Pma531

Kayak Storage/Transport-New Yak

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey SOL,

I’ve been looking to upgrade from my 2014 Hobie Outback for a while now. After a lot of lingering and looking, today I bought a 2019 Hobie Outback in Ivory Dune. I’m pretty excited. This thing is really nice.

67F4FBB3-0596-40E4-AB1C-3B201E7A76B9.jpeg

Its currently sitting in my garage with rolled up towels underneath it. I’m looking for a DIY wooden storage system that I can use inside my garage to store both my kayaks. Something like this.

3EF8FEC2-F956-47AC-B9F6-62430B004F6B.jpeg

Question is this... can the kayak be stored safely inside the garage as in the above picture? Or should it be stored upside down (hull side up) on the gunnels?

Also, I feel like this new kayak sits weirdly in the back of my pickup. Should it be transported upside down or hull side down? I’ve never had an issue and I always store it hull side down. I will probably have this yak for a while and figure I’d ask. And have any of you guys made something the kayak sits on while in your truck bed for transport? More pictures the better!!!

Edited by Pma531

When I transport without a bed extender, a strap near the tailgate, weaved across the kayak is paramount. If you tie down from the front sans that tie down, in a frontal collision the yak may cartwheel up and over the cab. I put a hang down guard on the bed liner where the bow meets it, and I use 2 pieces of pool noodle port and starboard to better balance the yak.

6C57B0F5-23C4-4681-91A0-504AE411E99A.jpeg

Edited by cheech

16 hours ago, Pma531 said:

Hey SOL,

I’ve been looking to upgrade from my 2014 Hobie Outback for a while now. After a lot of lingering and looking, today I bought a 2019 Hobie Outback in Ivory Dune. I’m pretty excited. This thing is really nice.

67F4FBB3-0596-40E4-AB1C-3B201E7A76B9.jpeg

Its currently sitting in my garage with rolled up towels underneath it. I’m looking for a DIY wooden storage system that I can use inside my garage to store both my kayaks. Something like this.

3EF8FEC2-F956-47AC-B9F6-62430B004F6B.jpeg

Question is this... can the kayak be stored safely inside the garage as in the above picture? Or should it be stored upside down (hull side up) on the gunnels?

Also, I feel like this new kayak sits weirdly in the back of my pickup. Should it be transported upside down or hull side down? I’ve never had an issue and I always store it hull side down. I will probably have this yak for a while and figure I’d ask. And have any of you guys made something the kayak sits on while in your truck bed for transport? More pictures the better!!!

I transport in A pick up bed. But be warned, the salt water drips will eat any metal guaranteed. If that concerns you keep a pump spray handy  or make sure you hit the tailgate good with a hose after trips. 

I prefer a bed extender for a 6’ bed for my Tacoma  for kayaks over 10’. Strapping down up the bow with a Tonneu cover on or cap for me is tough to do.  I did the ladder extender from Harbor Freight that worked good but it’s clangy and ends up rusting. Now I went with Boonedox  T Bone. I’ll see how it holds up. 

Make  a carrier that fits the contour of your 19 Outback. You can also buy a cradle carrier but don’t know the price.  Mount  it to a bed extender or where you see fit if you think deforming the hull is possible.  I think you may be able to make these too. 

97584B95-ED11-409A-9836-0BBFEF7FC6F9.jpeg

75ABAF76-BB07-42EF-A6CD-1916D9A3B6DE.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

16 hours ago, Pma531 said:

I feel like this new kayak sits weirdly in the back of my pickup. Should it be transported upside down or hull side down? 

have any of you guys made something the kayak sits on while in your truck bed for transport?

Hull side down.... Regardless if i use the bed extender or not i use a seperate strap at each bed anchor point to keep the kayak central, one on each handle at the rear anchor points, and one on each side at the nose. 

I moved from truck topping loading on saddles to bed loading so i took a set of saddles & mounted them to the Bed extenders T-bar for even better stability....

20190303_113405.jpg.2f6ef93b5d4c4909106319be659567fe.jpg