KennebecJake

Reel Quiz

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Two fly reels each with a 4 inch outside diameter.....(assume spool width is also equal) but one is a "wide arbor model" and the other has a conventional (smaller) arbor.

A)Which picks up line faster?

B)Which holds the most backing?

Apologies in advance to the old hands but I've been running into a lot of confusion on this topic......from sales people no less!

Assuming that the reels have the same gear ratio, the retrieve should be the same when both are fully loaded. The wide-arbor will need less backing underneath the fly line. If you consider a lot of backing a problem, why, then the large arbor reel is your preferred tool of choice. 

20 mins ago, crunch said:

With this data large arbor picks up line faster and small arbor takes more line.

Esa

They both pick up lines at exactly the same rate :)  The difference with the "small" arbor is it holds more line. Let's assume the large arbor holds 300 yds of fly line and backing. If you strip off 300yds of fly line and backing off both reels, it will take both reels the exact same number of turns to put the line back on the spool. If you strip off 350 yards of fly line and backing off both reels...oops...you'd be outta line with the large arbor reel :)

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes but Jake did not define the line so then we must assume it the same for both reels and then small arbor does not pick up line as fast as large arbor reel :)

Esa

Edited by crunch

1 hour ago, KennebecJake said:

Two fly reels each with a 4 inch outside diameter.....(assume spool width is also equal) but one is a "wide arbor model" and the other has a conventional (smaller) arbor.

A)Which picks up line faster?

B)Which holds the most backing?

Apologies in advance to the old hands but I've been running into a lot of confusion on this topic......from sales people no less!

From empty the large arbor reel will pick up line faster. The conventional arbor reel will hold more backing. Generally speaking, a conventional arbor reel and a large arbor reel meant to be paired with the same line weight range will not have the same spool diameter. The large arbor reel will have a bigger diameter in order to fit sufficient backing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original poster actually meant large vs standard arbor spools....I dont think he's talking about what most of us would call spool width....

Edited by Factor

Jake meant large arbor vs standard arbor,same diameter ,same width ...The speed of picking line is the same from the bottom level of large arbor...When the large arbor spool is empty, on standard arbor we still have backing, so if the competition is from empty spools, then yes, the large arbor picks faster but will contain less backing. 

If we talk real situation , will be let's say line+200 yards of backing on large arbor and line+300 yards of backing on standard arbor. For line and 200 yards of backing everything is equal for both, the residual 100 yards from standard spool will have the same diameter as the empty bottom of large arbor spool.

I think the wide spool picks up faster, and here’s why. The wider spool lays the line over a wider area, meaning as it comes off the spool the overall diameter of line decreases more slowly. If you had two spools with an identical “lined” diameter and pulled off an identical amount of line from each, the wider spool would decrease in diameter more slowly, thus enabling a faster line pickup. This also diminishes the negative effect on the drag as line is removed from the spool. 

21 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I think the wide spool picks up faster, and here’s why. The wider spool lays the line over a wider area, meaning as it comes off the spool the overall diameter of line decreases more slowly. If you had two spools with an identical “lined” diameter and pulled off an identical amount of line from each, the wider spool would decrease in diameter more slowly, thus enabling a faster line pickup. This also diminishes the negative effect on the drag as line is removed from the spool. 

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I'd agree if I wasn't so certain that he meant arbor diameter, not width :) 

He even specifies overall reel diameter of 4" and "assuming the same width".