TheClasp

First Time Surf Fishing Jersey - Questions

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello,

I am from Massachusetts, and relative new to saltwater fishing.   I know the Striper season gets rolling around May, then heats up over summer into Fall.   I am thinking about booking a trip in early May to NJ to enjoy my two favorite pastimes: (Fishing and Horse Racing).   Since Monmouth Park Racetrack opens May 4th, I could book a hotel at Sea Bright or Long Branch, right on the beach and hopefully have success fishing at dawn and/or dusk.  I have questions for the locals...

1.   I understand you do not need a license as a visitor or resident to fish Salt Water in NJ.   Did I read that correct?  

2.   Do they welcome or restrict Surf Casting from the beaches at those 2 areas.   I think you know the hotels I might be staying at as there are only a handful.

3.   Are those productive areas for fishing in May?

4.   Can I also Jetty or inshore fish as it looks like there is an intercoastal.

5.   What would be the best rig (setup) for early season surf casting that area.

Thanks much for any help.   I really would like to catch my first fish of the season early, so why not Jersey? 

Edited by TheClasp

I met some good guys from Mass, I'll be invading there soon enough.

1. Just need the federal Saltwater Registry card.

2. Dawn and dusk, in early May is technically before the beach season really opens around here, which is usually a couple weeks before Memorial Day.

3. From Sea Bright north to the end of Sandy Hook, and south for 20 miles or so is all open all the time, with varying degrees of access/parking available. Most of it is just pull up and park and walk a short distance to the water.

4. Some jetties on the ocean side are accessible, and there is a large river/bay system behind Sea Bright, access is not as friendly, but still do-able if you poke around.

5. How you fish is up to you, clams or live/dead bunker will work, or plugging with lures can work well also, whatever you're comfortable with. There is a bait and tackle store right in Sea Bright (Giglio's), right on the main drag.

Good luck

Ed

15 mins ago, Ed White said:

2. Dawn and dusk, in early May is technically before the beach season really opens around here, which is usually a couple weeks before Memorial Day.

3. From Sea Bright north to the end of Sandy Hook, and south for 20 miles or so is all open all the time, with varying degrees of access/parking available. Most of it is just pull up and park and walk a short distance to the water.

4. Some jetties on the ocean side are accessible, and there is a large river/bay system behind Sea Bright, access is not as friendly, but still do-able if you poke around.

5. How you fish is up to you, clams or live/dead bunker will work, or plugging with lures can work well also, whatever you're comfortable with. There is a bait and tackle store right in Sea Bright (Giglio's), right on the main drag.

Good luck

Ed

Is this a good thing?   Are you saying I should have no problems?   What changes after Memorial Day in terms or rules for fishing from the beach?  Sorry if I am not understanding your reply.   Thanks for the info...   Welcome to MA if you are visiting or moving...

Here in NJ, the beaches get very crowded during the season during the day. Worst from Memorial Day thru Labor Day, but a couple weeks either side of those can be busy, depending on the weather. Fishing early morning is usually fine, evenings will have more people in your way.

Is it true that you need the federal saltwater registry? I thought the free NJ registry exempted you from that, although I may have read wrong.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, TheClasp said:

Is this a good thing?   Are you saying I should have no problems?   What changes after Memorial Day in terms or rules for fishing from the beach?  Sorry if I am not understanding your reply.   Thanks for the info...   Welcome to MA if you are visiting or moving...

You'll also be prohibited from fishing most beach's when a lifeguard is on duty which is Memorial day through Labor day.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ed White said:

Good luck

Ed

This is all great advice. Ed knows what he is talking about.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/28/2019 at 3:54 PM, TheClasp said:

Hello,

I am from Massachusetts, and relative new to saltwater fishing.   I know the Striper season gets rolling around May, then heats up over summer into Fall.   I am thinking about booking a trip in early May to NJ to enjoy my two favorite pastimes: (Fishing and Horse Racing).   Since Monmouth Park Racetrack opens May 4th, I could book a hotel at Sea Bright or Long Branch, right on the beach and hopefully have success fishing at dawn and/or dusk.  I have questions for the locals...

1.   I understand you do not need a license as a visitor or resident to fish Salt Water in NJ.   Did I read that correct?  

2.   Do they welcome or restrict Surf Casting from the beaches at those 2 areas.   I think you know the hotels I might be staying at as there are only a handful.

3.   Are those productive areas for fishing in May?

4.   Can I also Jetty or inshore fish as it looks like there is an intercoastal.

5.   What would be the best rig (setup) for early season surf casting that area.

Thanks much for any help.   I really would like to catch my first fish of the season early, so why not Jersey? 

Sorry, no links allowed.

Edited by DaveC

On 3/1/2019 at 1:15 PM, joem said:

Is it true that you need the federal saltwater registry? I thought the free NJ registry exempted you from that, although I may have read wrong.

The free NJ saltwater registry license is the federal license.