chris koltz

gulp advice

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have used gulp only when I have to for a while due to price and bluefish. I have had a bag or two get the brown liquid in the bag. I want to start using the bulk tubs. Three questions does the chartreuse bleed on the white if they are kept in the same container? I've been told there tubs are not leak proof? I think there tubs are to bulky and take up to much room in a pac type situation.Has anyone tried the lid locker type containers with the rubber seal with success.Thanks as always for advice

I mix mine and they do not bleed.  The containers they come in are not good, but the ones you mention with the seals are very good.  You can get the juice in plastic bottles and then all you have to do is pour it into the container with the seal, throw in your baits, and you are good to go.

I found some "slime containers" On Amazon that work great. They're almost identical to the uncle josh containers except that they're sealed much better and don't leak. They're too small for anything larger than about 4" though.

I may be mistaken but I recall buying gulp when it first came out. The juice was yellowish and turned brownish after time, I have some of the original unopened and it's a darker brown. I heard recently that gulp is going back to the old formula with the tougher baits as the results of customer complaints. Anybody got the scoop on the rumor?

2 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I may be mistaken but I recall buying gulp when it first came out. The juice was yellowish and turned brownish after time, I have some of the original unopened and it's a darker brown. I heard recently that gulp is going back to the old formula with the tougher baits as the results of customer complaints. Anybody got the scoop on the rumor?

I agree with you on the former.

ive heard a lot of guys complain the newer liquid is not as good, for the reason you state.

not sure how true that all is.

has the company ever confirmed they have changed but are going back?

4 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I thought they changed formulas due to concerns over being toxic to fish?  Maybe they'll change again, but hard to believe they'd go back after making that change in the first place.

My understanding is they are moving out the old stock and will then go to the old formula without any fan fair. This makes sense to me they never admitted to making it softer to sell more and confirming going back to the old formula would be an admission. 

Regarding bleeding, I don't think that'll be a problem. I've had chartreuse white and pink all together without seeing any colors run. You should expect the stock tubs to leak. I haven't put mine in anything else though, so can't comment on the lid locker container. I assume you're talking about the plano waterproof boxes like this

1460-00_proppedclosedstraight.png

47 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Would like to get my thread back on the original 3 topics

Plano Liqua Bait Locker System - Clear

I have used these and they don't leak ($10.00) and I have bought containers at the dollar store that didn't leak the gulp juice. The colors don't bleed some people have glued different colors together and caught fish. When the tails get bitten off my gulp I put on an otter tail that I soak in the juice and have caught big fish with it. The secret to the tubs is to take the lid off, then take a sharp knife or razor and cut seal inside of the tub edge. When you pull the seal you leave and uneven lip on the container where it will leak.

Edited by squidder 329

For the people who said their container don't leak. I challenge you to store the container on it's side or upside down. Trust me when I said it will find a way out.  It doesn't leak, but seeps out slowly, worst and worst over time. If you have gulp juice on the rim when you close the container, which is nearly 100% of the time if you fish gulp,  you just created a direct path so the juice seep out even fast.    The government should use gulp juice to test hazmat containment.   Don't trust any container, gulp liquid level always below the sealing area, ziplock bag on the outside as insurance.

Edited by hobobob

34 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Regarding bleeding, I don't think that'll be a problem. I've had chartreuse white and pink all together without seeing any colors run. You should expect the stock tubs to leak. I haven't put mine in anything else though, so can't comment on the lid locker container. I assume you're talking about the plano waterproof boxes like this

1460-00_proppedclosedstraight.png

I was referring to food storage ones that have 4 closures and a rubber seal and come in a wide variety of sizes. I have not had leakage with food liquids in them but don;t know if gulp juice or the addatives by gulp would effect them. I might be over thinking this.

14 mins ago, chris koltz said:

I was referring to food storage ones that have 4 closures and a rubber seal and come in a wide variety of sizes. I have not had leakage with food liquids in them but don;t know if gulp juice or the addatives by gulp would effect them. I might be over thinking this.

I'm not sure of the food stroage ones. When I bought one of these plano boxes, the guy at the tackle shop asked me "you getting this for your gulp?" I wasn't, but assume they can be used for that. They're not cheap though, like $30+ for one box. Plano does make less expensive ones though, called Liquabait storage.