JTF

GLoomis Purple MUR

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I got two of these years ago and used them once. Casting MUR Loomis purple blank muskie rods. The shorter was 6/3ft 1-5oz and the longer is almost 7ft 1-3 oz. The handles were too short for surf/pier and Ryan White at Hatteras Jack's added 4" and new cork to the butts, now they fit perfectly! Ryan did a bang up job.

I don't fish the piers and jetties anymore, but the 1-3oz needs to stay here. These things will lift some heavies, maybe good popping cork rods for reds and stripers with a level wind reel.  Thinking to sell the 1-5 oz. If I keep storing tackle, will have to add a new pickup for the obx. 

These aren't made anymore and looks to be about $300 to replace one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are plenty of Muskies in the rivers up here, I haven't learned the waters yet. These two Loomis rods will get way more use in the surf/jetty/piers if I take back up traveling to the coast again. 

Looks like R.White used a reinforced splice of about 3.5" and a small factory end cap. I like it more than a fighting butt. 

I thought he might change the butt handles to shrink wrap, but they look and feel perfect with new cork, no transition noticed. Handling is still good with both 7.6' rod akios 656. The 6.6' heavier rod will get an old calcutta 400 level wind. 

Can't find any info on these old purple blanks and don't even remember what I paid. 

100_3325.JPG

100_3326.JPG

100_3327.JPG

Edited by JTF

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just a question ???? have you posted on the FOR SALE FORUM HERE on this              FORUM  ? I DID NOT CHECK,  

Edited by jsid6g

I'm sure there are plenty of good rod builders here. I have been lucky to find a second that does great work kind of nearby. Dogshark isn't building anymore, he built on  Purglass blanks, have a couple of his and those are sweet casting light blanks.  Don't know if they are available now, look similar to AFAW blanks. 

Ryan White down at OBX did a great job, balanced the rods out much better than the factory setup. These old Muskie blanks didn't have the surf rod handle length imo. Great seamless addition, looks close to 6" now that I measured. 

I couldn't wrap a decent guide.  Perhaps one day I will get to watch a builder create a rod, a blend of art and mechanics. I'll drink the beer.