Thumb-Burner

Heavy vs. light.. pros and cons???

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

My outback is, what 80-90 lbs? I’m fit and strong, go to the gym 5 days a week, used to run ultras etc. I car topped it and it was such a pain to do so I stopped using it but maybe once a week. Was planning on much more use. Borrowed a friends truck a few times and it was so much easier I ended up getting my own truck. Now I’m out 4-5 times a week, easy on easy off. I have wheels for dragging it if there’s much of a distance between the car and the water so that parts no problem.

So my guess a 70 lb boat would be a pain to car top and you’d possibly end up not going out as much as you expected.

Interesting ...  a truck is a possibility in the future as i’m Due a new (to me) vehicle next year.

26 mins ago, KnewBee said:

I couldn't do stairs with the kayak overhead.  Can't afford to break a hip!

Tell me bout it! That bad launch is down 50' of wet rocks at low tide. Terrifying. But I've limited out on tog within 1/4 mi of the launch!

I'm 60 this year and don't have a problem with a heavier yak even with a lifted 4wd ute, you just have to budget for some lifting device and the right plan.I even have a step to stand on as I'm not real tall. 

I just purchased a Sun Dolphin Boss 12 aka pro angler or the Ozark Trail Pro Angler.  It is big and  heavy.  It's no Hobie or Pelican but it was $379, out the door or about $430 with the tax from wally world.  That's a lot of boat for a first time yakker like me for not a lot of scratch.  I mostly surf cast so it's going to be an occasional use product.  If I get really into it, I'll sell it and upgrade.

I have an older trident 13 (5-6 years old), 70ish lbs I think and I have no problem throwing it on my 4runner just lifting it.

I have the Pelican Catch 100. I'm 52, dealing with some recent back issues but not enough to keep me off the water and I went with this model for the lower weight and am happy with my purchase.

I don't like to drag it across the gravel driveway but the boat is light enough to lift and carry it to the back of my pickup. I leave all my crap in it so it would be even lighter if I removed the seat and my milk crate of stuff. It is easy to drag with a rope/handle clipped to the front. I drag it up hills ok. Again, it would drag even easier if I wasn't too lazy to remove stuff and make 2 trips. It's a good kayak quality wise.

With your bad knees I wouldn't consider standing - that isn't necessary to fish well out of a kayak. It feels plenty stable sitting in it. If you were a younger guy who was going to fish a lot of different water that included big water sometimes I'd be recommending a 12' or larger boat. But if you truly are going to fish smaller waters like you said then this Pelican Catch 100 (or the longer 120 model) is a good option. Here is some other stuff i just posted on another site where someone else was asking about it:

I bought a Pelican Catch 100 about a month ago. I bought it to fish small rivers, streams and ponds and it has worked great. I like that it is smaller and lighter than my prior kayak, a Wilderness Systems Ride 135. Great seat in the Pelican.

Others have commented it is easy to stand and fish out of, but the water is still too cold here for me to attempt that yet :) . I am appreciating the noticeably lighter weight in terms of loading, unloading and transporting to/from the water. I have already spent several days fishing in it and everything seems well made and designed. It has just the right amount of deck and storage space for me - not too big, not too small.

It paddles easily and tracks straight while paddling, in fact better than I was expecting being so short (it is 10'). It does start to veer off course somewhat if you stop paddling so I may eventually add a DIY skeg. It hasn't been bad enough yet to rush off and do it.

For the price (I paid $585 for mine) I think it is a great small kayak for small waters. I would try to sit in both a 100 and 120 before making a decision. Either one is going to be well constructed.