ACFishing

Starter fly fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I myself have not done any fly fishing but I want to start a new chapter in fishing............. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations, gear, or basics of saltwater fly fishing

In addition to the search feature definitely try to find someone local who can show you the ropes. Perhaps find a club in your area. You will greatly shorten your learning curve if you learn hands on from those who know. Guides are always an option as are various clinics which are offered by some clubs, outfitters or lodges in various areas. 

Good luck! When you have specific questions come back and post them!

Alan

Well there you go. Get yourself invited along on a trip or three with these guys. Ask lots of questions. Try out their gear. Focus on the how and why, don't worry about the where so much. Ply them with good Scotch or beer or whatever it is they prefer. 

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Well there you go. Get yourself invited along on a trip or three with these guys. Ask lots of questions. Try out their gear. Focus on the how and why, don't worry about the where so much. Ply them with good Scotch or beer or whatever it is they prefer. 

any gear would you recommend? 

That's really a 64 thousand dollar question. So many factors effect appropriate gear for a beginner. What do you hope to catch? Where are you going to primarily fish? In what conditions will you fish? What's your budget? Do you want to buy new or used? 

Use the search feature in the top right corner of forum pages just below the StripersOnLine logo. Use words like "newbie" "beginner" "first fly outfit" "fly rod advice" etc. 

Here are a few threads to get you started;