stack

Slammer III 5500 or 6500 for surf casting stripers?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I've got an opportunity to purchase a Penn Slammer for a nice discount.  Will be used mostly for baiting and waiting on a 12' surf rod.   Do I go for the 5500 or 6500?

Different perspective. For a 12 footer and bait I would go with the larger reel with the better capacity. It will have an edge in torque and cranking power too. I persoanlly feel in this case the smaller reel is a bit of a mismatch for the big rod too. Different stroke for different folks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks all. 

54 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Go for both if they are in good condition... They are excellent reels...  Good luck with your purchase..Sy.

I wish I had the money for both.   I can get a brand new 6500 for under $200.  Might as well get the bigger reel.

Thanks all for the input.  Can't wait for Spring!

Edited by stack

1 hour ago, AaronB said:

I really like my 5500 but the bail closes every once and a while. 6500 has manual trip, I believe. 

Take the ramp off. 

2 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Take the ramp off. 

Yeah it's better to take the ramp of so the rotor remains balanced but some people dont like opening their reels and you can barely tell the difference if at all with just the trip lever out since it doesn't weigh much. Btw 6500 for 12 foot rod would be much better.