Poulin

South Florida fly fishing

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I’ll be in vacations with spouse in Fort Lauderdale for 7 days, first week of April. Even though fishing is not the purpose of this trip, I could not refrain myself to perform some research about it. There seems to be good opportunities not very far at Key Biscayne. Anyone has knowledge about it ? If so a good guide to recommend for a day trip on the flats ?

Thanks

Biscayne Bay is a good, but sometimes tough place.....given the proximity to Miami and the constant boat pressure.  Lots of good guides.  Bob Branham specializes in the Bay.  Bob LeMay lives closer to Ft Lauderdale and can be more wide-ranging than even Biscayne Bay....wherever the fishing is best.

Fishing has been off in this (I live in the Delray Beach/Boca Raton area for the last 6-7 years.

I live on the beach and fished every day from just before sun-up for an hour or two. I used to see and catch Snook, Tarpon, big jacks, Cuda, Pompano, etc.  I couldn't keep the fly away from the pesky Blue Runners who fight as well as a small Blue fish

Eating lunch on my 6th floor balcony - I would see Snook gliding by in the trough.  I would see big balls of bait pulsating and changing shape as fish attacked.

Now - nothing!  Not even blue runners. 

Been to Biscayne bay many times with guides.  Not my cup of tea - unless you enjoy the guide shouting :  "THERE  -  THERE - coming right at you 10 feet away FAST at 11:00.  Ahhhh - he spooked". 

I gave it up down there when the guide first fell off of the poling platform into the water - then half hour later had to take a dump off the stern of the boat.

Sorry for the rant.  That's why I can't wait to spend May and June on the Cape Beaches for Stripers.

BUT - I do understand the mind-set.  Water - therefore fish.

Herb

My father lives in Boynton Beach and I fish the beach every time I'm down there.   I've caught snook, small tarpon (only once), barracuda and more blue runners than I can remember.  I usually walk the beach just before sunrise and sunset regardless of the tide.   I don't think the fishing is that great, or maybe my skills are not, but it's always fun to get out and fish in shorts and bare feet.  

I find the Ole Florida Fly Shop to be a great resource for information.   They are on the expensive side but I always buy a few flies when i go in and find the local knowledge they provide is more than worth it.   

Actually, the cost of guides in Miami and even the keys is generally lower that of guides on Cape Cod.  I assume that is because FL is where all the Cape Cod guides go when they burn out.....heavy competition.....and the season is really year round rather than 4 months out of the year.

Check it out.

Back in my younger days when I was still working and I was in different places the urge to fish was very strong and there were times when I could not afford a guide but there was always a local shop that I could visit and buy a few flies and try to get some intel on where to fish. I would then go to those places with my new local patterns and fish, it did not matter if I caught fish really, it was really about just being on the water and making some casts and enjoying the surroundings.

Herb one of the things I also heard about the Cape Guides that a few of them, especially the shore guides were well known for telling their clients who never fished the flats before out at Monomoy when things were slow to suddenly stop an say 11 o'clock quick nice fish 60 ft make a cast and soon to follow with "spooked him". There never was a fish but it kept the juices flowing. I suspect it is a common practice still in some places.

Monomoy was so good back in the day but it was scary at times to see what would take the ferry to fish, it was very easy to spot the guys who had never been there before.

Bret,

Boynton does hold fish - the inlet.

I do sometimes go there before dawn.  But so do the people who go to see the sunrise - so you have to be careful with your backcast.

Once a paddle boarder told me that that there were Snook laying quietly just off a jetty - right where I was casting.  They are tough to fool

Thank you very much gentlemen, very good infos ! Much appreciated. On certain websites it is Sylver King capital of the world and so on...

Will chew that for a while, spend good time with the lady is not bad either !

On 3/5/2019 at 2:34 PM, Brett28B said:

I find the Ole Florida Fly Shop to be a great resource for information.   They are on the expensive side but I always buy a few flies when i go in and find the local knowledge they provide is more than worth it.   

I agree that Ole Florida is great for information. Darren, the owner,used to have fly tying "classes" or sessions every two weeks (maybe they still do this). A great fly shop.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, 0830 said:

I agree that Ole Florida is great for information. Darren, the owner,used to have fly tying "classes" or sessions every two weeks (maybe they still do this). A great fly shop.

I actually like Mike better at that store... not many fly shops down there.

Also down forget the canals down there for bass, peacocks, cichlids & the likes.

Edited by gman1253