stripercrazy

eel skins on plugs question

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I've never used a eel skin on a plug and over the years I've had a few eelskin plugs but never got around to rigging them with a skin, I'm lazy I guess. and I've never see anyone fish one on a plug. alot of the ones i see look like a atom jr ,and most of the atom plugs are surface lures, my question is what plugs do you guys like to rig skins on? are they better on surface lures or subsurface lures like a conrad ....skins inside out(blue inside) ? thanks for any input.....:)

I’m a big fan of eel skins, it’s a high confidence lure for me. You can put a skin just about any lure but I have had the most success with needles.

I have a 1 3/4 super strike needle that I took a piece of wire and got it hot and created an indent to tie up the skin. Works great in skinny water or calm nights. I know guys last jyear in April by me have done well with loaded red fins tied behind the lip. I can’t personally speak for how effective they are but Instagram has some around. 

My montauk needles are the 2 and 3 oz BM skins and a chef Chris needle he made out of a bar stool. It at least 8-9 inches  painted eel skin blue and caught me a low 20 on my first cast. The BM junior swims great with a skin too. Try bending the line up if you want it to dive a little. I think I left the BM in the freezer most of the year this past season. I added skin to a sp bullet bc I had no other use for that lure.  Casted well but I lost it to a bluefish and haven’t used it since.  I rig mine with the skins inside out. If you are on Long Island cow harbor sells skins and I believe rigged eels. 

I like eels skin plugs too. I routinely fish them throughout the season. My favorites include the Beachmaster regular spin and maple spin , light loaded 7" Redfin and the BM or Pichney Conrad. I fish them everywhere there are bass and use one or another depending on water depth. The plug I use the most is the BM regular spin. I rig it with a 3/0 4x VMC belly treble with a 4/0 VMC siwash in the rear. I always reverse the skin ( light blue) when I put it on the plug.

My go to eel skin is a 2 3/8 oz Super Strike Little Neck Popper. Even though it’s technically a popper I rarely pop it except when you have those nights when you try every method. The plug needs no modification, the skin ties on firmly around the little neck. I use a single 2/0  5x strong Mustad belly hook and a short piece of wire off the tail hook holder. 

I like this plug because of its castability and the cupped face that will give it some resistance. It also has a slow swimming action and sink slightly on a moderately slow retrieve. It’s one of these lures that instills a lot of confidence in the casters mind. 

To rig it remove all the hooks and install the tail wire. The wire will prevent the tail from tangling with the belly hook. Put the skin over the plug and wire, tie it off around the neck with waxed rigging twine or dental floss. Trim the excess skin around the neck and attach the belly hook. 

1E394CFE-BBC4-429E-BDA4-C9B1242E3F59.jpeg

Stripercrazy,

looks like a good plug to wrap with a skin. FYI , on a lot of metal lips you can tie the skin off right around the lip. You don’t need a ring on all plugs to attach a skin to it. Waxed nylon floss to tie it off with holds knots very well. 

Good luck

5E43E13E-0A25-45A0-8BDF-7776C1A77420.jpeg

Now, call me ignorant to the times but what exactly IS the benefit of the eels skin on a plug vs anything else that has action? I just feel like the eel skin looks more like an old condom. Lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Now, call me ignorant to the times but what exactly IS the benefit of the eels skin on a plug vs anything else that has action? I just feel like the eel skin looks more like an old condom. Lol

I believe the scent of the reverse skin and the unique undulation of the tail make the difference.  My biggest striper has come on a skin plug.  Mr. Abate and Mr. McKenna are speaking the truth.

Edited by Dookiespop

simple but deadly...many moons ago an old gent showed me his eel skin needle..not much to look at...easy to make...nothing fancy,doesn't even need any finish....dowels of your choice in size...1/4 egg sinker on the nose...3/8 on the rear....skin goes all the way up over the nose sinker...one treble is all you need up forward...2 trebles are over kill...toss it out...let it sink for a 10 count...,twitch the rod 2 or 3 times ..let it sink....bang!

1/2"

5/8" 

3/4" dowel...no  need for large skins...only need 2" of skin hanging off the back of the plug.

20181210_183815.jpeg

I am actually experimenting with alternative materials instead of eel skins for my plugs using resistance bands from physical therapy. I'll report back when I get a chance to test all the plugs I converted. I just want an option that won't require the hassle, the mess, the corrosion and wear and tear on my plugs. Always tinkering 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, patabate said:

My go to eel skin is a 2 3/8 oz Super Strike Little Neck Popper. Even though it’s technically a popper I rarely pop it except when you have those nights when you try every method. The plug needs no modification, the skin ties on firmly around the little neck. I use a single 2/0  5x strong Mustad belly hook and a short piece of wire off the tail hook holder. 

I like this plug because of its castability and the cupped face that will give it some resistance. It also has a slow swimming action and sink slightly on a moderately slow retrieve. It’s one of these lures that instills a lot of confidence in the casters mind. 

To rig it remove all the hooks and install the tail wire. The wire will prevent the tail from tangling with the belly hook. Put the skin over the plug and wire, tie it off around the neck with waxed rigging twine or dental floss. Trim the excess skin around the neck and attach the belly hook. 

1E394CFE-BBC4-429E-BDA4-C9B1242E3F59.jpeg

Also a favorite of mine because of its versatility. 

Side note more folks need to get hip to this plug in heavy and 2 3/8. Imagine having the ability to use it like a metal lip with its cup offering a gentle sway just below the surface with some water movement. It is so much more than a popper. It can be swam like a metal lip and used at several different speeds and intervals. 

My favorite is a Beachmaster jr.

Amazingly the plug I use is a parrot mackeral that I painted light blue metallic over . It was from before Beachmasters became collectible. I have had some nice fish on it.

I know Pat is a big fan of using these on bullets as well. Most of what I use I use because of him and other legends sharing information. One of the main reasons hunting stripers is exciting to me. The tactics, the strategy, the respect, the creativity and thinking outside the box.