saltfisherman

Todays appalling conditions

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Finally had some time to get out, it’s been a bit of time since I’ve done any fishing. 

Estero bay is horrible looking water. When you stick the kayak paddle in the water, the end gets lost one foot down. You can actually see the particals in the water. Talking to another guy who comes out of the estero river to fish was telling me the lower river has a scum line/algae to it. What a mess. The color at the passes is the same all over. 

As far as fish themselves go. I did catch a couple sheepshead. 

Hi Salt, have been down here for two days fly fishing from shore in the Bonita area and can only say I have caught more in two days than two weeks this time last year  and I typically only fish 2-3 hours before breakfast. Jacks , snook , ladyfish and tons of bait . Incoming tide seems to be working so far.

How is that even possible indcoop ?

the OP has been spewing this nonsense for a while now

I think he needs to move back to joisey or wherever the hell he came from :rolleyes:

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, indcoop said:

Hi Salt, have been down here for two days fly fishing from shore in the Bonita area and can only say I have caught more in two days than two weeks this time last year  and I typically only fish 2-3 hours before breakfast. Jacks , snook , ladyfish and tons of bait . Incoming tide seems to be working so far.

"...tons of bait".. <--- huge understatement. 

the "diving pelican count"  at Big Hickory/Pass was absolutely off the charts on sunday... 

Glad you had fun, Ind...

Edited by Mauru

I don't fish Ensto Bay that far south   Tampa Bay = bait is off the charts & so is the catching everything is aLIVE but its very unusual for February  cold front moved in and temps dropped ...... by next Wednesday it will be 80 degrees  

19 hours ago, indcoop said:

That’s great. I’m glad you’ve been doing good. I haven’t fished out front at all in quite some time. The color has been lousy inside. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Will be in Bonita Springs on Friday for a week, shrimp bucket in tow, looking forward to some warm weather and fishing.  Going to rent a kayak a couple days and explore Estero some more, plus fish the beaches early and late.

Edited by Drumfish420
spelling

15 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

Will be in Bonita Springs on Friday for a week, shrimp bucket in tow, looking forward to some warm weather and fishing.  Going to rent a kayak a couple days and explore Estero some more, plus fish the beaches early and late.

Drum....word to the wise--save your kayak rental for the week (Monday-thursday)....weekend head count has been insane at the better areas....boaters/pontooners/spring break sandbar party types---no Bueno. Have patience and check out things on foot first....especially in Bonita.....come Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday you'll have the areas mostly to yourself.....it's a total circus sat/sun

Fished Sun-Weds.  Very slow, water seemed to be cool.  Had a couple throwback snook around some mangroves, but that was pretty much it.  Didn't see any other fisherman doing much better than that.  Lots of algae in the back as well, never seen that before.  Did see a nice 30-32" snook on the beach that wouldn't even eat a live shrimp ...I cussed a bunch at that one.  Still a fun trip, very busy this time of year, will be going back towards the end of May next year when it calms down.

3 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

Fished Sun-Weds.  Very slow, water seemed to be cool.  Had a couple throwback snook around some mangroves, but that was pretty much it.  Didn't see any other fisherman doing much better than that.  Lots of algae in the back as well, never seen that before.  Did see a nice 30-32" snook on the beach that wouldn't even eat a live shrimp ...I cussed a bunch at that one.  Still a fun trip, very busy this time of year, will be going back towards the end of May next year when it calms down.

May is a good time, the snowbirds have all but left. Once easter hits the exodus happens. It’s also not real hot yet.