Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Bayliner Trohpy boats?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking at buying a Bayliner trophy.  Not exactly sure of the year, somewhere in the mid 90's.  I think its the 1903.  Don't recall the outboard model either.

They're decent boats?    What do you think they weigh?    Was hoping to travel with this on a new 1500 truck, likely dodge or chevy with a viking SP080 camper on the back.  Not a heavy one, no shower or toilet.  Not sure if the no 1/2 ton is a deal breaker though, I could awlays tow the rowboat, or sleep in the bayliner possibly and not bring the camper.

Hulls do ok?  Gelocoating.  Anything special to check on the transom.  I can imagine anything 20 years old need a bit of electrical work.   Did they use wood anywhere or all foam?

With a spare outboard (kicker),  Would you guys go out the inlet with her on a nice day?

With the windshield being the highest, how tall do you think it is?   Hoping it would fit in the garage, not a requirement though.

Edited by salt deficient

Bay liner bottom of the  boat chain just google .purely wood.So quality will be crap or bottom tier . Heavy from wood .20plus years old .so I'm sure it is over factory weight with saturated wood so fuel tanks if aluminum are probly at end of life.. Being heavy it rides like a big fat tank not always a bad thing being heavy.. Most Boats this age was built for a two stroke .so if your planning on repowering you gotta see what the max weight for that transom is .so going four stroke you will not be able to run the same hp as a two stoke could .you also need to look at the weight of 4 stroke series motors .for example a Suzuki 115 hp weights the same as the 140 .so imo go 140. The 70hp Suzuki weight the same as the 90hp. So most share same block just diff internals or computers.this goes for most manufactures. Now two strokes weight alot less hp to hp. Not getting into 2 stoke vs 4 stroke other then weight. Repowering the wrong way can be your worst nightmare. To much weight can ad side effects. These are your basics.

Answer to all your questions is just no.

A 1500 would pull the boat ok but might not pull both. You need to check your vehicle towing weight .add all your equipment together to see what you can legally pull.  If in accident and your over your vehicle  tow limit your insurance company might not cover you when it happens.

1903 is a CC.  I had a 1703 (17' version) so about 6-7 seasons.  Performed like your typical 17' CC.  Actually liked the boat a lot.  Used it mainly in Long Island Sound, did the job.  Not sure I'd run inlets with it though.

I have a 2007 Trophy 1703 and it is and excellent boat. Had a bit a problems with the 90 2 stroke Merc it came with until they changed the solenoid. Crusies around 25 mph  with 2 people at 4200 rpms and their is no wood (mid 90s might have wood), boat is all glass. Dry ride, self bailing decks  and will not fit in garage. Only issue I found is that you have to change the in line fuse holders by batteries every two or three seasons from water getting into battery storage hatch when cleaning. Good boat for skinny water also, with nice casting platform in bow.

Just based on first hand accounts with owners. The quality of the build and parts were below average. They are well known as the low cost entry level boat for a reason.

40 mins ago, Flybyme said:

That was before Brunswick bought them out.

Yeah, now they are just semi-garbage.

That’s why the changed the name?   I was on my friends the other day .  He takes great care of his.  But it’s a bay boat ,  Any wave he has to slow down or get pounded?    It’s all he ever had ?

He does have trouble with the fuse block.  His GPS/ FF keeps  going in and out?    His Mariner engine is loud as hell , but it runs ?  

What can I say?  But it’s not for me ? 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, Lemonade said:

Just based on first hand accounts with owners. The quality of the build and parts were below average. They are well known as the low cost entry level boat for a reason.

figured you'd have stories like the one on THT about the 42 Invincible that near sink due to hull split, not so invincible after all