Viessnamuth

Rhode Island spring run

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Tog season in RI is closed for the months June and July.

C&R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, DZ said:

Without getting into specific spots - back in the day first tog always came from the Tiverton Basin area during the last week of March.  But "consistent" action started mid-late April.  Of course back then there was no closed season.

You are more than correct DZ hopefully I’ll see you on the rocks and say hello!! I’m looking for a late night bass buddy! If you’re interested!!lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Viessnamuth said:

You’re the second person who has ever said this to me. And the other person who said this was the one who thought me how to fish!! But I usually go earlier and get lucky 

Taught**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, Viessnamuth said:

Gyea April 1st but they usually don’t get here until the end of the month

When I was young, my Portuguese uncle told me to start fishing for tautog once you see the first yellow dandelion. It had always held true for me. I should start fishing for tog again, after many years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atlantictrader said:

When I was young, my Portuguese uncle told me to start fishing for tautog once you see the first yellow dandelion. It had always held true for me. I should start fishing for tog again, after many years. 

Tog bass blues scup albies fish for every species :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Viessnamuth and dynasty.

Good to see another Fall River guy on the board.

Big tautog fan here, complete change of pace from striper fishing.

Fairly straight foreward when they are in thick and hungry, it's when they are not in too thick and not too hungry that the challenges occur.The little things, paying attention to detail, make all the difference on days like that.

Good luck for the coming season. Here's a few.

DSCF0383.JPG

DSCF0666.JPG

DSCF0739.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, saxon59 said:

Welcome Viessnamuth and dynasty.

Good to see another Fall River guy on the board.

Big tautog fan here, complete change of pace from striper fishing.

Fairly straight foreward when they are in thick and hungry, it's when they are not in too thick and not too hungry that the challenges occur.The little things, paying attention to detail, make all the difference on days like that.

Good luck for the coming season. Here's a few.

DSCF0383.JPG

DSCF0666.JPG

DSCF0739.JPG

Great catches!!! But I’m from Rhode Island 

6FB7C92F-C353-4C51-90B0-FB953661AC52.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 9:52 PM, fishfinder401 said:

I remeber someone telling me a long time ago about putting the sinker in a whiffle ball, is this worth a shot? Could keep it from being stuck as often... if not good thing inhave a weight mold!

That's interesting.  I never thought of that. But here's one that just popped into my little brain....

 

Prepare in advance:  Saran wrap a chunk of rock or sand...tie off with some scrap braid and tie on a snap swivel.  If you get hung up...you pull...the plastic rips open...good to go.  Free too...and no lead to contaminate the bottom.

 

Think that would work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

May in RI used to be good. Seems like each year it gets worse (harder to locate fish). Has anyone basically written off May as the real start of stripers?

I used to take a solid week of vacation to fish spring run...

But I don't do that anymore.

The first week of May used to be when i really started fishing hard for Keeper sized bass but not as much anymore.  Either way the new moon in May is my true start to fishing consistently at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kooky said:

The first week of May used to be when i really started fishing hard for Keeper sized bass but not as much anymore.  Either way the new moon in May is my true start to fishing consistently at night.

 

3 hours ago, Kooky said:

The first week of May used to be when i really started fishing hard for Keeper sized bass but not as much anymore.  Either way the new moon in May is my true start to fishing consistently at night.

I start in April 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, Viessnamuth said:

 

I start in April 

I start poking around in April, but its usually all dinks.  So May signifies to start getting night and more serious trips rolling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys just move here from Wisconsin or Idaho? The west wall in April will be covered with guys waiting for the first dinks to show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You guys just move here from Wisconsin or Idaho? The west wall in April will be covered with guys waiting for the first dinks to show up.

went there once for that, and after seeing so many small fish being targeted not going back... it would honestly make sense to put in a season for bass just so the first waves of small fish aren't beat up on so bad... that cant be doing anything good for their stocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.