gorkmonster

Unique Travel Surf Rod Blank Recommendation

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone.  Essentially, I am hoping to build "one rod to rule them all" to fish both the area surrounding my new address in Washington, and to be somewhat practical for fishing back here in Rhode Island.  In order to carry it on flights, the rod will have to be built off a travel blank, 3 pieces and no longer than 8 ft.  The weight rating will will have to be roughly 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz to handle small steelhead floats, spinners, medium SP Minnows, and 1.5 oz bucktails.  Most guys out in Washington seem to use their steelhead rods for fishing species like rock fish and surf perch, and some even use them for ling cod.  I'm hoping to build a rod that bridges the gap between a pure Steelhead float rod and a lighter surf rod you might find in a RI surfcaster's arsenal.  That means I'll also need a blank with a moderate responsive backbone and a quick taper to a soft tip. 

Does a blank like this even exist? Has anyone built on a blank like this before? Suggestions are much appreciated.

Preferred Blank Specs:

Length: 8 ft

Lure weight: 3/8 oz-1.5 oz

Pieces: 3

Action: medium/fast

Application: (Shore Fishing)

Steelhead,Salmon, Lingcod, Cabezon, Halibut, Rockfish, Greenling, Surf Perch, Stripers, Bluefish, Tog, Albies, Bonito, my cousins left ear.

Other Notes:

-Pairing with Stradic 4k or Gosa 5k.  Maybe a VR 50 or VSX 100 bailed if I ever get back to RI.

-Most likely building With BKWAG stripper and first reduction guide followed by single foot alconites.

It's also worth mentioning the nearest population of ocean dwelling stripers resides about a six hour drive south of my new address, so the rod will come along to help investigate at some point.

Check the travel blanks at Mudhole.  They have several MHX, Phenix and St Croix travel blanks in your length range.  I just bought the St Croix SCIV 7'6" 3pc HF 3/4-3oz blank.  Heavier than what you are looking for, but they have the most choices I found anywhere.  The St Croix blanks are disappearing fast from their site just in the last two weeks.

Thanks! I did see that mudhole had a bunch of blanks up to 7'6 in my weight range, but with them being bass blanks, or pure saltwater oriented I was concerned about their stiffneess for salmon/steelhead mouths.  Have you received your rod yet?  How much flex is in the rod tip?

Posted (edited) · Report post

At 8ft, a 50/50 split 2-piece rod can travel anywhere and anyway 3-piece rod can while performing as an every day rod where a 3-piece rod would just be a hassle and liability.

Look into the available 2-piece blanks before settling on a 3-piece. 

Edited by Beastly Backlash

2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

At 8ft, a 50/50 split 2-piece rod can travel anywhere and anyway 3-piece rod can while performing as an every day rod where a 3-piece rod would just be a hassle and liability.

Look into the available 2-piece blanks before settling on a 3-piece. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was definetly considering the 50 50 split, just wasn't sure about carrying it on an airplane as it ends up being almost a 5 foot tube.  Do you have any experience with this?

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was definetly considering the 50 50 split, just wasn't sure about carrying it on an airplane as it ends up being almost a 5 foot tube.  Do you have any experience with this?

I travel quite a bit to fish and have found that pretty much any rod with a 50/50 split up to 9ft in length works perfectly as a carry on item. However, I do not carry the rods in a case, I put foam around the tips and wrap the rods together instead.

A tube would be considered a carry on bag more then likely, but two or three rods wrapped together is considered an item.

I put my reels in my carry on bag.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Century has a 3pc 9ft travel rod that's fits your bill, I have one and love it, it will work perfect for what you want to do.  I used mine steelhead fishing last year, I've trout/flounder fished with it in the Carolinas,  caught numerous big stripers on it. 

R&R I have been looking at that Century rod for a while.  Very $$$$.  But, what do you think about the power?  I am looking for a rod that can excel at casting lures in the 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz range but still have the power to handle strong fish like pargos, cubera snappers etc in the Mexico surf.