Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcobbett

Loon type products, etc.

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I've been fly tying and fly fishing for over 50 years (strictly saltwater) and have always used adhesive products such as the old Dave's Fleximent and now, some of the of the more recent stuff such as Liquid Fusion. Thinking of trying some of the newer products and methods such as the Loon stuff. Don't know much about those materials and I wondered if anyone could direct me to any comparison articles or internet threads so I could know which one(s) to look at before I buy. Thanks in advance.

I tried four products from Loon, Hard Head and Soft Head Cement. Hard Head was much nicer to work, with superior aspect and durability.

UV Knot Sense and UV Wader repair, seemed to me being absolute identical so you can take only one to secure knots, cover flies head and repair waders.

I would like to know if Loon Reel Lube is soft or thick grease, with graphite powder or not? 

I grew up through all the various types of head cement  from Daves Head cement, both hard and flex and like most moved from that to Liquid Fusion for a couple of years.

I biggest thing that I found that really was a big aide to my fly tying was when I finally bought a drying wheel, with the wheel it really assisted in coating the heads of my flies and letting the various cements rotate and cure evenly. I eventually moved on to Liquid Fusion for a couple of years and I still use today for various applications with the wheel. 

I then moved to the UV resins. The first I tried was Loon UV Thin Clear and immediately knew that this was going to be what I will use from this day on.  The biggest benefit I found was this was going to be a great time saver. 

I always tie my flies in a production format and before I always liked it when I finally got to the point that the only left was cementing the heads. There is nothing like cementing the head now and being able to cure it in a few seconds and put it right into the fly box. That is a huge time saver.

I think the Loon Thin is great but now I use Solarez Thin Hard, the reason I went to the Solarez was the economics, it comes in a 2 oz bottle which is a lot for about $24. That will last me for a few years for sure.