Tony Accetta Pet Spoon?

Rate this topic

Barkoff

Not sure what size you have there but they can be used for casting and trolling. Used to use them on stripers and bluefish with pretty good success. I'll suggest you try casting it and get familiar with the kind of action it has. That'll give you a better idea of what it looks like in the water and how you might want to fish it. I've even dropped spoons straight down, letting them flutter to the bottom and caught fish  as they dropped. Experiment a bit. You'll figure it out.

24 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I still have a few and still use them. Great on Blues.

I'll give them a shot, I would like to put a new hook and feather on, that screw hasn't been taken out for probably 50 years, this should be interesting.

Do they cast well or tumble?

Looks like you have a #15. I still use them Tony's in #15 and #17 for casting to stripers on the flats and tributaries. Great spring time lure on east coast when herring is the food of choice. They cast well, not a lot of tumble. I throw this size on 7 1/2' or 8' spinning rod. Great wobble on retrieve. Let it sink some and retrieve slow or crank it up higher on the surface. Yo-Yo up and down on channel edges. You just about can't fish it wrong. Crank-crank-snap-pause. I used to troll #19's and #21's on a 20' leader behind a trolling weight and they worked well too.

And then there's the #12 and #13's for shad in the spring, which is almost here. Wish I had a dozen in every size or a dollar for every fish I've caught on them. Tony's are so popular in my geographic that several guys are attempting to make them. Often imitated, never duplicated. In the #15 - #17 size range I liked them better than the Huntington Drone. One time in Canada I opened my tackle box in front of a smallmouth guide. The first lure he picked up was a #13 Tony and he said he'd try this in a certain location. He was right.

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.

11 hours ago, Barkoff said:

Do they cast well or tumble?

There were two models, the standard, and a thicker, heavier version.  The heavier version cast better, although both version cast acceptably.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

A skirted bait! I like pink for weekfish and a green tube for blues.

For the albies I'm thinking silver mylar with a touch of pink flashabou.

You might even want to trail the hook behind with 12 or 18" of mono. or even fluoro.

Overalls With Suspenders