KennebecJake

Reel Quiz

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Just now, TimS said:

I'd agree if I wasn't so certain that he meant arbor diameter, not width :) 

He even specifies overall reel diameter of 4" and "assuming the same width".

A classic case of me not following directions. A couple mai tais at the local Chinese joint’ll do that. :wee:

Appreciate the thoughtful replys and yes I did say "width being equal".

Interesting thought about the large arbor picking up line faster starting from the empty spool.

Consider that by the time your pick-up is slower with the conventional (smaller) arbor the large arbor isn't retrieving at all...…..because you've already been spooled.

So my point is what Mark pointed out....."The speed of picking line is the same from the bottom level of large arbor".

My conclusion is that the large arbor offers no advantage at all and that these two questions can't be considered independently.

Meanwhile my Medalist 1496 picks up fast and has many yards of reserve backing.

Thanks again to all for the analysis and the point about spool width was worthwhile even if not part of the original quiz so Seadog gets "extra credit".  :) 

Large arbor is a selling point only. When you have a product and you are looking for a different avenue to sell more without changing the base unit it’s a great add on. You don’t have to look much further than Abel reel brands. They have the same reel in standard and large arbor, base frame unit is the same. 

Most of times now when you see large arbor mentioned it includes a wider spool too. That wider adds the line lost by reducing the starting tie in point of the spool. 

Large arbor is the shiny object. Oh aw. 

13 hours ago, Seadogg said:

I think the wide spool picks up faster, and here’s why. The wider spool lays the line over a wider area, meaning as it comes off the spool the overall diameter of line decreases more slowly. If you had two spools with an identical “lined” diameter and pulled off an identical amount of line from each, the wider spool would decrease in diameter more slowly, thus enabling a faster line pickup. This also diminishes the negative effect on the drag as line is removed from the spool. 

Seadog is right , example , Medalist 1495 and a 14951/2 same reel, same spool, but wider 

large arbors are a thing because most of the time you don't need that amount of backing and if youre down that low your chances of actually landing the fish are incredibly low. They also allow better drag systems. 

First we must define “wide arbor model”. The 4” diameter reels are constant. Is wide arbor increasing the “axle” diameter or does it mean that the reel frame is just wider (thickness).

if the axle is the same and the reel is just wider, then the retrieval rate is the same. 

If the the axle is larger, then the large arbor will pick up line more quickly, but at a cost of overall backing and line storage.  

It wasn't part of his question - but that never stopped us from adding extra info before - no one discussed added weight of wet extra backing.

Also - I may be incorrect - but the original question is probably academic because I believe that small arbor reels are not built the same as large arbor reels in that they have less porting, have more mass and therefore are inherently heavier.

One can only assume by the question, that Jake is considering whether he should buy a small arbor or large arbor reel. So factoring in weight of the reel should probably a significant consideration.

Herb

44 mins ago, HL said:

It wasn't part of his question - but that never stopped us from adding extra info before - no one discussed added weight of wet extra backing.

Also - I may be incorrect - but the original question is probably academic because I believe that small arbor reels are not built the same as large arbor reels in that they have less porting, have more mass and therefore are inherently heavier.

One can only assume by the question, that Jake is considering whether he should buy a small arbor or large arbor reel. So factoring in weight of the reel should probably a significant consideration.

Herb

I agree with what you’re saying. Furthermore, I think something no one has said yet that should be said, it’s going down the wrong path to compare standard and “large” arbor reels of the same spool diameter. You should rather decide on the total capacity for your needs and then look at standard and large arbor reels. A standard and a large arbor reel that hold say two hundred fifty yards of 30 lb. Dacron and a WF 10 floater are not going to have the same spool diameter. The large arbor reel will have the bigger diameter and will pick up line faster. That may not be the OPs deciding factor and there are certainly other considerations. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, TimS said:

They both pick up lines at exactly the same rate :)  

Only when the line on the spool is at an equal diameter

With the line fully cast out, the narrow spool will have a smaller diameter so will take more turns to take up an equal amount of line

Sorry..... apologies to the OP, must be my meds

1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Who goes there?
King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Pull the other one!
King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Well, this is a temperate zone.
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
 King Arthur: Please!
1st Soldier with a Keen Interest in Birds: Am I right?

OKAY pay attention, did you know that you can buy one reel that comes with two spools, one spool is a small arbor spool and the the other is a mid arbor spool, they both will hold the same identical fly lines.

The missing ingredient is the backing, so to start, on the small arbor spool it will have to first be filled to the diameter of the mid arbor spool, after that the remaining space on both spools to be filled will be identical so once we get to this point everything else is moot.