R.R. Bridge Fisher

To homebrew or not?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, shark lobster said:

Woonsocket were day say throw me down the stairs my hat!

throw the horse over the fence his hay !

were you park side by each!

close ...

"throw me down the stairs my shoes", not hat ...

"park your car side by each"

and of course "next time you walk true my yard, walk a-round" ...

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

close ...

"throw me down the stairs my shoes", not hat ...

"park your car side by each"

and of course "next time you walk true my yard, walk a-round" ...

Hahaha yes! You go same school i went .

Edited by shark lobster

On 3/1/2019 at 8:31 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I know what you are say about the coors  light group

Half of my friends drink miller light and I don't want to share my beers with them because they wouldn't spend the money for a good beer or care about it. 

On the other hand if I did brew a bad batch they would make it disappear in an afternoon :beers:

off topic; but a pet peeve is folks that bring crappy beer; but sure do like the good stuff if they don't have to pay for it.

Update is I haven't been able to get my stuff out of the attic. 

I am waiting for my son to help me get the equipment down as I still have lifting and climbing restrictions from surgery. 

So in the meantime I'm drinking some good craft brews. 

Lifting restrictions?  I hope your son's going to help moving all the water around, unless you have a pump.  I don't think you said what type of brewing/system you have?  Extracts and a kettle, BIAB, all-grain?  I got tired of climbing a ladder with 40 pounds of hot water sloshing around to feed  the sparge water into a three tier cooler system.  I bought some 10 gallon pots at the restaurant supply house (1/2 the price than brew supply stores), another burner and a pump.  Some pipe and fittings for a two tier stand, hot liquor tank above the mash tun which is level to the boil kettle (ruby street style ).  Gravity feeds the mash tun and I use the pump to sparge into the boil kettle, then I can pump from boil kettle thru the chiller and into fermentor. No more lifting hot water/wort.

17 hours ago, mark77 said:

Lifting restrictions?  I hope your son's going to help moving all the water around, unless you have a pump.  I don't think you said what type of brewing/system you have?  Extracts and a kettle, BIAB, all-grain?  I got tired of climbing a ladder with 40 pounds of hot water sloshing around to feed  the sparge water into a three tier cooler system.  I bought some 10 gallon pots at the restaurant supply house (1/2 the price than brew supply stores), another burner and a pump.  Some pipe and fittings for a two tier stand, hot liquor tank above the mash tun which is level to the boil kettle (ruby street style ).  Gravity feeds the mash tun and I use the pump to sparge into the boil kettle, then I can pump from boil kettle thru the chiller and into fermentor. No more lifting hot water/wort.

:th:

Sounds like a great set up Mark. :th: Do you have a picture of the set up?  I have plans to build a brew stand laying around somewhere. Every time I think about actually building it I decide to brew a batch of beer instead. :o 

I haven't brewed since early January. It looks like good weather this Sunday, so I am going to get 2 batches into carboys in between NCAA basketball games. I am generally not big on "clone" recipes, but I have a Kane's Head High IPA that I'm gonna try. The other will probably be a house pale ale. Traditionally I brew my Marzen over Easter weekend, so that's on the schedule for next month!

Brew on my friends!

49 mins ago, Gilbey said:

Sounds like a great set up Mark. :th: Do you have a picture of the set up?  I have plans to build a brew stand laying around somewhere. Every time I think about actually building it I decide to brew a batch of beer instead. :o 

I haven't brewed since early January. It looks like good weather this Sunday, so I am going to get 2 batches into carboys in between NCAA basketball games. I am generally not big on "clone" recipes, but I have a Kane's Head High IPA that I'm gonna try. The other will probably be a house pale ale. Traditionally I brew my Marzen over Easter weekend, so that's on the schedule for next month!

Brew on my friends!

Mmmm, marzen. The best of both worlds, deep malty flavor and a crisp lager finish.  I plan on brewing this weekend also (a red ale boosted with a pound of local honey)  I will take some pics then.  It's a very versatile system, with the two burners I can do multi temp mashes, protein rests , decoctions, etc.  just by opening a valve and moving some tubing.  It also boosted my efficiency by nearly 20%, which I attribute to better control mash temps and control at  the sparge.  I was always chasing temps with coolers, the aluminum pots don't lose more than 2* over an hour.  But the pump was really the game changer, it makes brewing so easy at all stages. The hardest part now is moving the fermentor from the garage to the basement.