Saragosa or Slammer III

Rate this topic

WhitePerch

3 hours ago, ColinF said:

What size fish will you be targeting? For mid size fish in the mid price range I don’t think you can beat a 10k Saragosa

100-200 lb range, with the occasional fish bigger than that from what I’ve gathered. I was thinking the 20k size, would love it if I could get away with a smaller reel

1 hour ago, WhitePerch said:

100-200 lb range, with the occasional fish bigger than that from what I’ve gathered. I was thinking the 20k size, would love it if I could get away with a smaller reel

Gotcha, yeah you’d definitely be better off with a larger size than a 10k. They are great reels though

• 2 weeks later...

Have them both.  Have had the Penn for a long time.  Bought to Saragosa last summer.  I'd go Gosa if tuna is your target, that and out of the box the Gosa is much more comfortable in your hand and the handle is longer providing more torque

Is it too much to ask to just breathe, be able to walk and go fishing?

• 3 weeks later...

The saragosa is by far the best reel in it's price point. I have 3 in varying sizes. Tons of power, fast retrieve, and have taken quite the beating. The twin power is great too. I use a 14k in the canal. It's pulled double duty for tuna but you could get 2 20k gosas for the same money and have a bunch more line capacity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, WhitePerch said:

Looking to get into some tuna popping/jigging this coming season. Being new to it and not sure exactly how often I'll be headed out there, I'd like to start off going with a mid range set up. Stuck between these two reels, looking for some advice on which to go with. Appreciate any help

If u look at the saragosa u will see it's maid in japan enough said

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, WhitePerch said:

20k and 25k Gosa’s are the same reel, just bigger spool on 25k.. I have over 400 yards of JB hollow 100 lbs on my 25k Gosa’s.. 

• 1 year later...

Both reels are fantastic choices! The Slammer 6500HS or the 8500HS are geared for the top water bite. The new model gosa comes in a 14k size which is the high speed model for fishing poppers and stick baits, the 20k is a good option too, I’d say it’s comparable to the 8500 slammer in terms of size. Both reels have a great drag system but I believe the slammers drag is superior though IMO. The next step up would be getting a 14k Twin Power which is a solid reel just under a Stella in terms price and performance!