Thumb-Burner

Rod advice for lmb from kayak

5 posts in this topic

Going tomorrow to buy conventional rod for fishing local lakes for largemouth and spotted bass from the new kayak I'll buy soon.

What characteristics should I look for?  I know how to pick an action I like for the baits I'll be using, but wondering about best length, handle length etc

I would go for shorter handle lengths, and depending on the kayak around 7ft long, although you could probably go shorter, I have noticed though its worth it to go for more moderate actions whennkaysk bass fishing 

11 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Exactly the type thing I was looking for?  Is the reason for moderate action dealing with fish close to boat?

That's exactly the reason, they are usually a little more forgiving and easier to deal with last thing you want it to snap a tip because you accidently highsticked landing a fish

Never had a problem with fast action rods in close quarters, i prefer fast action most of the time, ya just have to keep the rod more parallel instead of raising it vertically at that close quarters moment...

When it's landing time i tend to keep the rod parallel to the water & grab the blank somewhere in the middle once the fish is boat side.

Even if it takes another run at the last moment the rod is already in the proper relationship position to the water for the fish to safely take drag..... once it bolts just grab the rod normally again & resume the fight...

I do the same exact thing with my 11' lami when landing a considerable fish from the lower rocks on the jetty.