wasabi_VA

RAM-X polyethylene vs. other polyethylene?

7 posts in this topic

I'm reading that Pelican kayak hulls are made from " RAM-X Premium polyethylene" and I'm wondering how that is different/better than say the polyethylene hull of my Wilderness Ride? It didn't seem to feel the same when I looked at the Pelican in a local store, so am surprised to see it is supposedly the same material.

I am familiar with the durability of the Wilderness hull (at least with my 2008 model), in that it feels very strong although also scratches pretty easy and sometimes deeply. Mine has a lot of scratches but I'd still say it is durable and it would take a tremendous accident to truly damage it. 

Anyway, what's the word on this RAM-X type hull? Is a proprietary thing just for Pelican?

I think we should do a run over test and find out. I will donate my 100 dollar dicks special ram-x kayak vs. any other brand.

100 dollar kayak.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for linking the video! Sorry, I can't tell if you comment was intended to suggest the RAM-X is cheap or if you think it compares favorably.

My sense from seeing them is that the RAM-X hull on the Pelican Catch 100 was thinner, but perhaps had a slightly harder outer coating/shell to resist scratching. The RAM-X full did feel more 'plastic-y' like the kind of plastic that cracks and goes bad after a couple seasons, but I'm hoping that was just a tactile feel thing and not actually how it will perform as a modern material. I hope not as I think I plan to go buy one tonight.

49 mins ago, wasabi_VA said:

Interesting. Thanks for linking the video! Sorry, I can't tell if you comment was intended to suggest the RAM-X is cheap or if you think it compares favorably.

Not intended to suggest cheap at all.  The ram x is not soft like Hobie and other poly kayaks. I’d like to run over my 100 dollar sit in with my Tacoma and 285’s and see what happens. 

If I am not mistaken, Ram-X is crosslinked polyethylene, meaning it is same family as PEX plumbing products.  Fascinating stuff, it has a shape memory that is not present in regular PE (or most other thermoplastics).  This is what makes PEX work, you can stretch it and deform it and it will try to revert back to its as molded state.  Even more interesting, you can actually apply heat to make it return to its original shape (again, opposite of a lot of thermoplastics).

Had a RamX canoe years ago and it was slicker and therefore easier to drag thru the woods going to the marsh as compared to my Old Town Loon, which was lighter. That’s all I got........