wtfooptimax200

Talkin Popper vs Little Neck Popper

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

When you learn to swim your ss you will always Cary one or a couple. It’s a great night  time lure also. 

hydra-

in addition to a blurple SP Minnow......the ONLY other lure i carry for dusk/night surfcasting is a black SS little neck with a black Red Gill teaser 36" ahead of it.

I swim this combo slowly....................... K - I - L- L - E - R  !!!! :heart:

I carry and use both, the talking popper is a blue magnet and the ss I use more when the bass are in town. Can’t go wrong with either one!

As has been pointed out, the SS is a more versatile plug than the Tsunami.  If  I had room for only one popper in my bag-and could only choose from those two-I’d pick the SS every time. 

4 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

hydra-

in addition to a blurple SP Minnow......the ONLY other lure i carry for dusk/night surfcasting is a black SS little neck with a black Red Gill teaser 36" ahead of it.

I swim this combo slowly....................... K - I - L- L - E - R  !!!! :heart:

Gonna try this!

4 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

hydra-

I use the same combo and love it. I'm down to my last black SSLNP though....knew I should have bought more when I had the chance!

Some people have mentioned the price point which is certainly something to think about.  If I am fishing for bluefish I would much rather lose a cheaply priced lure as opposed to an expensive superstrike. As for when I fish both, I would say that (in my opinion) Talkin Poppers are more of a walking/slashing pencil type lure while superstrikes are more of the pop, reel, pop type of lure.  I would generally throw superstrikes even if there is very little bait around and not much action on the surface, while I would pick the talkin popper if there was somewhat of a blitz going on.  

1 hour ago, FlukeOff said:

I use the same combo and love it. I'm down to my last black SSLNP though....knew I should have bought more when I had the chance!

it's the black Red Gills that i'd worry about..........those are hard to get !

1 hour ago, Buckscorider said:

I always have an SS with me.

Gonna spend more time with the 1oz sinking this spring.

That is one hell of a plug right there..........

I fish the TP more like a pencil, and the little necks like...well...little necks. So for me, they have slightly different applications. I have caught a lot more fish on the TP, so if I had to choose, it would be that one. Definitely swap out the hardware though. Stock split rings are hot garbage and the hooks are not far behind.

I keep both in my bag. But if I was going to walk the beach with the wife and could only take 1.... I'd clip the SS on. 

And slip a few bucktails in my pockets :-)

Tsunami poppers do have water intrusion with heavy use and they start to split at the head. Banging them on rocks doesn't help but for $10 you can't go wrong. Fishing them I'll give it 3-4 quick pops and pause maximizing time in the water letting the plug sell itself.