atv223

Outboard mount for the 2019 Outback

14 posts in this topic

I finally got an in person look at the 2019 Outback.  With the flat back, under-boat rudder, molded inserts for a powerpole and that solid grab handle, it looks like it would perfect to create a simple strong mount for a small gas powered outboard.  You could like it in place and steer with the rudder, tilt up the motor and have all the normal functionality of the Outback.  I don't think you'd have to drill a single hole in the kayak!

Thoughts?

Not sure about outback but those molded inserts for the power pole on the compass are 10-32 screw threads.

Not sure i would trust 4 of those to mount an outboard.

Then again I am sure I would not. Lol

3 hours ago, atv223 said:

I finally got an in person look at the 2019 Outback.  With the flat back, under-boat rudder, molded inserts for a powerpole and that solid grab handle, it looks like it would perfect to create a simple strong mount for a small gas powered outboard.  You could like it in place and steer with the rudder, tilt up the motor and have all the normal functionality of the Outback.  I don't think you'd have to drill a single hole in the kayak!

Thoughts?

Torqeedo  (electric). It has a plate to mount to that spot.

The issue with gas outboards on kayaks seems to be being able to reach the starter cord from the seat without having to stand up and face backwards.

I have been looking at NuCanoe Frontier and putting a 2.5 hp on it, but short of moving the seat all the way back - which puts the boat off trim - reaching the cord seems like a problem. 

2 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

Friend sent me this he saw on YouTube. 

Yeah, I caught that video too,  the side mount is interesting.  Probably would take some finagling to get the balance squared away.  I would think there might be a torque issue that would need a solution, too.

49 mins ago, Slacker said:

The issue with gas outboards on kayaks seems to be being able to reach the starter cord from the seat without having to stand up and face backwards.

I have been looking at NuCanoe Frontier and putting a 2.5 hp on it, but short of moving the seat all the way back - which puts the boat off trim - reaching the cord seems like a problem. 

Hmmm.... I hadn't considered the "starting it" issue.  I was at the AC Boat Show this weekend and saw a NuCanoe with a gas outboard on it.  That's what got me thinking.

Having one on a Outback would be near perfect.  I'd use the outboard to quickly get to far off spots and then use the mirage drive to move around while fishing.

2 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

Not sure about outback but those molded inserts for the power pole on the compass are 10-32 screw threads.

Not sure i would trust 4 of those to mount an outboard.

Then again I am sure I would not. Lol

My thought was to use the 4 molded inserts more as positioning, but design it so most of the torque and thrust gets transmitted through the rear grab handle.

37 mins ago, Slacker said:

Depending on how long the pull cord is,  I think you'd be able to mount a fabricated handle receiver within an arms length & use that position as the pull starts new starting position.... 

So instead of the handle recoiling back to the motor housing after pull starting,  it would recoil ...to the new fixed  position....

If the cords not long enough, it would be easy to add a little extension to it....

On 3/3/2019 at 7:43 PM, atv223 said:

Hmmm.... I hadn't considered the "starting it" issue.  I was at the AC Boat Show this weekend and saw a NuCanoe with a gas outboard on it.  That's what got me thinking.

Having one on a Outback would be near perfect.  I'd use the outboard to quickly get to far off spots and then use the mirage drive to move around while fishing.

Need a  starter on a little outboard with a push button

On 3/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, Jeffz1 said:

They are getting better but still need a light weight battery that can last a day on the water. 

the future is now.  i picked up a valence 12v 40AH lifepo battery this winter plan on using it with a pwm wired on a minn kota 30# motor.  the battery only weighs 14 lbs.