wtfooptimax200

Talkin Popper vs Little Neck Popper

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

As I sit here pondering all things fishing, a question came into my head.  Let's say that you're out fishing and have two poppers in your bag, a Talkin' Popper (6" 2-1/4 oz floating) and a Little Neck Popper (5-1/4" 2-3/8 oz black eye), how do you choose which to throw?  Which conditions does each excel in?  Is it really necessary to keep both in the bag or can you get by with just one?

Image result for super strike little neck popperImage result for talkin popper

I do very well with the Talkin Popper and I am going to sell my little neck poppers. I carried both but always go back to the Talkin Popper, because I catch more fish on it and have more confidence in it. So for me I do not feel I have to carry both, just perhaps some different sizes and colors of one brand.

2 mins ago, GilV said:

I do very well with the Talkin Popper and I am going to sell my little neck poppers. I carried both but always go back to the Talkin Popper, because I catch more fish on it and have more confidence in it. So for me I do not feel I have to carry both, just perhaps some different sizes and colors of one brand.

Hmmmmm, I may be in the market for some used little necks

They will be going up. Keeping 2, selling the rest out of the package and unused. I see you are more confident in the Little Necks, Ha and I bet most guys are! Probaly put them up this afternoon.

2 mins ago, GilV said:

They will be going up. Keeping 2, selling the rest out of the package and unused. I see you are more confident in the Little Necks, Ha and I bet most guys are! Probaly put them up this afternoon.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out!

I use talkin poppers when Blue Fish are around $10 bucks VS $20!

they both catch fish I do think the little neck swims better on a straight retrieve! And definitely casts better!

AHAHAHA

2 mins ago, GilV said:

I hate selling plugs. I think I will give them another try this season.

100_1477.JPG

100_1476.JPG

AHAHAHHAHAHAA, as fishermen, I feel that many of us have this paranoia that one day we will need a specific lure or piece of gear and without it the sky will fall and the world will end.  I hold onto crap like it's my job.  It's got to be a very specific physiological disorder that fisherman are predisposed to.  Perhaps it's a form OCD or something.  Whatever it is, I've got it, without a doubt.

Me too! If you saw the rest of my basement you would think I was nuts. I think it comes from growing up poor and then when you have some loot, you feel you have to corner the market on stuff you like. Then when you realize you don't need it all and decide to sell, you say what if. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

how do you choose which to throw?  Which conditions does each excel in?  Is it really necessary to keep both in the bag or can you get by with just one?

I carry two brands of poppers, the SS Little Neck popper and Gibbs Pencil poppers.

My primary use of the SS popper is when I need distance or if I need to cut through a strong head wind.

When fish are breaking in the middle of the canal and I need distance, I use the SS. When I'm fishing the beaches for blues and I'm searching for feeding fish. I use the SS to cover a lot of water.

I've had outings where I usually throw an SP minnow or a Bomber but the wind was blowing in too strongly and those lures were being blown right back in my face. I've used the SS in this situation  as a swimming lure and had good results. The added benefit of the SS Little Neck is that it has a great wiggle on a straight retrieve. I use the 5 1/4", 2 3/4 oz popper which sinks a little. It can be an effective swimmer.

I use the Gibbs when fish are in close and I don't need distance. I also use it when the SS is digging in too deeply and it's taking too long to get it on top. When I fish breaking tides at the canal, once the current gets ripping again after slack, sometimes the SS digs in too deeply and I can't get it popping on top until it's past the strike zone. On beaches when it's windy and there's a cross current as well, the SS can dig in too deeply. I'll use the Gibbs in these conditions as well. I've also used the Gibbs at night on sand eel beaches where I needed to get a little distance but I didn't want to make too much of a commotion. The Gibbs is much easier to work than the SS so I can make a splash on top, with minimal effort, and just enough splash to get a fish's attention but without spooking all the fish that are out there.

If I had to carry only one it would be the SS because of it's versatility and its ability to cut through a stiff head wind.

Edited by zak-striper

First off, no other popper I know of has the unique ability to swim on top on a straight retrieve like the 2 3/8oz SS Popper. That right there makes it a popper I'll always carry. Second it casts great and often times that is needed when you take winds or big surf into consideration. Plus it flat out catches for me.

I have only fished the talking popper a handful of times, but if I remember correctly it's kinda like a popper that mixes the action of a pencil with that of a littleneck. Definitely a sweet plug and I'd carry it because sometimes that pencil action is key. But I definitely wouldn't use it as an all out replacement to the SS popper because sometimes that deadly swim/pop approach is killer, and when you have a wind honkin in your face the talking popper wouldn't do you any good.

I also like littleneck poppers that don't sink and sit almost level on the surface. For a slower pop/pop/pause type of approach. Seems to work great in the back bays and when they're being less aggressive. Poppers that fit this would be things like Smack-it poppers or Big Don micro poppers (but those are tough to come by).

The little neck casts better then most plugs, the ability to swim it and pop it make it more deadly.  I have more confidence in the little neck when it comes to top water bites then any other plug.  That being said my PB came on a talking popper.

I view the Talkin' Popper as more of a pencil while the SS more of a "traditional" popper..........

.......that said, i can do and catch a helluva whole lot more with the SS than i can with the Talkin'......

I use the SS Little Neck popper with the traditional reel, reel, pop, reel, reel, pop retrieve or a slow retrieve making it swim just to mix it up. It doesn't swim as well as the Little Neck swimmer but if it's fairly calm I will use it in that fashion. Not so much like I retrieve a pencil or a talking poopper with the constant rod tip action during a slow retrieve.I can't imagine replacing them in my bag when fishing any surf other than a real big, on-shore wind with incoming tide surf.

The Talking Popper XD is one of my favs and I will use it often when there is the threat of blues in the area. Soooo....on the southern shore of LI that means I use them alot! The XD version casts as well as the SS IMO. Not so much the older non-XD versions.