Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H'Islander

Replacement Parts for Delta Lathe?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I haven't posted much lately as I have not been turning.  However, a friend asked me to cut a new set of legs for his wife's china cabinet - No good deed goes unpunished.  Amid the turning I noticed the spindle was binding, and then I could hear and smell the motor struggling against the heat building in the spindle.  In short, the speed adjustment side of the spindle pulley shattered away from it hub. Not even sure how to disassemble the unit further to get the remnants of the spindle hub off of the drive shaft.  All that aside, my internet search for Delta replacement parts seems bleak. Does anyone have a resource for delta lathe parts?   The pic with the chewed up piece on the spindle is the remnants of the spindle hub. The fractured pulley piece speaks for itself and there's a pic of the two pully halves as they might mesh in assembly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

Kev. That reeves pulley is as hard to find as a dodo bird.My only suggestions would be to try and see if you can find a similar unit and machine the shaft size to fit. Like the Jet  JWL1236-29.

Or change over to electronic variable speed drive but i suspect buying another lathe would be cheaper.

I’ll look and see if I have that part. I sent Mike Fixter a bunch of stuff from a delta I had bunch of years back to get his machine back running when I was getting rid of an old delta  I thought I was going to resurrect. I saved some parts I’ll look. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

No dice. I must of sent the  whole assembly to Mike. This is all I have left and  I think my lathe was much  bigger than yours . 

593DEC73-B653-4031-8437-40DB50C5B260.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

19 hours ago, Dave588 said:

Honest sentiment?

"At the FAA, we're not happy until you're unhappy!"

Nah, comic relief from our local Aviation Safety Inspector...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

No dice. I must of sent the  whole assembly to Mike. This is all I have left and  I think my lathe was much  bigger than yours . 

593DEC73-B653-4031-8437-40DB50C5B260.jpeg

THanks for looking anyway~!  The Iron Bed 1440 was the precursor for the 46-715 which are 14 x 40 lathes.  Larger than a benchtop model but still homeowner quality (meaning cheesy). But it worked fine for 20 years.  It just kills me that Delta pretty much knew about this poorly engineered variable drive and rather than offer an upgrade, such as steel instead of aluminum, they opted to say "f**k you" to their customers.  WIll never buy Delta again, I can guaran-gawd-dam-tee that.

Edited by H'Islander

13 hours ago, moocks said:

Kev. That reeves pulley is as hard to find as a dodo bird.My only suggestions would be to try and see if you can find a similar unit and machine the shaft size to fit. Like the Jet  JWL1236-29.

Or change over to electronic variable speed drive but i suspect buying another lathe would be cheaper.

So it seems....Just kills me to toss a $1500 lathe in the shi*ter.  I suppose I'll try to part out the rest of the machine on flea-bay but considering the fact that this pulley fails at such a high rate I'll bet the auction sites are drowning in the other pieces.

Yeah that aluminum pulls is very  feeble. I would take to a job shop machine shop,  small mom and pop shop and have one made. If I wasn't so busy I’d volunteer but just can’t. I would think it would not be too pricey. 

I hand a similar problem with a Grizzly lathe.  If it were me I’d sell what I had and get a mIni lathe. Maybe a Jet.

Edited by Mono

46 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

Yeah that aluminum pulls is very  feeble. I would take to a job shop machine shop,  small mom and pop shop and have one made. If I wasn't so busy I’d volunteer but just can’t. I would think it would not be too pricey. 

"Great minds..."  I have a call into a local shop.  Probably wont hear from them until Monday.