finefish

Best set up for boat fishing

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I know there are tons of posts and replies about "what's the best combo", but I am curious what people are using for rod and reel set ups when targeting bass from a boat in different scenarios. What are the best live bait, trolling, jigging, light tackle, etc. set ups for targeting stripers from a boat in each price range <250, 250-500, >500 dollars and why? I am almost always fishing with live bait and my 3 favorite set ups are; 7' pro blue MH 12-25lb matched with a cabo 60 with 50lb suffix 832, 7' 6" St Croix avid inshore 10-20lb mh with a saragossa 5000 with 30lb suffix 832, and a 7' lamiglass triflex 20-40lb with a shimano torium 20 with 65lb suffix 832. For less expensive combos I have always done well with an ugly stik and penn battle. So, what does everyone else have for set ups on their boat?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to take only one of my set ups for bait striper fishing from a boat it would be my MH ugly stick tiger lite with an old penn jigmaster which I believe has 40# braid on it, definitely not the fanciest but works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve got a pair of AVET LX 6/3 lever drag 2-speed reels paired with 7’ Okuma Makaira Convention rods. 300 yards of 65lb braid on the reels. I love these setups. They’re slight overkill for mid size bass, but I’d rather be over gunned than under gunned. 

 

I could pretty much do anything with these setups - livelining, jigging, trolling,  bottom fishing with jigs or bait for ground fish, etc. I take on with me for livelining pogies off the kayak as well. And, I’m taking one to the keys with me for hopefully feeding live mullet to tarpon.

 

From a cost standpoint, they’re definitely high end, right around $500-$550 per setup, but they’re worth it in my opinion. 

Edited by JTR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My go-to spinning reel is a St. Croix Avid, but I pair it with a Shimano Baitrunner 6000 and 50lb. braid.  I save the Saragossa for casting big plugs with an 11' surf rod and for tuna with a Shimano Terez.  The Baitrunner covers everything but trolling, for which I use either old Penns or Avets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im a big fan of the ugly stik tigers and tiger elites. I tried out an vet last year and liked it but for live baiting i prefer a star drag to a lever drag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a lamiglas BFC70H with an accurate FX2600 with 65lb briad for trolling mojos and other various stuff. It works great having the 2 speed option helps as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

Im a big fan of the ugly stik tigers and tiger elites. I tried out an vet last year and liked it but for live baiting i prefer a star drag to a lever drag

Totally agree on the Tigers. They are great rods at an affordable price.

 

Im surprised that you prefer a star drag though. I feel like the biggest advantage of the lever drag is for live bait fishing. With the lever drag, you have the ability to fine tune the drag to accommodate the size of the bait that you’re fishing with. I like to have the bait barely unable to pull line, so that when it is eaten, there’s minimal resistance for the fish. I can fish a 6” mackerel followed up by a 14” pogie and accomplish this easily with the lever drag. That’s much more difficult with the star drag reel with a free spool switch, even when using the clicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, JTR said:

Totally agree on the Tigers. They are great rods at an affordable price.

 

Im surprised that you prefer a star drag though. I feel like the biggest advantage of the lever drag is for live bait fishing. With the lever drag, you have the ability to fine tune the drag to accommodate the size of the bait that you’re fishing with. I like to have the bait barely unable to pull line, so that when it is eaten, there’s minimal resistance for the fish. I can fish a 6” mackerel followed up by a 14” pogie and accomplish this easily with the lever drag. That’s much more difficult with the star drag reel with a free spool switch, even when using the clicker.

When I live line baits (macks, ponies, etc) i always have the reel in free spool no clicker. i thumb it as lightly as possible for a 2-3 sec count when the bass takes the bait then lock it up and set the hook. This gives the absolute minimal resistance possible  A star drag allows me to have a preset drag so i don't have to fiddle with it during the fight. I can just engage it and go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

When I live line baits (macks, ponies, etc) i always have the reel in free spool no clicker. i thumb it as lightly as possible for a 2-3 sec count when the bass takes the bait then lock it up and set the hook. This gives the absolute minimal resistance possible  A star drag allows me to have a preset drag so i don't have to fiddle with it during the fight. I can just engage it and go. 

There’s the difference. If I fished with the rod in hand, I agree with you. I usually fish a few baits simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

livevelining for bass off the boat.  either hold w/ open spool or put in rod holder on light drag.

 

trevalia tvc66mh w/ a gossa 6000sw spooled with 50lb braid to a 50-60lb fluoro leader to a 8/0 bn 3x or 4x circle hook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.