a weekend/overnight trip, would you buy a specific saltwater.  Or is this for guys who use them alot and keep them on a dock.

Debating buying a boat, but putting a new outboard on it.  115-150hp range.  Hypothetically, if a 115hp salt was the same price as a 150hp regular, which one would you get?

For a 19ft cuddy cabin bayliner trophy.   No big plans on traveling past 10 miles in a bay  / river, or within sight on an inlet on the ocean.

I think each manufacturer does something a little different when they label their outboard saltwater. You would have to look at specific brands

that being said if the motor  is actually set up for saltwater it can certainly handle freshwater very well  and all other things being equal I would get the saltwater motor even if I only used it in the salt a few times a year.

As far as 150 horsepower vs 115 horsepower  when your 19 ft boat I don't think you're going to notice a super large difference you'll certainly get a few more knots on the top end.

You said you were only interested in making short runs and the most important thing is that the motor starts and get you from point A to point B. one of the things you always want to pay attention to with a boat that size is the weight of the outboard. Putting an engine that's big and heavy on the ass of your boat might be actually detrimental in the long run

I don't think there is much of a difference nowadays.  Probably none.  Just marketing hype.  Back when, it may have had a stainless this or that, but I'd wager they are all identical nowadays.

No, no heat exchangers.  Don't worry.  Go fish/boat/ski/whatever.

I'd argue that you will see a tremendous difference between 115 and 150.  Particularly if you have more than one person in the boat...or a few more than one.  6 jugs will get you out of the hole and have much better throttle response throughout the band than 4.  Want to ski?  Forget the 115.  Also, resale will be much better. 

I know this for a fact that Yamaha marketed their Saltwater series without any differences what so ever. For a time Mercury's only change with the saltwater series was a stainless steel tilt tube and a flush port. :laugh:

The sacrificial anodes on a freshwater outboard will hopefully be magnesium while saltwater will be zinc or aluminum. Don't forget that some zincs are inside of the outboard too. What does this mean if you use an outboard with magnesium in salt? It will work well... maybe too well and shorten the life of the weaker metal. Just need to check them and change if you see that they corrode faster than they should. Then replace them with zinc. 

Some other differences may include SS or higher grades of SS for hardware and finally, wiring materials may be slightly different. Depends on the manufacturer though so best to ask each. And would be cautious of asking some of the salespeople selling boats. Some may not know and give you some BS or a generic answer like what I just explained but not have any specifics for you. 

17 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

Where are the zinks located on the inside of some outboards and which manufacturers do it?

I know suzi has them.

You would think Yam as well given their fubar castings

Suzuki has them all over. All hp models are diff and yrs. But for example if it has a cast intake on the inside .some have plastic intakes. Alot on outside of block .I could be missing some location maybe inside powerhead.but also on lowerunit  and bottom of trim unit.

go look up a microfiche diagram at an online parts store. I just changed out my internal zinc annodes on my Yamaha 4 stroke last summer. ... and there are some that you an get to and some that you cannot.