R.R. Bridge Fisher

To homebrew or not?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I am a beer snob. There I said it.

I have a homebrew kit up in the attic. Everything needed and bottles.

I have not homebrewed since my son was born.

17 years.

So is this worth it in 5 gallon batches 2 and a half cases for around $58 a kit.

Just curious if anyone is doing this in small batches. 

It used to come out ok.

Nut brown ales,Ipa's, easy kits.

Thoughts?

It's been a few years since I have brewed anything but I never did it for cost savings. That said, 2.5 cases of craft beer would be a lot more than $58. 

I say go for it, if it's something you think you still enjoy. I always did it with a buddy and drank our fair share in the process. 

The only real risk is not liking what you brew, right? That's why I don't make my own pickles, I'm really picky about what pickles I like and I'd be annoyed if I didn't like my own. I do like IPA's, but when it comes down to it I'll drink anything, so maybe you can lower your standards for your own brew.  Brewing and distilling is on my bucket list.

I may do it again. But I think I need more people to share with & share in return.Two cases of any one beer is too much. I like some variety.

Don't do it for the cost savings. Do it for the fun and challenge and accomplishment. I fade in and out of it a bit like I do with all my hobbies, but I've been a homebrewer for 25 years. I do enjoy the creativity and the DIY aspect. 

Brew on! Let us know how it goes. 

17 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have a homebrew kit up in the attic. 

Get some fresh ingredients and have at it,  the worst thing that can happen is you make beer.  $58 a kit sounds very expensive to me, price it out ' a la cart' , chances are its cheaper.  I brew all grain and my cost per finished bottle was around 50 cents depending on the ABV, but I buy 50lbs of grain at a time.  I've moved onto corny kegs after a few incidents with bottles, I have two 5g kegs in a keezer  and a portable 1.5 g.  One has stouts/porters the other IPAs/APAs, nice to have choices to drink.  

Once you do it a few times and brew some kick ass beer, you'll regret not starting again sooner.

I found it hard to make beer that was anywhere near as good as what I can buy. And it's not really all that much cheaper: I was paying $35-$45 for each 50-bottle batch, and that, combined with the time, made any savings miniscule.

The reasons to do it are if you like tinkering, you want to try stuff that you cannot buy, or you want to dive in and really understand, at the most fundamental level, all the steps that go into brewing beer. Also do it if you want to screw around and have fun. But in purely economic terms, and also in gustatory terms, it ain't worth it -- there's so much good beer out there that it will take you a while, and possibly even a long time, to make stuff that's better.

Example A: I go to my local beer distributor, and buy a case of Sly Fox Helles for $36. I go home and drink it, and it's delicious.

Example B: I spend a couple of hours sweating over a stove, making an ungodly mess, to brew beer; then have to wait two weeks, and then spend another couple of very, very messy hours sanitizing 50 bottles, bottling the beer, and cleaning up; then I have to wait three more weeks; and then I can crack open my first beer. With all of this effort, I've saved about 25 cents an hour -- and the beer, in comparison to what I can buy, is vastly inferior.

You can see, from these two, why my homebrewing stuff is all in the attic too.

Avoid bottling if you can and keg it.  That takes a lot of the sanitizing miscues out of the process that usually results in a fuq'd up beer. 

Take a kit and get creative with it.  I made a stout back in the mid 90's and decided to add cherries to it.  Result was excellent.  Next batch I pitched in mint leaves.  Also a good result. 

I just spent a cool bill on a case of beer so $58 for 2 cases and a sixer is not bad.  Go for it. 

18 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I am a beer snob. There I said it.

I have a homebrew kit up in the attic. Everything needed and bottles.

I have not homebrewed since my son was born.

17 years.

So is this worth it in 5 gallon batches 2 and a half cases for around $58 a kit.

Just curious if anyone is doing this in small batches. 

It used to come out ok.

Nut brown ales,Ipa's, easy kits.

Thoughts?

what's your favorite IPA?  you're in Massachusetts, so assume you've had treehouse?  if you're a beer snob and you have access to beer on the level of treehouse, does your beer compare?  is it worth it to you?  I know i'm not going to be able to brew beer at the level of what beer I can easily buy at Tired Hands or other half or any other high end craft stuff.  if your beer compares with those, sign me up.  :)  i'm buying for $58 a case from you.  

7 mins ago, Ryan D. said:

what's your favorite IPA?  you're in Massachusetts, so assume you've had treehouse?  if you're a beer snob and you have access to beer on the level of treehouse, does your beer compare?  is it worth it to you?  I know i'm not going to be able to brew beer at the level of what beer I can easily buy at Tired Hands or other half or any other high end craft stuff.  if your beer compares with those, sign me up.  :)  i'm buying for $58 a case from you.  

This is one of my favorites.  If I recall from 17 years back mine was not even close to this.

Once I started using liquid yeast packs the beer was a lot better.

Everything I made was at least drinkable. 

I do have a lot of free time and I do like beer so I might give it a go again.

I am stuck bottling in 12 or 22 ounce bottles. No room for kegs.

I will probably make an ipa.

20190225_170758.jpg

3 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Belmo failed at brewing his own beer. Don't take that as advice on what to do. 

I only made one in my times that was undrinkable. Its because it was over carbonated. 

When the bottle was opened it just foamed over and over and over.

I tried like hell to drink em but it was like there was no beer in there and all foam. 

This resulted in the pouring out of 2 cases in the driveway shame. 

Only did that once.

2 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

This is one of my favorites.  If I recall from 17 years back mine was not even close to this.

Once I started using liquid yeast packs the beer was a lot better.

Everything I made was at least drinkable. 

I do have a lot of free time and I do like beer so I might give it a go again.

I am stuck bottling in 12 or 22 ounce bottles. No room for kegs.

I will probably make an ipa.

yours and quite a few other people.  :)  

I have a buddy that swears by THouse beers.  They're good, but not my favorite.  

That's the reason I haven't attempted to brew my own.  I know there's no way i'm making something that comes anywhere near what I can get down the street.  Unfortunately, it's costing me an arm and a leg.  

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I only made one in my times that was undrinkable. Its because it was over carbonated. 

When the bottle was opened it just foamed over and over and over.

I tried like hell to drink em but it was like there was no beer in there and all foam. 

This resulted in the pouring out of 2 cases in the driveway shame. 

Only did that once.

There's no shame in trying, my friend.