ACFishing

Prized Catches

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DoorGunner said:

A very special day for me.

Back in early 73 and I hadn't fished once since my return from Vietnam in August of 71. Had fished all the time with Dad before entering the army but when I returned it just wasn't in me and Dad gave me the room that I needed back then but I knew he missed it. 

For whatever reason I found myself walking Pennypack Creek in Philly on opening day of the trout season. No tackle and I still don't know why I went there that day but I was along the edge of the creek watching mostly kids toss everything imaginable at the stocked trout. I had spent every opening day on the creek up to when I entered the army and now I was just strolling and watching. All the good spots were jammed with kids waiting for a strike and once in a while I could hear hoots and hollers as a trout made a mortal mistake. Up ahead I could see a kid around ten and I guess his dad fishing an empty area that everyone else avoided because it was too shallow. I could see the father trying to teach his kid to cast but it wasn't going well as the hook went in every direction but towards the water. As I got closer I could see the problem with the lessons, the little boy was blind.

I sat on a tree stump to watch and hope that this would work out. and to admire the dad. Never lost his cool and kept setting up for the next cast then pull the hook out of some branches behind them. Finally the kid hit the water then hit it again and I marveled that the dad did this with no visual help.The kid made about five decent casts when WHAM his line went tight and he had a rainbow on. The look on the kids face was incredible and matched by the one his proud and equally excited dad had. I got up and walked as close as I could as the kid lifted the small trout out of the water and smacked his dad right in the chest with it. The kid fell on his butt and just smiled looking up when dad took the hook out and carefully placed the trout in his sons hands. It was like a shock as the kids face changed from a smile to total wonder and he ran his fingers over every inch of that fish seeing with his fingers. Dad took his son to the edge of the water and he gently released it and then they hugged and I swear I think I cried. It was so emotional.

What I remember most was going home after that and finding dad in his recliner watching Wide World of Sports. I sat down and smiled at him and said. How about we do some fishing. He had the same look on his face as the kids dad did. My most memorable fishing trip ever and I never wet a line. 

Man great story thank you for sharing that. Brought tears to my eyes. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Former NJ Record Bueline Tile & TimS & my son from about 20 years ago.

118-1856_IMG.JPG

bencod3 - Copy.jpg

Dang State record, How long did it take to get verified? 

Most memorable was out in the surf in Gulf Shores 6 years ago.  I was down there with a buddy as a last hurrah before having kids.  I was a month out from having twin boys.  We had been on and off fishing and boozing for most of the day.  I wound up getting into some pompano and there was a guy next to me who couldn't catch anything and was watching me pull them in.  I tried to give him some pointers on how I was working my bait but still nothing for him.  So I asked if he wanted to keep a few of the fish I was catching.  He said yes and was grateful for a few Pompano in the cooler.

At that point I was out of bait and saw him packing up and asked if we could have the rest of his shrimp to use.  He happily obliged and we had a handful to use.  After an hour or two I was pretty well buzzed, the sun was setting a blood red and I was out in the surf using the last of the shrimp the other guy had given me and it was smaller puniest shrimp you had ever seen.  I casted out and just stared off into that blazing sunset relishing the chance to have a line in the water and pondering at just how much my world was about to change when BAM!  My rod tip doubled over.  I was using a small bass rod and some braid.  I worked the fish in after 20 minutes and it was a monster red fish.  I was blown away.  Snapped some photos and worked with her to recover and then watched as she slowly made her way out in the surf.  It was truly a magic moment for me and one I'll never forget.  A couple pics below.

Redfish 1.JPG

Refish 2.JPG

2 hours ago, gratefuldylan said:

Most memorable was out in the surf in Gulf Shores 6 years ago.  I was down there with a buddy as a last hurrah before having kids.  I was a month out from having twin boys.  We had been on and off fishing and boozing for most of the day.  I wound up getting into some pompano and there was a guy next to me who couldn't catch anything and was watching me pull them in.  I tried to give him some pointers on how I was working my bait but still nothing for him.  So I asked if he wanted to keep a few of the fish I was catching.  He said yes and was grateful for a few Pompano in the cooler.

At that point I was out of bait and saw him packing up and asked if we could have the rest of his shrimp to use.  He happily obliged and we had a handful to use.  After an hour or two I was pretty well buzzed, the sun was setting a blood red and I was out in the surf using the last of the shrimp the other guy had given me and it was smaller puniest shrimp you had ever seen.  I casted out and just stared off into that blazing sunset relishing the chance to have a line in the water and pondering at just how much my world was about to change when BAM!  My rod tip doubled over.  I was using a small bass rod and some braid.  I worked the fish in after 20 minutes and it was a monster red fish.  I was blown away.  Snapped some photos and worked with her to recover and then watched as she slowly made her way out in the surf.  It was truly a magic moment for me and one I'll never forget.  A couple pics below.

Redfish 1.JPG

Refish 2.JPG

holy crap that is one hell of a story!

Not a big or rare fish story, but more sentimental for me. Lucky enough to get to fish a lot with both my grandfather and father. Definitely a past time we all shared together since I was very little. 

We had this conventional custom made for either my grandfathers birthday or his retirement. Nothing overly special, but a nice wrap, his name on it. Good fluke rod and what not. Once he passed I inherited all his fishing gear and just hung it up for a while. But a couple falls ago I decided he'd be happier knowing it was being fished. So I put some new line on his old Abu 5500 and had a solid day chucking plugs at stripers. Not sure he ever caught one on it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 9.25.17 PM.png

9 hours ago, surfcityNJ said:

Not a big or rare fish story, but more sentimental for me. Lucky enough to get to fish a lot with both my grandfather and father. Definitely a past time we all shared together since I was very little. 

We had this conventional custom made for either my grandfathers birthday or his retirement. Nothing overly special, but a nice wrap, his name on it. Good fluke rod and what not. Once he passed I inherited all his fishing gear and just hung it up for a while. But a couple falls ago I decided he'd be happier knowing it was being fished. So I put some new line on his old Abu 5500 and had a solid day chucking plugs at stripers. Not sure he ever caught one on it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 9.25.17 PM.png

memories like that are very memorable

Most of my best memories are of fish that I put other people on--a first mako, a first dolphin, a first fly rod yellowfin, a grad student who, as part of her research, I put on a big thresher last year.  These days, I get more of a rush putting other people on fish than I do catching my own.

But if I had to pick one of my own, it probably would have been a king salmon I caught on the Kenai River.

We were scheduled for two salmon trips that week.  The first day wen't pretty well.  We released a bunch of decent fish, and each of the four of us kept one, too (on the Kenai, you can release all that you want, but once you keep one, you're done for the day).  I was fortunate enough to take a fairly decent fish of 42 pounds.

The next salmon trip, fewer fish had entered the river, and fishing was slower (they regulate the fishery, and ensure spawning stock, by having some no-gill net days each week; the first trip was on such a day; the second trip, gill nets were being used, and intercepted a lot of the salmon before they got to our section of river).  Not sure why I said it, but I announced that I'd release all of my fish that day, unless I caught one bigger than the one I caught a couple of days before.  At that point I was committed, which meant that I probably wouldn't be taking anything home, because the 42 was a bit larger than anything anyone in our boat, or staying at our lodge, had caught so far. 

So our guide tried to find us fish.  One of our party kept a fish of around 20 pounds.  I released a 25.  My wife got a nice one, that later weighed in at 41.  But fishing was slow.  Finally, I get another hit, and this fish is solid.  It takes off, ripping line from the reel.  It turns around and races at the boat; I can't reel fast enough to take up slack, and thought that I lost it, but finally I come up tight again with the fish almost under the boat--at which point it comes up into the air, bounces off a corner of the transom, and then takes off again.

Finally, the salmon is netted and is brought aboard.  It's clearly bigger than my fish of a few days before.  My day is done.

Back on shore, our guide hands a scale for the weigh in, and we each hang our fish.  Mine went 51, and I was feeling pretty good, when a small girl--maybe 10 years old--walks over.  She already walks with the swagger that says she's a local, and probably knows how to fish.

"How big?" she asks.

The guide says "51," at which point the girls sort of sneers, and says "That's nothin'.  I had a 72 this morning!" hitches up her jeans, and walks away.

It was a nice fish.  But it was the girl, and her comment, who made it so memorable.

Bonefish in Exuma after getting rushed by a Lemon Shark was exhilarating

I'll have to find the story. It's been told already enough times.

IMG_2085.JPG

Last year I was teaching one of my friends how to fish. It was our second time out and we were using Carolina rigs for rainbow trout. It was around 5 pm and we were getting ready to pack up. We had caught a couple keepers that day but nothing too big. There were some big boulders off to one side and the rest was just smaller rocks. I had casted at the boulders a few times before but I would always get snagged and my braid would fray and snap. I decided that I would try one more time on the last cast. I feel a couple taps and Bam! A fish hits and runs. I always keep very low drag for trout because I enjoy the fight, but this guy was big and strong. I had to keep him out of the boulders for the whole 15 minute fight and when I finally beat him he was the same length of our net (which is 24 inches or 60 cm) we landed him without the net and I hooked my friend on fishing.

here are some pictures 

144174A2-596D-42C3-B31D-AF74600AB4AD.jpeg

E20CA7B5-5D0D-42D2-8755-023A38D3EAF9.jpeg

I went out to fish before Christmas Eve on my hunt for some stripers here in NJ. There was nice white water but no fish or fisherman in sight near one of the inlets. I was throwing an AVA jig and i got whacked by a fish I had no clue what it was I thought it was an albie by the way it ran. However when I got it on he beach it ended up being a 27in bonito!!!