jrzyripper

Stormr Typhoon Vs Strykr (newer releases)

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am in the market for a new light wading/cold weather jacket. I was dead set on the new strykr but have been second guessing myself. The newer typhoon is $100 less and I can't find any real good comparisons. I have looked at the archived posts on SOL and haven't found anything on the newer released line ups. 

I will mostly be using this jacket on NJ beaches for real cold days in early spring and late fall. Wading up to my waist is a strong possibility but i will not be using this jacket for taking waves over the head.

Is there really that much difference (quality/performance) between the new model of the Typhoon and Strykr that can justify the additional $100 (besides extra pockets)?? Any one with an experience with the 2 jackets?

Thanks - get some fish!

I have a stryker and use it during the colder months especially on party boats.  On a cold windy and rainy day it really is great.  I don't think you will get too many really objective comparisons between the two because if you have one of the jackets you probably don't have the other.  I know I can't comment on the Typhoon.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I own the prior version of the Typhoon jacket as you can see in my avatar.  I like it a lot for partyboat fishing in the colder months.  However, I think the Strykr would be better suited for cold weather Surfcasting as it has wrist seals and Velcro wrist cuffs to keep water out.  There are no wrist seals or cuff adjustments on the Typhoon jacket.  Whether that’s worth the extra $100 or not is up to you! :)

Edited by Water Dog

I have looked at and tried on the Typhoon several years ago. I don't know how much a "new"version has changed.  To me it was like a neoprene sweatshirt.  Has a place I suppose...and in a lower price point.

But the StrykR is something completely different.  If the Typhoon is for casual walking a beach or fishing...the StrykR is for working in King Crab boats in Alaska. It's a seriously designed and constructed piece of gear that performs very well in medium to extreme conditions.  The hood is very well-fitting, the zipper is very heavy duty and has a little hood-shield over it at the top to prevent water intrusion...sorta like cap flashing at a window head.  The fit is not tight like a surf-top but not loose like a sweatshirt...it feels like it hugs your torso but there's still room to get a bulky sweater under there without feeling cramped.  The wrist gaskets are fantastic.  The pockets inside and out are very well thought-out.  When I first put it on, my impression was "suit of armor".  Well suited to extreme water and wind and cold conditions.  It will last a long time... money well spent in my opinion.  I like it so much  I'm using it as my everyday street jacket.

My suggestion is to try one on yourself to make a determination.  If StormR dealers are at a winter fishing show, or StormR themselves, see if you can get a discount.

There was a topic a while back regarding these, i dug up when i was looking. Guys reported they didnt have great wrist seals and that if your sticking your hand in the water for a release your going to be wet and cold. I ended up going with the surf top instead and i'm a big fan. 

Guys reported with the strykr that they sent them back to stormr and they did some modification and added an internal gasket or something at the wrists that apparently worked wonderfully. Not sure if thats an option from them or a special. Also possible the new version corrected this, i'd test it out before buying