wasabi_VA

Water bottle anchor and rope management

7 posts in this topic

Never been happy with my kayak anchor solutions so working on version 19. My goal is a compact, streamline anchor that stows neatly and especially provides me a tangle-free way to manage the line when not in use. I'll use it with my anchor trolley.

I primarily yak on ponds, small lakes and occasionally small, slow moving streams so don't need a sophisticated anchor solution with breakaway features or a float or any of that. If needed I should be able to adapt those to whatever new anchor I create or I can use one of my other anchors.

Today I'm thinking of re-purposing an old, nasty water bottle of approx. 1 quart like this and filling it with either sand, wet sand or concrete depending upon the weight I get. I'm shooting for 4 pounds, maybe a little higher. What I like about this bottle is the material is fairly soft to minimize noise if it clunks around in the boat, and also smooth so a quick dunk or wipe should clean off any mud and make storing it a clean solution. And best of all the one I plan to use is about 11" long and I should be able to wrap the rope around it when putting it away.

SFd2rVfl.jpg

Can't imagine I'm the first to do it. Anybody seen any other solutions like this? I'd like to steal any good ideas they used :)

Might want to go bigger depending on where you fish. Had a 2L bottle go under in the D bay when the current was ripping. I may no have had enough line out but i had to use my bunker snag to get it to the surface. I now use a Marine Inflatable Fender. They can be bought on amazon for $10, easy to wrap the rope around

I had a couple of versions. Powercord was getting tangled with each. I went the retractable closeline rout. I use a small grappling hook anchor made from 3/8 rebar for the river, and a small boat anchor in the bay. Check Youtube for details. 

9 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

I primarily yak on ponds, small lakes and occasionally small, slow moving streams

This is my  freshwater anchor for deeper spots i can't use my stake out pole style setup.... it's pretty compact, holds me in place. 

Block weighs 4-1/2 lbs

50' of paracord attached to a pad eye mounted to the block...... small cutting board notched to hold the line neatly

If you want to try that water bottle you can try mounting a small eye bolt to the cap with some fender washers & a nut ...... it might not support the weight though.

20190301_191131.jpg.4849b88e20179c8103c6bb76f5473e50.jpg