IslandSurf

Jack Frech

34 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any of his plugs or pics of his work?For years ive been trying to find one but other then the stamped F i have no clue what to look for.

I got this from an old timer(90's) and he said Frech but I am not 100%. He spoke a lot about him and I know he sold some before he met me.  I don't know where to scrape off to look for a weight with a stamp on it. 

If I make it to a collectors show some day I will bring it. 

20180412_191028.jpg

2 mins ago, capesams said:

scrapping anything off that would be like taking a 300.00 plug an turning it into a 3.00 plug...don't do it...please!

No i will not it has special meaning from an old mentor. My best favorite plug.

Island surf what JF lure you asking about ? I have a few 

RR Bridge , Not all Jacks Lure weights have a F stamp on them.   It does help ID them .   He used decal eyes a lot wrote on the lure as in this picture.   

So many people copied that same lure on cape cod and the islands 

27C88625-3CE8-4B05-AFED-4FB2A86F0D1E.jpeg

6 mins ago, vineyardblues said:

Island surf what JF lure you asking about ? I have a few 

RR Bridge , Not all Jacks Lure weights have a F stamp on them.   It does help ID them .   He used decal eyes a lot wrote on the lure as in this picture.   

So many people copied that same lure on cape cod and the islands 

27C88625-3CE8-4B05-AFED-4FB2A86F0D1E.jpeg

I probably have a copy but in my mind i hope its real.

I've read a lot about him and am always interested in him.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I got this from an old timer(90's) and he said Frech but I am not 100%. He spoke a lot about him and I know he sold some before he met me.  I don't know where to scrape off to look for a weight with a stamp on it. 

If I make it to a collectors show some day I will bring it. 

20180412_191028.jpg

I have seen many Frech plugs direct from Jack. Speaking only of the ones I personally saw I have never seen one without Dynacord eyes. He used Polar Bear hair but the pic looks like bucktail, Don't remember glitter like that either. I never saw a single hook on the back of his Ballistic either. He may very well have made them otherwise but this does not look like those that I saw.

Edited by SC

The plug in posts #6 and #7 is the Ballistic. He wrote about it in Salt Water Sportsman, many years ago when that magazine was the staple reading of surfcasters.  I remember it well because it would never, never, never be published today; it included a very funny discussion of getting drunk on the beach with other anglers (I think it was on Nantucket) and sleeping it off on the beach.  It was also described in detail in a Long Island Fisherman plug building article.

8 hours ago, SC said:

I have seen many Frech plugs direct from Jack. Speaking only of the ones I personally saw I have never seen one without Dynacord eyes. He used Polar Bear hair but the pic looks like bucktail, Don't remember glitter like that either. I never saw a single hook on the back of his Ballistic either. He may very well have made them otherwise but this does not look like those that I saw.

Did I read this correctly?  He used polar bear hair?

as did capt'n Andy....he acquired it from a ranger from the far north...when a bear raided a town and wouldn't leave, they shot it as last resort...today I understand it's illegal to possess it.

Just to be clear - are Dynacord eyes are black center/yellow & black ringed decals used by many early surf plug makers.

Also never seen or heard of the the belly treble on pp 6 + do not see any evidence of the r/l thru lead that Frech showed for the Ballistic !!!

Also would like to see an F stamped lead, tho again Frech does not mention doing so in his lead making procedures. 

20 hours ago, SC said:

I have a Ballistic with those eyes