Does the Fall of Historical statues end in Gettysburg?

Rate this topic

Harf

2 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Your white supremacy doesn't impress me regardless of how discerning it is.

I quit trying to impress anyone years ago, I am who I am, dont like me ,dont care  :shrug:

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

what gets lost in the iconoclastic zeal is the essence of history.

The importance of statuary or shrines is more than remembrance.

It reminds Americans and those that aspire to be American that like nations that preceded our great nation, we had a division that lead to the bloodiest conflict in our history.

We don't celebrate villainy by studying the writings and tactics of Robert E Lee or Jefferson Davis, nor are we promoting nazism by reading Mein Kampf.

There is a famous sculpture in St Peter's Basilica by Bernini. It is the Tomb of Pope Alexander VII.

Beneath the representation of the Earth and both secular and ecclesiastical symbols is a partially shrouded skeleton hoisting an hour glass with the Latin Phrase "Memento Mori"  telling the witness "Remember, you too will die".

The destruction of Confederate statues is a feeble attempt to erase a memory.

The heroes of the Civil War (both sides) were soldiers selected by fate at a pivotal moment in history.

I lay a mental wreath for the fallen of the North and South. 

44 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

what gets lost in the iconoclastic zeal is the essence of history.

The importance of statuary or shrines is more than remembrance.

It reminds Americans and those that aspire to be American that like nations that preceded our great nation, we had a division that lead to the bloodiest conflict in our history.

We don't celebrate villainy by studying the writings and tactics of Robert E Lee or Jefferson Davis, nor are we promoting nazism by reading Mein Kampf.

There is a famous sculpture in St Peter's Basilica by Bernini. It is the Tomb of Pope Alexander VII.

Beneath the representation of the Earth and both secular and ecclesiastical symbols is a partially shrouded skeleton hoisting an hour glass with the Latin Phrase "Memento Mori"  telling the witness "Remember, you too will die".

The destruction of Confederate statues is a feeble attempt to erase a memory.

The heroes of the Civil War (both sides) were soldiers selected by fate at a pivotal moment in history.

I lay a mental wreath for the fallen of the North and South. 

Wow, how romantic. If you think those statues were erected to serve as a reminder of our history you are delusional. They were a symbol that while the good ole' boys lost the war, they were still the ones calling the shots. At least Red didn't try to explain why his flag isn't offensive, he recognized that that was precisely his purpose in flying it.

28 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Wow, how romantic. If you think those statues were erected to serve as a reminder of our history you are delusional. They were a symbol that while the good ole' boys lost the war, they were still the ones calling the shots. At least Red didn't try to explain why his flag isn't offensive, he recognized that that was precisely his purpose in flying it.

Who were the good ole boys showing that they were in charge?  I'm pretty sure the blacks already knew that.

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

5 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Your white supremacy doesn't impress me regardless of how discerning it is.

he does it all the time :dismay: endless afro american jabs, hurtful pics and gifs..it makes me sad that some of us cant move foward in this country :(

"a high percentage of Bernie's posts involve Jim, homosexuality and/or touching children" :naughty:

4 mins ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Patriots during revolutionary times pulled down statues of King George.

Russians emerging from Communism pulled down statues of Stalin, and Americans in Iraq toppled Hussein statues - That said, I would generally favor adding statuary to tell a more complete story rather than pulling anything down.  And, per a point made earlier, lot of the Confederate stuff went up long after the war in response to burgeoning support for civil rights for African Americans.

nick, Most confederate soldiers never owned slaves. They fought for there state. That's what Confederacy means , Power for the states. That was what led to there defeat, The states couldn't get it together. The south at the time was still thinking like the first government the 13 colonies went with . It was a Confederacy , each state could make there own laws and rules., They changed it.  South still liked that way. Those statues are part of our history North and south. They were still Americans, same language, same religion, same likes.What history do you like, what statues do you want to keep. You can't have Black history without the first chapter. It all goes together.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Statues do more than commemorate or honor. As time goes by they also can take people back to see things from a different point of view, and in this they are valuable. Some years ago I was working on an acquisition of a small company in Dachau. Dachau is actually a fairly picturesque little town an I took a walk to work through jet lag, totally forgetting the history of the place. Then I came to the statue of the Dachau death march, at the foot of the hill the concentration camp sits on. It was a profoundly staggering experience. The museum at the camp was closed and I'm kind of good with that, but I think leaving it there and augmenting it with the sculptures of prisoners marching to the gas chambers would have an effect on anyone, the effect being the absolute horror of the place, the time and how the hell does mankind get to that place. I don't view the Civil War as something to celebrate on either side, when I'm down in Va. especially I tend to look at the battle sites and think along those same lines - "please God don't ever let us go back to that." Destroying the statues, erasing the history - from either perspective - denies us and people in the future to reflect and maybe learn, and maybe be the better for it. A lot of my friends disagree with me but I think they should all stay as is.

Edited by stormy monday

31 mins ago, stormy monday said:

Statues do more than commemorate or honor. As time goes by they also can take people back to see things from a different point of view, and in this they are valuable. Some years ago I was working on an acquisition of a small company in Dachau. Dachau is actually a fairly picturesque little town an I took a walk to work through jet lag, totally forgetting the history of the place. Then I came to the statue of the Dachau death march, at the foot of the hill the concentration camp sits on. It was a profoundly staggering experience. The museum at the camp was closed and I'm kind of good with that, but I think leaving it there and augmenting it with the sculptures of prisoners marching to the gas chambers would have an effect on anyone, the effect being the absolute horror of the place, the time and how the hell does mankind get to that place. I don't view the Civil War as something to celebrate on either side, when I'm down in Va. especially I tend to look at the battle sites and think along those same lines - "please God don't ever let us go back to that." Destroying the statues, erasing the history - from either perspective - denies us and people in the future to reflect and maybe learn, and maybe be the better for it. A lot of my friends disagree with me but I think they should all stay as is.

In order for your Dachau analogy to be parallel, there would be monuments commemorating those that suffered under slavery not the generals that fought to protect the right to own them. Like I already said, what you do with them is debatable, that they are symbols of white supremacy isn't.