Sudsy

March 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

265 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Tidal river...CHANNEL CATS! First fish of the year.

On bait or jig? I remember a few years ago, I was using a small 1/32 oz jig and thought I hooked a tank walleye, but it turned out to be a channel cat

Headed out front in southern OC this evening for a bit. Not a thing going on, though the water looked awfully fishy. Did not see anyone else trying.

11 hours ago, jackson515 said:

On bait or jig? I remember a few years ago, I was using a small 1/32 oz jig and thought I hooked a tank walleye, but it turned out to be a channel cat

Bait. I had 1 other small take but no hookup, probably a perch. Best bite resulted in no hookup but felt like another catfish...it's early but first fish of the year so I will take it. Might make my way to the salt this weekend.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just put in a few hours in back of Moco. Got to one spot and i saw what looked to be a blitz breaking out. Water blowing up. Bunker beaching themselves. Thousands of adult.  Couldnt believe it. threw everything but the kitchen sink. Nada. Couple of the ones that were beached had bite marks in their backs. Moved to another spot..Less action their but still some bunker flipping with some scattered bird play. I follow weather pretty closely and it looks like we are going to have a true spring for the first time in years. as in temps consistently between 54 and 60. I think its about to turn on any moment. 77 degrees today def turned it up a couple degrees.  a warm rain storm or two willl help.  

Edited by joefishnj21

Hit a tidal river on the outgoing as fast as I could possibly get there after work. Water was moving too fast at this spot but I chucked some bait anyway. Skunk for me. Watched the line of storms start to roll in from a ways off which was relaxing. Won’t be long now

You all might notice about two full pages of off topic troll type posts are gone

The people making those posts are going to be gone too if I have to start babysitting here

Fished OC in the back, hard south wind and when it calmed down a bit was much more fishable.  Was using a small swimmer and missed two blow ups in shallow water, maybe give it another shot Sunday and  hopefully the cold weather is behind us. 

Currently observing large schools of adult bunker up north

Update... didn't catch anything other than accidentally snagging said bunker. Dead bunker along the bank, some with bite marks others just appeared to have beached and died. What is chasing these guys??? Was out for some time and did not observe any wildlife in the area

Edited by Slowwwride

I was watching some bunker schools getting molested yesterday. Pretty sure it was just cormorants. They would pop up every so often. But it was refreshing to see those nervous bunker. Ospreys were attacking from above.