ACFishing

Prized Catches

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I wanna dedicate this topic to anyone who wants to share their most memorable catches and biggest losses in their fishing career, it could be a picture or a story.

I was fishing on a jetty as the tide was closing in on the start of outgoing. The wind was whipping so hard it was knocking me around but there had been giant bunker in the area earlier in the day. I knew that I had to keep trucking through the storm if I wanted to be rewarded. I clipped on a white 3/4 oz smiling bill bucktail and casted it as hard as I could dead ahead. I was paying attention to sink time to figure out how deep the water was that I was fishing. As I reeled in I was feeling some taps that seemed abnormal and much different than my previous retrieves with plugs. After 2 or 3 casts I came to the conclusion that these taps were bunker hitting my line as I retrieved my plug. I took another cast, hit bottom, and lifted the tip to get the bucktial moving. As i rasied the tip I felt a sharp tap and set the hook fairly hard. Upon the hook set I felt 2 big surges in the rod as the large fishes broom tail propelled the fish off into the dark horizon. After a fairly long bout of directing this fish away from buoys, rocks, and other anglers line, I had this fish on its side about 30 ft in front of me. The size of this fish took my breath away and I lost my deep concentration. The anglers to my right respectfully had their lines in at this point as I walked this beast to the landing zone that was approximately 15 yards from me. I walked her slow and patiently but I made the mistake of pulling her more horizontally then vertically. This mistake cost me BIG TIME. about 30 ft from the landing zone this beautiful beast had enough life to shake her head on the surface and my bucktail fell out simoultaneously. From the looks of the event, my small bucktail didnt even penetrate the fishes mouth. Im glad I got to see her but wish I could have held her. Another angler right next to me caught the next fish on the next cast; We estimated his fish to be 50#. We all agreed that the fish I lost that night had atleast 10#/5-6" on his fish.

Ill be back same time and same place this year, because its the ones that get away that keep us coming back. 

40 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I was fishing on a jetty as the tide was closing in on the start of outgoing. The wind was whipping so hard it was knocking me around but there had been giant bunker in the area earlier in the day. I knew that I had to keep trucking through the storm if I wanted to be rewarded. I clipped on a white 3/4 oz smiling bill bucktail and casted it as hard as I could dead ahead. I was paying attention to sink time to figure out how deep the water was that I was fishing. As I reeled in I was feeling some taps that seemed abnormal and much different than my previous retrieves with plugs. After 2 or 3 casts I came to the conclusion that these taps were bunker hitting my line as I retrieved my plug. I took another cast, hit bottom, and lifted the tip to get the bucktial moving. As i rasied the tip I felt a sharp tap and set the hook fairly hard. Upon the hook set I felt 2 big surges in the rod as the large fishes broom tail propelled the fish off into the dark horizon. After a fairly long bout of directing this fish away from buoys, rocks, and other anglers line, I had this fish on its side about 30 ft in front of me. The size of this fish took my breath away and I lost my deep concentration. The anglers to my right respectfully had their lines in at this point as I walked this beast to the landing zone that was approximately 15 yards from me. I walked her slow and patiently but I made the mistake of pulling her more horizontally then vertically. This mistake cost me BIG TIME. about 30 ft from the landing zone this beautiful beast had enough life to shake her head on the surface and my bucktail fell out simoultaneously. From the looks of the event, my small bucktail didnt even penetrate the fishes mouth. Im glad I got to see her but wish I could have held her. Another angler right next to me caught the next fish on the next cast; We estimated his fish to be 50#. We all agreed that the fish I lost that night had atleast 10#/5-6" on his fish.

Ill be back same time and same place this year, because its the ones that get away that keep us coming back. 

You know a big fish is on the line and I mean really big fish when you can feel every swipe that their big tails paddles.

Most memorable was a commando night at block.

last year was my first trip to the island. Planed for 6mo ahead. Go out and meet some new faces for a week of deer dodging.

showed up Friday mid day and get the full tour of the what’s what from my experience friend.

we calculate our findings and choose a starting spot. This is when I’m told we don’t have lodging till 10am Saturday. So we start a long shift of casting. Just after last light we are into frisky keepers. At this point I’m blown away that I was able to see this landscape first hand but now into drag screaming fish.

Moved around and continue to find hungry  fish. Sun is coming up at this point and fish are dieing out. The adrenaline and the excitement of the night starts to settle in.  we are now walking ghosts, hunting for the first breakfast place to turn a light on and bring us salvation from our self inflicted abuse.

This first night I will never forget.

3D1C92B4-780C-4AAA-BB6D-43D7CFF62955.jpeg

One of my earliest & best memories of fishing when I was a child.  I can't remember exactly, but I guess I had to be around 6 going on 7.  I was out on a boat with my uncle and grandfather in great bay and we were fishing for weakies.  My grandfather had bought me a new rod and reel... the same as he and my uncle were using.  We were well into fishing and had all caught fish at this point, but I remember standing up front and hooking up.  As I turned to the back to say "fish on" I see both my grandfather and uncle set hooks at the same time.  I think my uncle yelled "a triple!"

That image is what comes to mind when someone asks me "how did you get started fishing?"  All of us laughing, fishing and having a great time.  I don't remember much else of that trip and it really isn't a "prized catch" per se... but it's a memory that will forever be locked away as one of the defining points in my love of fishing.

4 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Thats gotta be so tragic i've lost so many nice fish that i thought I was definitely gonna bring in.

2 hours ago, DaD0ughB0y said:

One of my earliest & best memories of fishing when I was a child.  I can't remember exactly, but I guess I had to be around 6 going on 7.  I was out on a boat with my uncle and grandfather in great bay and we were fishing for weakies.  My grandfather had bought me a new rod and reel... the same as he and my uncle were using.  We were well into fishing and had all caught fish at this point, but I remember standing up front and hooking up.  As I turned to the back to say "fish on" I see both my grandfather and uncle set hooks at the same time.  I think my uncle yelled "a triple!"

That image is what comes to mind when someone asks me "how did you get started fishing?"  All of us laughing, fishing and having a great time.  I don't remember much else of that trip and it really isn't a "prized catch" per se... but it's a memory that will forever be locked away as one of the defining points in my love of fishing.

I would count great fishing memories as "Prized Catches"

32 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Sorry for your loss, Dragons!  I feel sick just reading that story.  :laugh:

Well I got to see her! So i am able to sleep at night. The only problem is that for the past 11 months I see that fish every time I close my eyes at nights.

59 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Well I got to see her! So i am able to sleep at night. The only problem is that for the past 11 months I see that fish every time I close my eyes at nights.

the worst ones are the ones that haunt us at night

This one's for my kid, now 20. Just before he turned 11 we were on a 6 pack drift boat out of Jupiter FL fishing sardines in mid column for kings when his rod takes off. Mate says it's not a shark, since it's going for the horizon not the bottom. They actually fire up and follow so he doesn't get spooled, poor kid could barely hold the rod even with help from the mate!  Amazingly, he lands a 40# wahoo as tall as he was! Captain said it was extremely rare to pick up a wahoo that way. His PB still beats mine! Hopefully someday his focus will come to back fishing, right now he's an avid rock and ice climber. He's going to be glacier guiding in Alaska this summer, I'm going to try to convince him to bring a flyrod and waders.

5965300b49aa6_AdamWahoo_thjaws_thjaws.jpg.c9f37849c07be4b2d9a727181e3f54dd.jpg

33 mins ago, gellfex said:

This one's for my kid, now 20. Just before he turned 11 we were on a 6 pack drift boat out of Jupiter FL fishing sardines in mid column for kings when his rod takes off. Mate says it's not a shark, since it's going for the horizon not the bottom. They actually fire up and follow so he doesn't get spooled, poor kid could barely hold the rod even with help from the mate!  Amazingly, he lands a 40# wahoo as tall as he was! Captain said it was extremely rare to pick up a wahoo that way. His PB still beats mine! Hopefully someday his focus will come to back fishing, right now he's an avid rock and ice climber. He's going to be glacier guiding in Alaska this summer, I'm going to try to convince him to bring a flyrod and waders.

5965300b49aa6_AdamWahoo_thjaws_thjaws.jpg.c9f37849c07be4b2d9a727181e3f54dd.jpg

Great story, The youth are starting to become better than the old guys

A very special day for me.

Back in early 73 and I hadn't fished once since my return from Vietnam in August of 71. Had fished all the time with Dad before entering the army but when I returned it just wasn't in me and Dad gave me the room that I needed back then but I knew he missed it. 

For whatever reason I found myself walking Pennypack Creek in Philly on opening day of the trout season. No tackle and I still don't know why I went there that day but I was along the edge of the creek watching mostly kids toss everything imaginable at the stocked trout. I had spent every opening day on the creek up to when I entered the army and now I was just strolling and watching. All the good spots were jammed with kids waiting for a strike and once in a while I could hear hoots and hollers as a trout made a mortal mistake. Up ahead I could see a kid around ten and I guess his dad fishing an empty area that everyone else avoided because it was too shallow. I could see the father trying to teach his kid to cast but it wasn't going well as the hook went in every direction but towards the water. As I got closer I could see the problem with the lessons, the little boy was blind.

I sat on a tree stump to watch and hope that this would work out. and to admire the dad. Never lost his cool and kept setting up for the next cast then pull the hook out of some branches behind them. Finally the kid hit the water then hit it again and I marveled that the dad did this with no visual help.The kid made about five decent casts when WHAM his line went tight and he had a rainbow on. The look on the kids face was incredible and matched by the one his proud and equally excited dad had. I got up and walked as close as I could as the kid lifted the small trout out of the water and smacked his dad right in the chest with it. The kid fell on his butt and just smiled looking up when dad took the hook out and carefully placed the trout in his sons hands. It was like a shock as the kids face changed from a smile to total wonder and he ran his fingers over every inch of that fish seeing with his fingers. Dad took his son to the edge of the water and he gently released it and then they hugged and I swear I think I cried. It was so emotional.

What I remember most was going home after that and finding dad in his recliner watching Wide World of Sports. I sat down and smiled at him and said. How about we do some fishing. He had the same look on his face as the kids dad did. My most memorable fishing trip ever and I never wet a line. 

5 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Back in early 73 and I hadn't fished once since my return from Vietnam in August of 71. Had fished all the time with Dad before entering the army but when I returned it just wasn't in me and Dad gave me the room that I needed back then but I knew he missed it. 

For whatever reason I found myself walking Pennypack Creek in Philly on opening day of the trout season. No tackle and I still don't know why I went there that day but I was along the edge of the creek watching mostly kids toss everything imaginable at the stocked trout. I had spent every opening day on the creek up to when I entered the army and now I was just strolling and watching. All the good spots were jammed with kids waiting for a strike and once in a while I could hear hoots and hollers as a trout made a mortal mistake. Up ahead I could see a kid around ten and I guess his dad fishing an empty area that everyone else avoided because it was too shallow. I could see the father trying to teach his kid to cast but it wasn't going well as the hook went in every direction but towards the water. As I got closer I could see the problem with the lessons, the little boy was blind.

I sat on a tree stump to watch and hope that this would work out. and to admire the dad. Never lost his cool and kept setting up for the next cast then pull the hook out of some branches behind them. Finally the kid hit the water then hit it again and I marveled that the dad did this with no visual help.The kid made about five decent casts when WHAM his line went tight and he had a rainbow on. The look on the kids face was incredible and matched by the one his proud and equally excited dad had. I got up and walked as close as I could as the kid lifted the small trout out of the water and smacked his dad right in the chest with it. The kid fell on his butt and just smiled looking up when dad took the hook out and carefully placed the trout in his sons hands. It was like a shock as the kids face changed from a smile to total wonder and he ran his fingers over every inch of that fish seeing with his fingers. Dad took his son to the edge of the water and he gently released it and then they hugged and I swear I think I cried. It was so emotional.

What I remember most was going home after that and finding dad in his recliner watching Wide World of Sports. I sat down and smiled at him and said. How about we do some fishing. He had the same look on his face as the kids dad did. My most memorable fishing trip ever and I never wet a line. 

Damn you! Now we're all teary.

12 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Thats such a emotionally happy story, You never get memories like that back!