Important news for Canal regulars

Rate this topic

Ditch Jigger

Gentlemen, I am sitting here choking back gut-wrenching anger as I type this. I was just advised via e-mail of one of the most most vile things I have heard occur at the Ditch in many a day.

As a lot of you know, one of my best friends is Brad, the Hawg Hunter man, who makes a very popular lure among Canal fishermen. A lot of you know that he has had about an 8 year run of poor health, including about 17 stints in various hospitals. What only a few close friends know is that Brad is 100% disabled, on a fixed income, has a wife and a 2-1/2 year old son to support, and relies heavily on the plug money for the few "extras" he can afford.

Apparnetly, some piece of human vermin decided to liberate Brad of over $1,000 worth of plugs while he was away from his vehicle. I haven't spoken to him yet, it's late and I don't want to disturb him. I don't know whether this theft occured at the canal while Brad was out fishing, or, more ominously because of the implications, while his truck was sparked in his yard at home (This is more ominous because he lives in a remote area and this theft would almost have to have been done by someone Brad knew and trusted enough to give directions to his home). I am livid and it's probably a good thing I am 250 miles away because I swear that I would be currently at the Canal trying my best to find and beat senseless the worthless piece of s*** who ripped off my friend.

What I am asking everyone to do is this--just keep an eye and ear out for anyone selling Hawg Hunter Lures. Brad is currently the ONLY person who is selling those plugs. They are not in any shop. The only other person who may have plugs for sale legitimately is Brad's former partner, Warren. They will be in older colors and of cruder finishes than the current models of Hawgs. You can't mistake Brad, he weighs about 400 pounds and has a Fu Manchu 'stache, and will be driving either a black S-10 Blazer or a beige Grand Wagoneer. Warren looks like Willie Nelson and sports a big wild white beard. If anyone other than these two tries to sell you a Hawg Hunter plug, these are hot and were the ones stolen. It's possible that the culprit might remove them from the package, but many of you know the Hawg designs and color schemes. Do NOT play cop or vigilante--be courteous, ask the guy whether he has more in his vehicle, and if you would be so kind, e-mail me at either of the addresses below and give me the plate #, and a description of the guy and his vehicle. I will immediately contact Brad so he can relay the info to the proper authorities. Above all, I beg you, do NOT purchase anything that looks like a Hawg Hunter from anyone but Brad.

Thanks for listening to my rant and for any info you can provide to help us find out who this lousy excuse for a human being is.

Mike P

mprevost77@hotmail.com

ditchjigger@stripersonline.com

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Mike,that's one of the crappiest things I've heard in a while.This would appear to be done by someone who realizes the value of what they've stolen.I don't know Brad,perhaps we could take up some sort of collection from the guys on the board to help him and his family through until he can either recover his inventory or get up and running again.I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

CMSTRIPER@juno.com

Truly a wealth of useless information.

Hey Ditch, you may want to ask your friend to contact the local tackle shops in that area for a heads up. Not unusual for the theif to come back and try again, heads up on that too. Tough one to crack, hopefully the scum screws up and gets careless. Most likely he'll try to sell to some tackle shops looking for a quick buck. Your right about the tag, best thing to follow-up on!

"Candide et constanter"

Well, since Mike T is sort of the source for this news, I'm sure Mike won't be buying, and would probably get a good look and get the plate off anyone who tried to sell him the plugs. Most of the other shop owners know Brad. Many didn't want to carry the plugs in the first place because he can undersell them by direct sales out of his truck. The lures are big pencil and Polaris style poppers basically targeted to the Canal market. They won't have a lot of appeal in many other places.

Still haven't talked to Brad yet. I have to guess this happened the last weekend of July, during the new moon minus tides. Brad only fishes those tides, and opens the "store" afterwards. He gets down to the Canal just before sunrise, and rides his bike a couple of light poles down. He fishes for an hour or two and is back at the truck by 7-ish, unless the fish still break later in the tide. This isn't like the Herring Run, where the whole world drives by. The lot isn't a secret but it also isn't on one of the main drags. I'm thinking along the lines on CM Striper, someone targeted him and knew exactly which vehicle in the lot the stuff they wanted was in. Trucks come into the lot regularly and most of the regulars know Brad's truck. In fact, a lot of them look specifically for it because they want to see whether he's there and whether they'll be able to buy plugs after the tide--they would notice anyone else removing a tote from the back of it. The louse or louses had a small window and had to hit fast, and this sort of precludes them checking every vehicle in the lot for things worth stealing--these bastages knew what they wanted and where it was, is my guess.

Well, it's useless to guess any more until I talk to the guy.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 08-10-2000).]

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

While I don't know Brad, it's sad when anyone in that situation has more crap heaped on top of the pile of sh*t they have to deal with daily. I like the idea of a collection, count me in just someone email me the name (for the check) and address to mail it.

Don't let it get you down Brad, life's too short to worry about it. Based on my limited experience on this board, I have no doubt that everyone here will ralley to the cause.

Tight lines.

[This message has been edited by Got Stripers (edited 08-10-2000).]

Hey Mike, why don't you contact the Fisherman magazine. Fred and Tom are both good guys and I'm sure that they would put a notice in the magazine or you can also send a letter to them and they may print that. I also know that a few people here know Tim Coleman also and I'm sure that he would be willing to help. Even if you can't get the guy arrested, maybe he won't be able to make any $ off his dispicable act.

I don't know Brad, but any friend of Mike's is a friend to all of us. I am never surprised at the level some folks will stoop to, it's unfortunate this happened to a friend, but I am not shocked, scum is out there, everywhere.

Mike, if you want, I'll set up something here for folks to help Brad out, a voluntary type situation where these phantom plugs can be purchased, that way if folks are inclined, they can do so with a credit card, I'll pick up all the charge fees and pay the bank fees and write a check for the full amount donated...and I'll also grab some phantom plugs myself.

Like I said, I don't know Brad, but Mike if you think he wouldn't mind our involvment, I'll start the ball rolling, completely annonymous, no name of the contributors or how much, just a check in Brad's name at the end of whatever period of time is appropriate.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Bad news! However I wouldn't broadcast it too much. Too much heat and the guy ditches the evidence. The theif doesn't get caught nor Brad his plugs back.

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

Aholes I hate the fact that people have to resort to this kinda thing . How much could they jhave expected to get unless they knew . Thieves will usually only go after stuff that they can get turn over on quickly . For the most money . So someone knew what he had .

The New England fisherman had a story about a month ago about Brad ( not that its their fault and they should not stop printing those kind of stories )

But Im curious what kind of persons targets physically challenged people . It was a good story I tried to locate him once after the story was written to try his plugs I was very impressed with his ability to still ply his trade and Fish . If there are any Phantom plugs i want some of that action . My best to Brad and to whoever catches this slimmy slug (scrape them off your tires )

I hope the plugs become a big anchor around the thieves neck. I don't see how even a dozen of them can get sold without someone in the know ID'ing them. If they have any brains at all they'll put them in a big box and send them to the Bourne Police before anyone finds out who has them. . If the culprits get caught by the wrong people , they'll wish they never saw a Hawg Hunter.

My condolences to your friend DJ, I was hit earlier this year at one of my favorite haunts and I don't think it will ever be the same again. All I can think of when I fish there now is if my truck is OK. Makes it hard to enjoy the fishing when thats pretty much the only thing on your mind. It sounds like it was definately another fisherman, to me that makes it even worse. You think of other fisherman as sort of brothers, but maybe its only because of guys like the ones on this site.

Hope you get the guys who did it.

Rui