Thumb-Burner

Recommendations for storing kayak outside

15 posts in this topic

Picking up my first kayak in next month or so.  Going to have to store outside.  Looking for options of how best to do so without spending a ton but still caring for the kayak.

In NC.  No major snow to worry about here

Lean it up against the house. If you can keep it out of the sun great. If not, put a UV tarp over it. There isn't one way. In season I leave my kayak on the cart strapped down and a cooler to pop up the bow. I don't care if the hull gets pressed in on the Revo from being on the cart. It probably helps with the tracking. I think folks baby their kayaks at times when you really don't need to baby. It's a cheap piece of plastic. Fish it hard, sell it and buy another. Buy a few. It's what I do.

Can you put a rack on the side of your house or garage?  I made one with plywood "outriggers" cut to the shape of the hull profile.  Add some foam or carpet strip.  Simple.  You could do a freestanding version with vertical 4x4 posts instead if the sidewall of the garage.  Get a canvas and throw over...tie tightly so wind doesn't whip.it around and flog the surface, causing marks.

Mine (2) hang upside down on straps under my deck.  Laying on its edge/side may cause some deformation which the sun easily cures.  Shade if you can, long term.

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Lean it up against the house. If you can keep it out of the sun great. If not, put a UV tarp over it. 

x2

If you get a sit in, it’s a good idea to buy/fabricate a cockpit cover so you don’t get any insects/animals living in there. Otherwise it could be as simple as  leaning the thing against the house as mentioned above. 

13 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Sorry for the super-crude drawing.  You get the picture hopefully.

Screenshot_2019-03-03-20-11-15.png

Dude, it kinda  looks like an ultrasound. Lol Congratulations 

4 hours ago, Pma531 said:

Dude, it kinda  looks like an ultrasound. Lol Congratulations 

Just a dim memory now! Haha.  

Nice rack. I added some wheels to mine so I could roll it around.

I Also put some plywood down for shelving. But I think your design works best for being outside.

Mine is in my garage.

You may want to cap the ends to prevent insects from moving inside your rack . Looks great. 

Kayaks are inside, canoe is outside.

-keep the sun off of it.  Try to keep an air gap between the kayak and cover, keeps the plastic cooler.

-Make sure you get all the water out first, stand it up so everything drains down to the plug.

-Get some screen mesh and cover the cockpit, tie it up with a bungie cord.   Boat will smell like food.  Critters will be attracted to it.

18 mins ago, triumph said:

Squirrels are giving me hard times. Gnawing on my plastic patio furniture and super can too.

Damn, looks like they're trying to blackmail you into throwing them some peanuts! Maybe plant an oak tree?

If I had to keep em outside I'd probably build some kind of narrow shed with a rack inside next to the garage or house. 

Mine just sits outside under the deck and it has been fine for 4 seasons so far, but at the same time I only paid 500 bucks for it so I ain't babying it.