Slowwwride

Do you snell your hooks for baiting or chunking or just tie them on for your rigs

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

More of a poll than anything.... just curious. 

I typically snell an 8/0 inline Gama octo hook to 3' of 50 lb mono to a strong swivel for a bait rig. I pair that with a fish finder/weight.

6 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

...............an 8/0 inline Gama octo hook to 3' of 50 lb mono to a strong swivel for a bait rig. I pair that with a fish finder/weight.

Yes, for "keeper" sized Bass.

For the little Dinks I mess with for the next month, it's a top/bottom rig with 4/0 bait holder hooks.

3 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Yes, for "keeper" sized Bass.

For the little Dinks I mess with for the next month, it's a top/bottom rig with 4/0 bait holder hooks.

Yeah trying to look ahead to those bigger guys. The small bass are like an appetizer for more small bass in nj haha at least for me... the 14's get you ready for 24's. I 

In a perfect world all of the hooks used for baiting/chunking would be snelled, but most of the time I end up just tying it direct because I am on the water and short on time.  By snelling you will definitely receive a better connection and more power...

Sometimes if I'm lazy or I don't have my rig wallet I'll tie a hook on the fly but I feel the difference for sure. I don't fish with bait too often but this winter I tied a bunch of rigs

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bait fishing I only use in line circle hooks,I can't tie 50# flouro so I buy them snelled,gamakatsu by fin strike and cut the leaders to fit.I don't use fish finders.

Edited by BordnBeachBill

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Slowwwride said:

More of a poll than anything.... just curious. 

I typically snell an 8/0 inline Gama octo hook to 3' of 50 lb mono to a strong swivel for a bait rig. I pair that with a fish finder/weight.

I use 8/0 - 10/0 snelled Gami circles for slinging bait. Skip the 3' of mono - 10" to 12" is plenty when using a fishfinder for bass. Plus, you will greatly increase casting distance using a shorter leader. 

Forgot to add,this is when surf fishing. Boat chunking I'd probably go with a 3'-4' leader.

Edited by Joe D.
update

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure someone has already said this, but it depends on the hook

Offset eye gets snelled

Straight eye gets a palomar

And any leader over 80#s gets snelled - I have a hard time tying decent knots in those super heavy leaders

On 3/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, bkupmstr said:

Snelling is so easy i do it all the time :)

You are right, and it got me thinking, grown man, member of a cutting edge fishing organization can't make a pretty snell knot.That's like a 60 yr old boy scout without a merit badge.I u-tubed it and found a snell technique for dummies,it took a while but I did it,knotted two so I know the first one wasn't a fluke.thank you again and snell well my friend,bbb