Thumb-Burner

Heavy vs. light.. pros and cons???

36 posts in this topic

I have an Old OK Scrambler weights maybe 45 lbs.  Easy and light to move around, like nothing at all.  I HATE to fish out of it.  I have an Outback, a lot heavier, but I LOVE to fish out of it.  You just need the right equipment and technique to make moving it manageable.  I use a Hullavator, some kayak stands and various carts.

2 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I was under the assumption that the seat on the pelican catch 100 that would have me sitting up higher than most all the others I had seen would be a huge advantage while fishing. 

Your assumption is not wrong, for casting to targets in freshwater. The higher the better. 

Gell and the other guys aren't wrong either, but imo very little translates between fresh and salt when it comes to kayaks, and most guys on here focus on saltwater. The vast majority of dedicated freshwater bass kayaks are wide, heavy, with high seats and touting the ability to stand and cast...all advantages for that style of fishing.

Lifting the thing is really the only time the weight matters.  From the truck to the pond, just tie a rope to the bow handle and drag the thing.

27 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Your assumption is not wrong, for casting to targets in freshwater. The higher the better. 

Gell and the other guys aren't wrong either, but imo very little translates between fresh and salt when it comes to kayaks, and most guys on here focus on saltwater. The vast majority of dedicated freshwater bass kayaks are wide, heavy, with high seats and touting the ability to stand and cast...all advantages for that style of fishing.

Yes.  The kayak bass tournament circuit is dominated by big wide boats.  

I never lift the  full weight of the kayak over my head, i think that is a bad idea regardless of what shape you are in. When i had a car i would lay a drop cloth on the top of the passenger side door lift the nose of the yak on the walk to the back and slide it up. Now i have i truck with a rack i do it similar. I get the nose of the yak up on the back rack then lift it from the back and slide it up.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I saw a lady show up near me one day with two ocean yaks on a suv and her racks with a lift of a lever came down the side of the car on somekind of piston operated rack was pretty cool then the same to put them back up !

EA8636A8-C07A-46B7-A4AB-6FFF30ACC397.png

Edited by shark lobster

Have been lifting ProAngler 12 on the top of my SUV for 5 years now...about 20-30 trips a year...will be soon 60 in decent shape ( 6'4" - 220)...it all comes down to the method of lifting a yak....I always lift half a weight ( about 40-50lbs)...first lean the kayak on the side of the car, lift the rear part and push forward and then rotate the yak on the top...as shown on my avatar.

For me it is much tougher to pull a fully equipped yak over a sandy beach then put it on the car.

17 hours ago, gellfex said:

I

Go light, but honestly, you can do better than that Pelican for $650. It's so short and wide, it's gonna be one slow dog. Don't focus on wide=stable. Low seat also equals stable.  A classic beginner boat for you, in addition to the Prowler 13 mentioned, is the older Tarpon 120 and the various clones out there including the Pescador 12, the Pompano 12, and Eagle Talon. These are often on the used market, and Kenco has that older Pescador for $580. Where are you?

Agreed ... I just picked up a Tarpon 140, believe it to be a '07 or '08, for under $500. A WS Tarpon 120 should be ideal for you. Check out Craiglist and Facebook Marketplace ...

My outback is, what 80-90 lbs? I’m fit and strong, go to the gym 5 days a week, used to run ultras etc. I car topped it and it was such a pain to do so I stopped using it but maybe once a week. Was planning on much more use. Borrowed a friends truck a few times and it was so much easier I ended up getting my own truck. Now I’m out 4-5 times a week, easy on easy off. I have wheels for dragging it if there’s much of a distance between the car and the water so that parts no problem.

So my guess a 70 lb boat would be a pain to car top and you’d possibly end up not going out as much as you expected.

18 mins ago, icarussound said:

My outback is, what 80-90 lbs? I’m fit and strong, go to the gym 5 days a week, used to run ultras etc. I car topped it and it was such a pain to do so I stopped using it but maybe once a week. Was planning on much more use. Borrowed a friends truck a few times and it was so much easier I ended up getting my own truck. Now I’m out 4-5 times a week, easy on easy off. I have wheels for dragging it if there’s much of a distance between the car and the water so that parts no problem.

So my guess a 70 lb boat would be a pain to car top and you’d possibly end up not going out as much as you expected.

For me (don't really work out much) 70 is the upper limit. I can lift it over head from the water and go right to my small SUV roof. One spot I launch you have to walk down a long set of steps to get down by the water. It's doable enough that it doesn't deter me from going out but any heavier and I think it would. 

I'm 57, 5' 8", overweight, and don't go to the gym. Putting my 55# boat on top of the car is easy. What I hate is a launch that I can't roll into and out of the water fully loaded: having to shlep the boat, then all the gear from the car to the shore in like 4 or 5 trips, then the reverse when I'm tired. Sadly, that describes one of the best launches to fish from around here.

1 hour ago, icarussound said:

Odd?  I lift my outback over head and car top about 4 - 6 times a week.  I have some joint issues, but have the lift down to a science and it really doesn't bother me much (lift with your legs).  At nearly 55 (78 in Navy years), I see a few more years of clean n jerk loading in my future. 

Have the bar assist, but rarely ever use it.  Speed over ease of car topping, especially this time of year when I am cold!

I would like a small pick up but ain't in the cards.  

20 mins ago, gellfex said:

I'm 57, 5' 8", overweight, and don't go to the gym. Putting my 55# boat on top of the car is easy. What I hate is a launch that I can't roll into and out of the water fully loaded: having to shlep the boat, then all the gear from the car to the shore in like 4 or 5 trips, then the reverse when I'm tired. Sadly, that describes one of the best launches to fish from around here.

I consider myself very lucky in that all my favorite launches are easy in and out.  No cart, no hike, and NO STAIRS!  I couldn't do stairs with the kayak overhead.  Can't afford to break a hip!

5 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I never lift the  full weight of the kayak over my head, i think that is a bad idea regardless of what shape you are in. When i had a car i would lay a drop cloth on the top of the passenger side door lift the nose of the yak on the walk to the back and slide it up. Now i have i truck with a rack i do it similar. I get the nose of the yak up on the back rack then lift it from the back and slide it up.  

Saw an awesome video by chad Hoover where he had his wife loading a big kayak on top of an suv and like you said, she never lifted more than about 30 % of the weight.