jeffreyrichard

Negotiating prices with dealer for used/demo ...

29 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, drmevo said:

I bought a demo, full warranty came with it. I’m pretty sure Hobie requires it. 

Was your kayak a full retail yak that the dealer opted to use as a demo or floor model? Or was it purchased through a Hobie demo program?  I can’t comment on Hobie, but as an OK dealer I can’t offer full warranties on yaks purchased through their demo program.  However,  I can if it’s a retail kayak used as a floor model.  Hobie may not have the same program. 

1 hour ago, SG1 said:

Was your kayak a full retail yak that the dealer opted to use as a demo or floor model? Or was it purchased through a Hobie demo program?  I can’t comment on Hobie, but as an OK dealer I can’t offer full warranties on yaks purchased through their demo program.  However,  I can if it’s a retail kayak used as a floor model.  Hobie may not have the same program. 

It has DEMO stamped into the plastic and it was the specific kayak they had people take out if they wanted to demo a Revo 13 that year.  

2 mins ago, drmevo said:

It has DEMO stamped into the plastic and it was the specific kayak they had people take out if they wanted to demo a Revo 13 that year.  

Nice. Full warranty on demos is great!  

You can also ask them to throw in a cart or some other accessory worth $$. My local dealer did that and it wasn't even a demo model.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, jeffreyrichard said:

How typical is it with dealers who are selling demos and used kayaks to negotiate the price? Found a place with several hobie demos, wondering if I can get a $100 or so off the asking price?

Everything is negotiable.  Go low.  Worst that can happen is they laugh.   If it's $1500...offer $1000. Tell them you've been saving for a year and wife put a limit.  They will counter with $1300 to $1400

Say $1200 is your drop dead divorce limit.

They'll say $1250. Go "out to your truck" to get the emergency $50.

The other thing is demand. At beginning of a demo day....or a sale....they aren't going to want to deal a lot.on the last models or the last day... they're much more likely to just get the stuff gone. Same as cars.

Tip.. watch dealer websites for excess inventory if car you want.  The week between Christmas and New year...call them and offer them $200 under dealer invoice.  If they won't deal the dealership on the other side of town that also has excess inventory will.

With the increasing popularity of prop kayaks and the sale that come with it, I am wondering at what point Hobie Kayak will have it's first official advertised sale?

Very few vendors will let cash walk out of the door. Take  Benjamin’s with you and have the proper amount in your hand when you make your offer. Money talks and b@//$#/+ walks. Good luck!!

OK ... I am a new Hobie owner ... my wife bought me the Compass on Sat, a primo barely used demo for $300 off. So, Mr Riddler, I guess I traded my balls for a nice peddle drive ...not too shabby :rav:

Here a bonus I'll throw out there if anyone is looking for a cherry used Outback ... 2015/Blue ... the owner of the shop in CT is selling his rig, and it is in superb condition, $1600 ... thought long and hard before deciding on the Compass, but in the end I really liked the weight of the Compass for car-topping (68 lbs un-rigged). BUT I would jump all over this if you are looking. As I said, superb condition. Not sure if I can post the name of the shop here (someone tell me) but it's just west of Hartford CT ... PM me and I'll send you the name.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:09 AM, drmevo said:

I bought a demo, full warranty came with it. I’m pretty sure Hobie requires it. 

You are correct. Demos carry the full warranty. It’s starts on the date of consumer purchase. If the demo is of a team members boat that has accessories already installed like turbo fins, sailing rudder etc etc. pay the asking price because it’s rigged and still carries the full warranty. 

On 3/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, The Riddler said:

With the increasing popularity of prop kayaks and the sale that come with it, I am wondering at what point Hobie Kayak will have it's first official advertised sale?

It’s not so much increasing popularity of the props, it’s just the only other way have a pedal system. 

5 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

OK ... I am a new Hobie owner ... my wife bought me the Compass on Sat, a primo barely used demo for $300 off. So, Mr Riddler, I guess I traded my balls for a nice peddle drive ...not too shabby :rav:

Here a bonus I'll throw out there if anyone is looking for a cherry used Outback ... 2015/Blue ... the owner of the shop in CT is selling his rig, and it is in superb condition, $1600 ... thought long and hard before deciding on the Compass, but in the end I really liked the weight of the Compass for car-topping (68 lbs un-rigged). BUT I would jump all over this if you are looking. As I said, superb condition. Not sure if I can post the name of the shop here (someone tell me) but it's just west of Hartford CT ... PM me and I'll send you the name.

Hah finally!  We had to shame you into buying! Lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, CJFluker said:

It’s not so much increasing popularity of the props, it’s just the only other way have a pedal system. 

Doesn’t make sense. After a prop and fins that go side to side and a paddle?  What else can propel a  kayak by Human power?   Some come for price and sale, some come for the better warranty, some want instant reverse without having to pull levers to engage. There  is a number of reasons to make a case for prop kayaks for kayak anglers. 

I own both Hobies and a few different pedal prop drive kayaks.   I bought em to try out and since I bought my first I bought another over the 2019 Outback. It has nothing to do with price.  This sport is affordable as compared to buying a new boat. Prop drives are fun to fish out of especially on freshwater rivers were I have spent the winter fishing in my Topwater PDL.  For me?  I can’t give prop drives the nod for the rough salt water. I’ll use my 2018 Revo 13 with modified seat to take on that duty. 

Edited by The Riddler

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think what I was trying to say came out wrong lol. I was a zombie this morning from going to sleep at 5am. What I was trying to say was, with Hobie having the lock down on the fins, minus the 2 that now use the original drive since the patent ran out, the other brands have no choice but to use a prop. The increased popularity to the prop drives is in part because there’s 5 companies making them now. Not saying it’s bad because hands free is the way to be for ones who fish. Means more time to fish. Honestly reverse in the salt is a novelty most of the time. Always thought it was better suited for freshwater hitting pads, trees, docks, etc. Everyone has their reasons for a particular kayak. It’s always what works best for you. Like your revo and PDL. 

Edited by CJFluker