Sudsy

March 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

310 posts in this topic

Bdowning , It’s early for a worm hatch. Temp. is probably the largest factor governing “Worm Hatches “ Earliest I’ve ever witnessed one was mid - late April after a quick warm up, where I do most of my fishing in North Jersey . The “Hatches “ aren’t as intense as in other areas- R.I. Conn. Mass., however the result is the same, albeit , to a lesser extent than in other areas . Also , sea worms can act as an “indicator species “ to a certain degree . They won’t live , “Hatch” in severely compromised waterways . That being said ,I applaud your thinking outside of the box , hang in there , springs coming ! Bill J 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, fishless said:

LMAO.  Poor Suds, he get's to live out his days with Brady as his avatard. 

What happened, did he lose a bet? :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, oneeyewilly said:

Bdowning , It’s early for a worm hatch. Temp. is probably the largest factor governing “Worm Hatches “ Earliest I’ve ever witnessed one was mid - late April after a quick warm up, where I do most of my fishing in North Jersey . The “Hatches “ aren’t as intense as in other areas- R.I. Conn. Mass., however the result is the same, albeit , to a lesser extent than in other areas . Also , sea worms can act as an “indicator species “ to a certain degree . They won’t live , “Hatch” in severely compromised waterways . That being said ,I applaud your thinking outside of the box , hang in there , springs coming ! Bill J 

 

I live in one of them there states you mentioned up north, and yeah it would be very early up there. I wasn't sure about NJ.re: timing or intensity of the worm hatches. Thanks, I learned something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still awaiting the first casts of the season. Came up wth a storage solution for the plugs... half way done. One more crate should do the trick (I hope)

295945CD-F137-42FB-88CE-410E56A397C4.JPG.b348456e67fe4721b7ed76867cf41d05.JPG57335533750__202B30A9-2F41-4AA6-800B-B135D1CAC431.JPG.0e78033d597d2957510ebe31e6150add.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Still awaiting the first casts of the season. Came up wth a storage solution for the plugs... half way done. One more crate should do the trick (I hope)

295945CD-F137-42FB-88CE-410E56A397C4.JPG.b348456e67fe4721b7ed76867cf41d05.JPG57335533750__202B30A9-2F41-4AA6-800B-B135D1CAC431.JPG.0e78033d597d2957510ebe31e6150add.JPG

using those rounds tubes there is a ton of waste space in there, just sayin lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kurazy kracka said:

using those rounds tubes there is a ton of waste space in there, just sayin lol

I plan on throwing needles, SPs, and bombers in those spaces. I dont want it too packed in there because I want to be able to easily access plugs when I need them. I chose those tubes because they fit 1 plug per tube comfortably so I wont be tangling hooks.

 

The other option was gutter material which would optimize the space in the milk crate but then Id be puting 2-4 plugs per tube and tangling hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I plan on throwing needles, SPs, and bombers in those spaces. I dont want it too packed in there because I want to be able to easily access plugs when I need them. I chose those tubes because they fit 1 plug per tube comfortably so I wont be tangling hooks.

 

The other option was gutter material which would optimize the space in the milk crate but then Id be puting 2-4 plugs per tube and tangling hooks.

fair enough then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your buying the material you're using for tubes try and find a local high school that has a tennis program and ask em for the tennis ball tubes.  Once you let em know you're repurposing them for a project they'll let you take all you can handle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fishless said:

If your buying the material you're using for tubes try and find a local high school that has a tennis program and ask em for the tennis ball tubes.  Once you let em know you're repurposing them for a project they'll let you take all you can handle. 

That was another option but my main purpose of going this route was to keep each plug seperate from another. The goal is to localize any potential rust and keep hooks from tangling.

 

Well see what happens In june when Im tossing darters at the milk crate mid blitz like steph curry with 1 sec on the shotclock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, DragonsLax48 said:

That was another option but my main purpose of going this route was to keep each plug seperate from another. The goal is to localize any potential rust and keep hooks from tangling.

 

Well see what happens In june when Im tossing darters at the milk crate mid blitz like steph curry with 1 sec on the shotclock

What's organized in the beginning eventually looks like a tornado blew thru at around the half way point.  Don't over think it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I plan on throwing needles, SPs, and bombers in those spaces. I dont want it too packed in there because I want to be able to easily access plugs when I need them. I chose those tubes because they fit 1 plug per tube comfortably so I wont be tangling hooks.

 

The other option was gutter material which would optimize the space in the milk crate but then Id be puting 2-4 plugs per tube and tangling hooks.

You know that when you pull 1 of those plugs 3 more are coming with it. I gotta figure out a truck storage solution for this year before i lose my rear cab again. Gets dangerous back there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishless said:

LMAO.  Poor Suds, he get's to live out his days with Brady as his avatard. 

Nobody should have to look at that in the NJ forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

Nobody should have to look at that in the NJ forum. 

I laugh knowing Sudsy has to look at it everyday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Still awaiting the first casts of the season. Came up wth a storage solution for the plugs... half way done. One more crate should do the trick (I hope)

 

I used the plastic gutter material myself for tubes, as well as PVC pipe for needles & pencils.  I also cut the gutter material length-wise and glued it to the sides of the other tubes so I could lay things like sluggos down since sticking them in tubes never works well. 

 

But whatever you use, do yourself a favor and line bottom of the inside of the crate with something solid before putting the tubes in & filling them with plugs (I used rectangular sheets of the Styrofoam insulating material - super light, cheap & easy to cut).  There's nothing worse than when a plug falls through the tube and snags whatever you've set it on or on the crate itself & you end up taking everything out just to get that treble unstuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now