FoliFish

More Snow Tonight!

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

You guys got the prize to the East......7 or 8 here.

About the same here, or a little less...………………..

All depends on where you are.

I would have called that forcast right on.

In particular the start and stop times, which I used to plan my night last night. 

I walked thru my front door 5 minutes before the snow started, as planned. 

The inches may have been a tad more than hoped but I look at those as ballpark anyway. They were close enough. 

The warm came just in time.

I looked out around 4:30 am and was convinced we would lose power from the weight of all the snow on the wires.

By sunrise it had all melted off.

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

Official totals

Screenshot_20190304-080327_Twitter.jpg

That map is a little off on the Norton area. We got over 16” of heavy wet snow.  This Oscar photo at noon after it settled and is still over a foot. 

1400482E-F9DE-40A2-B617-518A925B1554.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

rst - care to share where that map came from? I like it and evidently it is timely. The 16.2 in Sharon is likely Moose Hill. I am guessing about 12-13 here in East Foxboro. I am always interested in the exact location of the reporting sites because in this area, the totals can very greatly within just a few miles. Something to do with Moose Hill and the Hills of North Attleboro.............

I left at 5 AM in about a foot, 45 minutes just to get out of the driveway as my plow guy hadn't come yet. So 45 minutes forward-reverse-forward-reverse-rock the car hope I don't overheat the tranny, and finally I made it down the hill and out to the street.

I did most of my courier route yesterday morning or else I would have been out and about at 2  am thru almost the entire teeth of the storm. At 6 AM or so the roads in Foxboro, Sharon, Stoughton, and into Canton were plowed to various degrees but still snow packed. Sensibly slow and yielding, driving was fine.

By the time I got to Route 1/University Ave at about 7, Route 1 into Dedham was bare pavement.

Edited by Steve in Mass

National Weather Service. It was their 7am map. Heres the 10am one which is more detailed, after more reports came in

Screenshot_20190304-150344_Twitter.jpg.1c3899421edfe4901c72e69cf6ac52c3.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fwiw, this storm over performed and nobody got it right. That being said, the NWS did an excellent job with the forecast imo. They put out a special statement warning of an area hitting 2"/hr snows overnight.

Screenshot_20190304-151135_Twitter.jpg.07160e11356ee3d51a99858b5e7cf921.jpg

I said phooey, we only getting 1/hr for 6 hrs so I said 6..... They thought 2/hr and said up to 12.

In actuality, it snowed nearly 3"/hr. For almost 6 hrs. That's why some spots got 16".

And their pre-storm "map" was quite on the money for geography and higher/lower snow totals:

ForecastScreenshot_20190304-151203_Twitter.jpg.9a5f711428aba08ef744efd0ae50f3f9.jpg

ActualScreenshot_20190304-150344_Twitter.jpg.1a9e457d7d9810f0a8bb2fa4614d63ce.jpg

Edited by rst3