Mr T

Newark Delaware in April

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I’m going to be in Newark the first week of April, hoping to get into some kind of fishing for a day.

Any tips would be great.

thanks, 

Striped bass might be stacking up along the Delaware Shore Line from Chester, PA down to the C&D Canal.  Staging for the Spring Spawn.

Never fish it, The Spawning grounds for the Delaware River Striped Bass may be closed to fishing.New Castle DE has a state sponsored Skeet & Trap operation.  You might do better shooting than fishing in April.Newark is in the middle of the industrialized portion of DE.And it is a hike to the coastal area at Lewes, DE and the coastal beaches that lead you to Ocean City, MD  JMHO    

Thanks for the info.  I noticed the trout season closes the day after I leave so that’s out.   Not a skeet/trap shooter so not sure there.       April in de likely is pretty dang cold regardless 

I've been looking to do some fishing in that river and it looks like shad will be in during the time you are there.

There is a multitude of species in that river;walleye,pike,muskie,pickerel,trout,SMB,LMB,multiple species of panfish,almost everything that swims in FW on the E coast.You'd probably have to work harder to not catch something than to get skunked in a watershed like that.Put on a 4-5" streamer pattern and see what it gets ya.

If the big water is too daunting or hard to read find a trib.

Everything is biting in April!!!

Gunpowder Falls is under an hour away in MD.  I've never fished it, but it's a pretty popular tailwater - should fish well in April.

Stocked trout season opens April 6th.  If you won't be around long enough for that you might find some smb, lmb, or freshwater panfish in any of the locals ponds or creeks that aren't closed for trout stocking.

8 hours ago, JCH said:

Gunpowder Falls is under an hour away in MD.  I've never fished it, but it's a pretty popular tailwater - should fish well in April.

Pretty Popular is the nice way of saying Crowded!  I fish it in the Spring 40 years ago. it was crowded then, and I have to assume with population explosion in the past two decades. is should be shoulder to shoulder frustration.

9 hours ago, RJ said:

Pretty Popular is the nice way of saying Crowded!  I fish it in the Spring 40 years ago. it was crowded then, and I have to assume with population explosion in the past two decades. is should be shoulder to shoulder frustration.

Plenty of fish = plenty of fishermen.  I'd rather enjoy myself {even if it means no fish) without constant hassle of crossing lines, etc.  The hunt for new places/fish is a big part of what makes this sport so great.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If your looking for fly fishing opportunities in Newark DE in April then    Trout in White Clay or other stocked streams is your best bet in that specific area. 

Striper fishing is predominately a bloodworm game in northern DE due to  water clarity and temps.

FW ponds in state parks will yield the typical LMB, BG, Pickeral, crappie etc... Becks pond will yield some snakehead action if your into that. 

The Brandywine and White Clay have seasonal runs shad which is usually later in April and can be keep your head on a swivel downtown Wilmington fishing if you know what I am inferring. Shoreline access is limited and the parking areas have some shady characters. 

You will I’ll see the bloodworm crowd out in force from old new castle south through Augustine and down the C&D canal with minimal success at certain times. Working a fly in these waters is at best better than sitting in a hotel room but not by much.

best bet: stocked trout in town starting the first Sat in April through mid May.

after the first week crowds thinkut quickly for those willing to fish weekdays

Edited by Jim DE

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/2/2019 at 11:37 AM, Mr T said:

I’m going to be in Newark the first week of April, hoping to get into some kind of fishing for a day.

Any tips would be great.

thanks, 

By the time there would be some bass around usually by the time a couple of keepers are reported .. you can drive down to Monmouth county and fish inside you’ll find bass and maybe some perch 2 in those brackish waters 

Edited by Njsurfer90

On 3/5/2019 at 8:40 AM, slip n slide said:

I've been looking to do some fishing in that river and it looks like shad will be in during the time you are there.

There is a multitude of species in that river;walleye,pike,muskie,pickerel,trout,SMB,LMB,multiple species of panfish,almost everything that swims in FW on the E coast.You'd probably have to work harder to not catch something than to get skunked in a watershed like that.Put on a 4-5" streamer pattern and see what it gets ya.

If the big water is too daunting or hard to read find a trib.

Everything is biting in April!!!

Looks like I’m going to be

limited to a few nights after work- have to fly in and out w other work folks from philly.

is this a wading game or do I need to bring them?   

Figure on bringing a 7 wt and a floating and a fast sink line- box or two of streamers and... what else?