WhitePerch

Saragosa or Slammer III

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Looking to get into some tuna popping/jigging this coming season. Being new to it and not sure exactly how often I'll be headed out there, I'd like to start off going with a mid range set up. Stuck between these two reels, looking for some advice on which to go with. Appreciate any help

i have a couple of saragosa's and my father has a couple slammers.

I think the Gosa is a little lighter and physically a little smaller, but the slammer feels a little smoother.  They are both great reels, and I think will really come down to what feels better in your hand.

I had the gosa 6k. Great reel. If you plan to give a bit of abuse.... rock piles, etc. Not as robust as the slammer III. If you go for the slammer .... I went with the 4500. the 5500 is MUCH bigger.  plenty capacity on the 4500 sla III. 

On 2/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, Lateral Line said:

sorry boating..................... scrap my opine

No worries. Which do you guys feel has the smoother drag? I only ask because one buddy had mentioned to me that his Slammer’s drag has a felt start up, where it there was a “pause” before the drag would get going. I figure it’s a one off issue but not sure 

Gosa is lighter, built well and good drag. Slammer 3 is great drag a beast and both are smoothe to me but what I test these reels with is nothing compared to tuna. My slammer 3 has no pause. I've caught fish that pull drag... but not smokers....

If your looking for a mid-ranged price set up, take a look at the Shimano Twin Power 14000.  It retails for about $650 and is a great reel. 

16 hours ago, BGBrown said:

If your looking for a mid-ranged price set up, take a look at the Shimano Twin Power 14000.  It retails for about $650 and is a great reel. 

Will do, you think its a big upgrade over the gosa?

If I had a limited budget but wanted the best value for the money, that’s what I would be looking at.  Pair that up with a Centaur or other value priced rod is a great place to start.

20 mins ago, BGBrown said:

If I had a limited budget but wanted the best value for the money, that’s what I would be looking at.  Pair that up with a Centaur or other value priced rod is a great place to start.

Awesome, I really appreciate the help

Big fan of the Gosa. I have one that pulls double duty between boat and beach. Took a tuna charter 2 yrs ago and fought a huge fish for 3.5 hours on a 20000 Gosa. The Gosa line up is tough to beat.

14 hours ago, shady grady said:

Big fan of the Gosa. I have one that pulls double duty between boat and beach. Took a tuna charter 2 yrs ago and fought a huge fish for 3.5 hours on a 20000 Gosa. The Gosa line up is tough to beat.

I appreciate the help. Damn, 3.5 hours, did you get that fish to the boat?

Negative. Pulled the hook. We did get to see it during the first 20 minutes of so not a total loss. She was just out of harpoon range. It hit a sebile stick shad. I have a whole new respect for those plugs now too.