TheClasp

First Time Surf Fishing Jersey - Questions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

NJ Saltwater Registry is the license you need to fish the salt in NJ. Has been in effect for several years.

17 hours ago, teedee said:

NJ Saltwater Registry is the license you need to fish the salt in NJ. Has been in effect for several years.

Thanks , didn’t know all these years I’ve been fishing. 

40 mins ago, pricise10 said:

Thanks , didn’t know all these years I’ve been fishing. 

You will this year with the new ambitious GW working your neighborhood.  ;)

Well, all systems go for my first fishing adventure in Jersey.  I will go to Live Bait shop mentioned to get reports and see what has been hitting.   I have not used LIVE bait yet and will want to dabble a little.   My plan of attack is as follows.   Any words of wisdom welcome.   Thanks to those who PM'd me with excellent info.

Surf Casting mostly from beach using...

High Low 1.5 oz. Bucktail Jig (white) with pork grind and/or mullet trailer (yellow/chartreus) with a simple bucktail teaser sitting high.

High Low 1 - 2 oz. Gags/Hogy/Goture Soft bait  with Gulp mullet sitting high.

Standard 3-Way w/ 5/0 6/0 hook w/live bait the guy at the bait shop tells me to use, sinker dragging along the sandy bottom

SP Minnows 5", Rapala's  4-5" casted as far as I can.

Old favorite Kastmaster single hook w/Bucktail teaser (variety of sizes 3/4 to 2 oz.)

I may try to find these inshore areas and try out my new Gags Casting Eggs w/soft paddle tails.   These baby's fly...

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.    Fishing has heated up here in New England.  Caught nearly 10 schoolies so far.