jeffreyrichard

Negotiating prices with dealer for used/demo ...

29 posts in this topic

How typical is it with dealers who are selling demos and used kayaks to negotiate the price? Found a place with several hobie demos, wondering if I can get a $100 or so off the asking price?

5 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Yes. You should get a discount on demos. 

Just to be clear, the price is already discounted ... wondering if I treat this as an "asking price" and try to get something more off the price? Or do this tend to be non-negotiable?

6 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Just to be clear, the price is already discounted ... wondering if I treat this as an "asking price" and try to get something more off the price? Or do this tend to be non-negotiable?

They have wiggle room so i would say yes. If they say no ask for them to throw in some free accessories. Cant hurt to ask.

A real demo  well used or  last years display model? If its in good shape pay the man. I think even in the real used market hobbies only drop about 200 dollars per year from list for the first few years .

I think the bigger stores, their demo prices are probably set maybe 10-20% off the regular price or whatever it is and anymore than that would need a mgr signoff or something. Then the smaller more personal dealers are probably easier to negotiate a price with because it is their call, probably just have to catch them at a good time, I'm sure they know the worth and don't want to get beat but I think the mom and pop is your target. Although I seen guys on this site get additional discounts from the big box stores...Right place at the right time.

36 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

How typical is it with dealers who are selling demos and used kayaks to negotiate the price? Found a place with several hobie demos, wondering if I can get a $100 or so off the asking price?

No guts no Glory. Make him an offer, he'll counter your offer, or walk out. He'll call you back.

Jeffreyrichard, we are going to shame you into buying a hobie. You got no balls.

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Jeffreyrichard, we are going to shame you into buying a hobie. You got no balls.

I am married ... she has them in storage ...

Pay with cash or check if you can.  You should at least get the discount they'd pay on credit card fees if you payed with a card.

I learned along time ago that the worst anyone will ever say to you is, no. If you can accept NO, then the rest is just a question. 

56 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Pay with cash or check if you can.  You should at least get the discount they'd pay on credit card fees if you payed with a card.

True, small businesses typically will give a discount for cash/check but most credit cards double any manufacturers warranty or add least add a year.  I've gone through the process with my credit card and they made things right.  Im going to upgrade from my revo to a new outback and plan on using my  credit card for the extended warranty

Ask the dealer about the warranty. If the dealer purchased the yak as a demo or rental model, then it may not  carry a full warranty.  

9 hours ago, SG1 said:

Ask the dealer about the warranty. If the dealer purchased the yak as a demo or rental model, then it may not  carry a full warranty.  

I bought a demo, full warranty came with it. I’m pretty sure Hobie requires it.