ThrowinPlugs

Anyone play with the Mako 12 yet?

10 posts in this topic

Anyone? I completely forgot about these coming out. Saw a few videos and they look pretty worth the sub 1000 dollar price tag... however I'm seeing they seem to have leaking issues at the hatches. Any input?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is there a kayak with a dry hatch? If so I please let me know what model it is? The last kayak I ownef that hat a hatch that did not leak was a Kodiak prijon  sea kayak. It was bone dry. It had  neoprene gaskets to seal the hatches. Tough to fish out of.

Edited by dbjpb

I've been eyeing this stuff from McMaster for my Scupper Pro hatch cover.  I'd probably have to trim it down from it's 1" wide stock width. $24 for 10'.

1120a861c2-style3-j05l.png?ver=144066067

Posted (edited) · Report post

All yak hatches leak. Like you, I've been on the scout for a yak too, and the mako 12 has been on my radar as well. From my understanding on the reviews and watching some vids, it's a wet boat. Cuts through the wakes, waves and surf decently with that heavily up turned bow, but the low gunnels and shallow scuppers make extremely wet. Major pros are the price, price & price. Along with the factory anchor trolley mounted on both sides. If you like a forward tank well, it's great, if you prefer a deck bow with raised hatch, then it's not great. Also does not come with a recessed transducer mount area if you are planning running a fish finder. Other than that, it doesn't look like like a bad choice if your floundering in the bay or marsh creeks. Weight is awesome at 67 pounds, but the lack of transducer recess, low gunnels and fore hatch position, make it less desirable. The other issue is, there are no local vendors on the island. It's either ebay or Amazon.

Edited by Fishtale7

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Hmm maybe I'll just stick to my pescador pro for the season then. Thanks for the info.

If you're looking for a replacement yak, how about the Radar 115 or the 135? I've been eyeballing the 135. Nice raised foredeck with large fore hatch, optional pedal system and recessed transducer mount. $200 more than the Mako, but many more pro's. Drawback is the weight at 30 extra pounds than the Mako (95lbs).

On 3/2/2019 at 6:00 PM, Fishtale7 said:

If you're looking for a replacement yak, how about the Radar 115 or the 135? I've been eyeballing the 135. Nice raised foredeck with large fore hatch, optional pedal system and recessed transducer mount. $200 more than the Mako, but many more pro's. Drawback is the weight at 30 extra pounds than the Mako (95lbs).

I'd love the radar but dont wanna shell put that much more for the pedal drive.

20 hours ago, monstahfish said:

I saw the riots at paddlesports retailer and I don't want to bash so all I'll say is try before you buy.

Objective criticism is not bashing ... do tell ... was considering this yak 

Briefly, steering control is behind the seat for most people and a fore/aft lever style which is ergonomically atrocious, terrible turning radius, loud drive that's difficult to install and remove and requires prop alignment along with awkward clamps. Personally, I'd go with a used higher end model for a bit more money than lose money on a boat you might resent buying then want to sell.