xjclint

Budget TH Beach Rod

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

@Killiefish you will find everyone's reasons for gravitating to TH differs.  My main purpose is the ability to throw big flies easily (no shoulder pain) and further than I could with a SH rod.  To @RedGreen point I am using a heavy head on an 11' rod to make this endeavor that much easier on me.  

I have experienced what he and @Mike Oliver are saying where the strong head wind ends up limiting my rods ability to cast with it being over lined and not having enough power to beat the head wind.  However, by playing angles with my postion and getting wind at an angle I am usually still able to keep fishing and do fine.  Sometimes I may have to move to a different piece of the structure.  If its really bad I may move to a different location.  

Also where I fish headwinds for extended periods onto my beaches makes it too weedy to effectively fish even if I could make the fly casts.  I have tried throwing completely weedless heavy soft plastic on spin gear and was also unable to fish due to weed build up.  So I am not incentivized to fish beaches in strong onshore winds except right at the begining of the storm (first four hours).  I have multiple spots where each wind direction creats ideal conditions without having to fight a straight on head wind the whole trip or too much weeds in water.

So my point is as local angler with a deep list of potential locations and a knowledge on what winds make them unfishable I dont feel limited at all with my choice of gear.  I fish pretty much all weather except lightning.  When it gets super rough I will switch to spinning gear at a certain point because I actually dont want to wade for safety and still reach structure (120-160' casts) which I dont think I could reach with any fly rod let alone in strong wind. I will use loaded plugs that cast insane distances in normal conditions to get my need wind range and safely fish super rough surf.  These lures and with my surf set up I can cast roughly 2/3 the way across the Canal but only get half that range in bad wind. So I may at some point invest in one of the cannons TH Rods.  But I have spent more than enough money getting the 10 and 12 weight T&T rods so no more rod purchases for a few years.

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

8 hours ago, Killiefish said:

So what you are saying Esa is that if it is calm or there is a tailwind, those are the only situations where a longer TH rod really excels???  In strong headwinds you argue there is little or no advantage to a longer rod? 

Re: your words "unless line head is too short" are not completely clear to me.  It is generally true that with a shorter rod we are using shorter head lines for more convenient fishing, but 30-35' ft (for a 10-11 ft rod) vs 35-38' (for a 12-13+' rod) is there really that much difference due to head length?  I can't see it.   I fish heads from 28' to 38' on my short two hand rods anyway. With 38' heads sometimes 3-5 ft or so of the rear head is inside the guides until the first backcast.

I can see the argument about the height of the rod tip allowing for a longer hang time of the loop in the air when there is no or little wind from the front, or a tailwind -- that part makes sense.  You also argue that you can speed up the line by using a narrower hand spacing.  How narrow?

The logic seems opposite of what people are saying that it is necessary to use a longer rod in serious headwinds.  Confusing...to say the least.  I wonder if that's one main reason some manufacturers (T&T, Beulah) are still making circa 11' beach rods; maybe it's not that they aren't aware of the benefits of a longer rod in a calm wind or tail wind but that they think these two conditions are less likely to occur on an open beach.

Yes K, and when longer line head is cast which longer rod makes possible. 

Shorter rod alone does not do much but when also heavier line is cast then it does!

Line head length has significant effect to cast length but there also come limit to fly size.

I use very narrow hand spacing when I DH cast 10ft rod. Perhaps it is only 2/3 what I use with 15ft rod so the ratio is the same. I like how easy it is to cast narrow and fast line loop using short rod. I can cast narrow line loop using long rod too but I can not full power casting stroke but I am working on it. 

My principle has been many years that I cast heavy enough line for my biggest salt water flyes and use just long enough rod that I achieve easy 90...100 ft when it is calm. Now I have a 10ft DH rod and 750...800gr lines and it quarantees that when wing gets nasty the performance does not drop too much. Mike and Red will beat me when no wind with their 550gr lines and longer rods but when casting to strong head wind I will win! 

I also have a 15ft rod for Spey casting practise which I today used for small fly fishing as well when I had mangroves close behind and it was enjoyable to shoot line which did require up to 20 three feet long line strips :) 

Esa

Esa

I did not get involved with TH rods  to cast in calm conditions. I did so to stay in the game when the wind got up.

I don’t have to stay with 530. I can go to at least 650 and one stick around 700 plus but the downside to this rod is that it is 14 feet long and I would agree with you that is not an ideal length if you are at the limits of doable because of wind.

There are practical limits. I think I have found them.  When we are near those limits and some are individual self imposed ones and the other is the real one then a shorter TH and for me that means 11 feet and 700 to 800 grains would be a sensible choice.

In those marginal conditions no one is going to be casting more than the head of the fly line at best. A 40 foot cast would be world class.

When the wind is head on and over 15 MPH it is in reality extremely tough. You do here of guys talking 20 mph but I have never seen anyone fly casting from a beach into a head wind of that strength. 

You do here it at the top of the beach or in the bar.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver
Could not finish post.

22 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Esa

I did not get involved with TH rods  to cast in calm conditions. I did so to stay in the game when the wind got up.

I don’t have to stay with 530. I can go to at least 650 and one stick around 700 plus.

There are practical limits. I think I-have found them.  

Mike

Mike I saw those videos.  I would really have to change my risk tolerance and get a wetsuit to do what you are doing.  I agree your rods and the wetsuit are the only way a fly guy can stay in the game in those conditions.  My biggest problem is the two areas I have found in rough surf that produce big fish near me have very dangerous rock bluffs that the current sweeps towards.  Last October even staying way back in a "safe area" a few big waves caught me off guard in the pitch black and knocked me down.  I fear that if I had been further out I might get caught in that sweep current and into a potentially life-threatening situation so I hung way back with the surf rod and pounded casts out with 4-5 oz loaded plugs and savage sandeel jigs.  I would love to be able to get at those big fish with my fly rod, but having a family now my risk profile has really changed compared to my twenties.  This season I am going to explore some of the more open beaches that have good looking structure, but no cliffs or bluffs to get pinned against.  These new areas have a lower risk profile and if they start producing big fish I may re-evaluate trying to fly fish in the heavy surf again.  

One thing I found last year was some of my inlets also produce excellently during these big storms, but due to the nature of how an inlet is formed, I can always find a spot to make the fly fishing work in the bad weather.  In discovering that it has kept me from chasing the big surf bass consistently as there can be a great bite in a location that is easier to make fly casting work.  The difficulty at the inlet is during big storms you have to be scraping the bottom to hook up which is its own difficult challenge with fly gear.  That said the only time in my life other than the Canal I have caught two 40 inch fish in the same trip was during my October 2018 heavy surf trips with the spinning gear.  So it is clearly a great scenario to produce trophy class fish so I understand the appeal of trying to tackle it with fly gear.

TGS

My ability to push the envelope has been reduced considerably this past five years as I age.

I certainly would not put myself in a situation which I knew for sure could have a very bad outcome. What you describe with a strong sweep and rocks is a no no for me to.

The wet suit allows me to access small rocks which are not doable in waders. If you get washed off it’s no big deal you fight your way back on again. It is not for everyone but to me that is fun. The Spin guys showed me the ropes in Montauk a few moons ago now. So I reasoned  if you can do this with a spin rod why not a fly rod and then why not a TH to make it even more doable.

My goal was to allow me to dictate where I fished rather then prevailing conditions. Of course there are limits but they got reduced just a little bit.

like yourself though where I have choices I am not so perverse that I chose the most difficult. My goal is to catch fish.

Confession time the appeal of the surf was not the possibility of big Stripers but the surf itself and the physical and technical challenge it poses to Fly Fishers.

I would not focus my fishing effort on open surf beaches if looking for Trophy fish. I have seen on accasions in Montauk huge  fish in the waves but key word is accasionally. My UK Bass fishing days strongly influenced my preferences for the surf which was the traditional,approach 45 years ago with bait.

You have peaked my interest greatly to fish more up on the inside. I need to learn how to,tye those huge flies.

I have been side by side with my spin fishing mates who were throwing very large plugs and they bailed decent fish. I could not get a single take even when I moved 100 yards away from them. My normal 2/0 Deceivers were of absolutely no interest to the Bass. Bass were feeding all around me in the dark and it drove me nuts. I did not have the solution. Which is good as it keeps us coming back.

Mike

I think that Mike just likes playing in the suds :) Experience with UK bass has meant that while there can be larger fish in the surf they are mostly schoolies. Just about all my larger fish have come to crab baits fished in very rocky and weedy terrain or live baits fished at night very close to the shore. Very similar fish in feeding habits and location and I have caught larger UK bass than my best striper but that is down to me fishing in the wrong places at the wrong times always a problem for visiting anglers. Big baits catch big bass...usually.

Finally got around to reconfiguring the Maddragon tonight.  Cut off the guides and removed the tip top.  I'm leaving the spinning reel seat on and building a traditional spey type grip/reel seat setup below the spinning seat.  My goal is to make the rod passible as a light lure weight surf rod in addition to a TH beach rod.  Using PacBay minima spinning guides setup like traditional fly guides. Stripper, one choke and then rest will be low frame spinning guides all the same size finished with Fuji spinning rod tip top (very light one).

Should have it done in a week or so.  If it casts well (for both types) I am sending it to Nantucket for summer for testing.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, Stripsettter said:

I’ve only been TH fly fishing for the past year or so and started with a Beulah Opal 9/10 which casts great with 500-550 grain, but I didn’t feel it has the power for heavier wind or big flies. It’s great for back bay somewhat calm conditions. It’s for sale in classifieds. I then picked up a discontinued Gloomis Crosscurrent specialized 11’3” 13 weight which has more power and can chuck some big flies but it’s a bit short. Definitely a keeper and not likely to do much single hand anymore unless from a boat. I then “built” 3 Diawa Carp Rods from a very cheap Mad Dragon to a 2.75 emcast and it’s like night and day. Using between 800-900 grain(head and tips), you can throw out a big fly 100 feet with just a roll cast and one back cast. Not a lot of finesse and sometimes the line will come crashing down in the water but the carp rods are the most effective and cheapest option. I did cheap builds with just a new reel seat, stripper guide and handles in shrink tube over cross wrapped parachord. 

Waiting for a manufacturer to make a real out front two hand rod. 1

stripsetter: I've always used a SH flyrod but go for the spin rod when winds go over 15mph in my face, especially while on vacation and every fish counts.  However tempted, I've been able to resist purchasing a TH rod, mostly because I do OK with my SH rod over the years and really don't want to add to our arsenal. Yes, extra cost for yet another rod is also a factor. 

However, if I WERE to decide on purchasing a TH rod, I would definitely look into SOL member Mike Oliver's builds which I've tried in person at the Cape and which so many SOL'ers here, either own or have fished with Mike's rods. Without question or talk of cost, I would like to own one of Mike's rods:)

If you're "waiting for a manufacturer to make a real out front two hand rod", be in contact with Mike Oliver who is an avid poster here on SOL and not involved with any of the flyrod companies mentioned here.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, The Graveyard Shift said:

So I think the guys who are more focused on the 10% are "Visiting Anglers" to the striper coast.  They are not fortunate enough to live within striking distance for a casual trip.  This is their one big trip and they want to be able to fish no matter what weather conditions pop up during their trip.  I have the same mentality when planning a spring steelhead trip now since I am no longer in striking distance its a once a year event if I get that lucky.  So I have tons of contingency spots and I bring all types of rods and gear for dealing with high water if runoff hits during my trip dates or if flows are optimal or low and require stealth. "Come hell and high water" I am still going fishing.  I just had my first majorly successful high surf fishing trip last October.  I used surfcasting gear and I got in over a dozen fish in the teens for weight and four fish in the 20-30lb range.  It really opened my eyes as to the hype about big surf and big stripers.  With the gear, I currently have it's still hard to imagine fly fishing in those conditions but I did attempt it with some limited success, but that surfcasting trip is burned into my mind so I may explore this 10% gear down the road.  So I think the other half of guys that want gear designed for that 10% conditions are like me and both surfcast and fly fish during a season so they know how productive big surf in out front conditions can be for big fish.

That said for me the move to TH rods was solving a different problem than just Out Front Conditions:

1.  My thesis is I need to throw very large flies to target big fish.  

2.  I have two bad shoulders using a single hand rod was killing my joints.

3.  I first attempted this using my 9/10WT 12.5 foot king salmon spey rod, but I found that it was very hard to get skagit casts to work well with 12" beast fleyes and other large flies of my own creation.  I want to at some point go back and put more effort into trying to figure out how to throw massive flies skagit because it would really open up a lot more fishing terrain for me.  What I did at the canal at first was use long extremely sparse patterns and I could skagit cast those well.  I am finding that large and sparse can work when fish are looking upwards, but where I am finding big fish is very deep near the bottom.  I have found sparse flies do not perform as well as fly with a true mass that pushes water and creates a lot of disturbance specifically when fishing near the bottom at night.  

4.  Long rods and long heads are a bad idea for me because where I fish is always very tight.  I am fishing jetties, rocky points, inlets with steep banks, steep slope rocky beaches with boulder fields, bridges, salt marshes with trees very close to marsh edge, and other tough casting scenarios.  I need to throw huge flies a long distance with the minimum backcasting room.  So the 30-foot head and 11' rod length are key as I can find little keyhole casting positions where I can water load and shoot a long cast out with only a 40' of room behind me.  I use 3-4' leaders and I will literally pace out the distance to obstructions.  If I pace out 40 feet well then I know I can get the cast-off.  

5. I do find the extra 2 feet of length is helpful in lifting my backcast above rocks, marsh vegetation, or other low obstructions that are often completely surrounding my casting position.  So the 11' length also has that advantage over trying to do this with a 9' 12WT.

At the end of 2016, I was very frustrated finishing my fourth full season with no striped bass over 20 pounds and I wrote DJ Muller an email.  He was very responsive and those four emails from him really changed my mindset for striper fishing permanently.  To quote him "Also remember that for big bass there has to be big baits available. Your catching smaller fish because there is small bait. A 30 pound fish won't chase a spearing."  When you read most fly fishing books on striped bass the approach is to match the smaller forage.  This was when I decided surfcasting held the answers to finding big fish from shore not fly fishing resources.  So I bought DJ's books and Skinners books read them over the winter on my commute to work then at DJ's suggestion got an 11' surf rod rated for 2-6 ounces. Based off what I learned from DJ and Skinner's books I was able to get several fish over 20 pounds in 2017 to include my personal best estimated at 38 pounds at the Canal.

2018 was all about converting successful surfcasting tactics into fly fishing tactics to produce big fish on a fly rod.  This is what brought me to the thesis of needing "Big Flies" and other than when I was on flats on Cape Cod or crabbing I threw nothing smaller than 8 inches long last year.  The majority of the time it was 10-12 inch long flies.  The results were I got 2 fish over 40 inches on the fly and 20 fish including those over 30 inches on the fly in 52 days of fly angling effort.  One problem with big flies: YOU SKUNK A LOT MORE.  Now one thing I kept from fly fishing was the concepts of selectivity and entomology.  So for the past two seasons, I take time to figure out what is happening to bring the big fish into these areas.  DJ is right big bait must be present, but small bait often is creating the conditions that bring in the big bait.  An example is in July the baby silversides start showing up everywhere and if you want to catch schoolies you need a small 1.5-2 inch fly.  Anything bigger will get ignored, but those same baby silversides are bringing in other predators like 3-4 inch wide mature green crabs, lobsters, American eels, cunner, and tomcod.  Those large baits are not targeted by schoolies and are there to also prey on the same bait schoolies arefocusedd on.  So finding the small bait density that produces a great schoolie night bight will allow you to catch big fish, but you need to match the big meals that a large bass is looking for not the small meal the schoolies are focused on.  Also throwing a huge fly to avoid hooking schoolies keeps your fly in the water a very long time without hits.  There are not a lot of these big fish so you fly needs to spend a ton of time in the water.  When I started realizing this pattern I then found a school of fly fishermen that I could look to for inspiration: Musky anglers.  So this winter I have been reading a ton about Musky fly fishing and fly patterns.  Its been eye opening and I think these truly big bass 40-60 pounds are very similar to big 50 inch musky on public rivers.  They are so smart because they have lived a very long time that your presentation has to be that much better to fool them.  A lot to think about for sure.  Two months left until Striped Bass arrive in my area so its almost game time.

Night Flies.jpg

PB Striper 2019.jpg

TGS: While not entirely convinced about using very large flies to catch large stripers, based on my limited, but years' long,  flyfishing experience catching stripers over 20#, and I have caught more than a couple of 20# or more, from shore, I might add,  I think what you have to say is very true, based on your fishing experience and your beautiful photo above. All of us fly tyers and flyfishermen tend to think the biggest fly will catch the biggest fish. So many fly tying articles show photos/patterns of very big flies which are said to catch big fish. Some of them do. I've witnessed, first hand, flyfishing on the Vineyard,  next to a famous "huge fly" fly tyer flyfisherman, when his 12" pattern wasn't catching and my white 5" squid, caught, almost every cast. (He actually came over to me and asked what I was using.)

I've found in past years, when worm hatches were more prevalent here on Long Island, using a cinder worm fly of no more than 1.5" long could catch me a 20# striper (at night, when our worm hatches occurred). Even less than 1.5" was better.

Fishing Martha's Vineyard in June, on a new moon night, dark, where I almost couldn't even see where I was, I tied on a Coop's skinny corsair fly, probably 1.25" long, on a #4 hook, yep! Couple of strips and I had on a 30# striper, my biggest striper of my F/fishing life. The fly was so small that I had trouble, in the dark, extracting it from the striper's mouth before releasing it and my buddy had to hold open the striper's mouth so I could locate and get that fly out of its mouth before it did, successfully, swim away. A thrill, for sure! 

I always am on the lookout for the BIG, successful sounding flies, but, I always remember the 30# striper that went for my tiny fly so still am tying big flies with hopes for big fish plus "tiny" flies, like from Coop's on the Vineyard, hoping I'll find a lurking big striper who wants to take my fly.

Just as an added note, most of my larger stripers from shore have been taken with flies 6" or under.

Yours, from shore I can see, is one which definitely will live in your f/fishing memories. Hope to meet up with you at the Cape early June!

Ron

On 3/4/2019 at 6:18 PM, Stripsettter said:

It’s about how to get a big fly out in less than ideal conditions with minimal effort(no false casts or double hauls) while still preserving the fly cast. I think it’s the bridge between surf spin casting and traditional SH fly fishing. We could all just spin cast instead and put our flies on as teasers or behind a casting bubble etc. 

SSetter: you are totally correct!

14 hours ago, flysully said:

TGS: While not entirely convinced about using very large flies to catch large stripers, based on my limited, but years' long,  flyfishing experience catching stripers over 20#, and I have caught more than a couple of 20# or more, from shore, I might add,  I think what you have to say is very true, based on your fishing experience and your beautiful photo above. All of us fly tyers and flyfishermen tend to think the biggest fly will catch the biggest fish. So many fly tying articles show photos/patterns of very big flies which are said to catch big fish. Some of them do. I've witnessed, first hand, flyfishing on the Vineyard,  next to a famous "huge fly" fly tyer flyfisherman, when his 12" pattern wasn't catching and my white 5" squid, caught, almost every cast. (He actually came over to me and asked what I was using.)

I've found in past years, when worm hatches were more prevalent here on Long Island, using a cinder worm fly of no more than 1.5" long could catch me a 20# striper (at night, when our worm hatches occurred). Even less than 1.5" was better.

Fishing Martha's Vineyard in June, on a new moon night, dark, where I almost couldn't even see where I was, I tied on a Coop's skinny corsair fly, probably 1.25" long, on a #4 hook, yep! Couple of strips and I had on a 30# striper, my biggest striper of my F/fishing life. The fly was so small that I had trouble, in the dark, extracting it from the striper's mouth before releasing it and my buddy had to hold open the striper's mouth so I could locate and get that fly out of its mouth before it did, successfully, swim away. A thrill, for sure! 

I always am on the lookout for the BIG, successful sounding flies, but, I always remember the 30# striper that went for my tiny fly so still am tying big flies with hopes for big fish plus "tiny" flies, like from Coop's on the Vineyard, hoping I'll find a lurking big striper who wants to take my fly.

Just as an added note, most of my larger stripers from shore have been taken with flies 6" or under.

Yours, from shore I can see, is one which definitely will live in your f/fishing memories. Hope to meet up with you at the Cape early June!

Ron

Ron, I definitely agree big stripers eat everything.  It sounds like you have put a ton of time in and in my opinion that is the number one thing that matters in catching big stripers.  Time on the water.  My focus on big flies over 10 inches is both because baits of that size are available where I fish so I am matching the bait and to weed out small fish from striking.  Last year both of my big fish came from spots that are infested with small fish because of young of year spearing (summer) or herring (fall) densities.  Big flies mean I don't catch very often but when I do its quality last summer when I skunked 6 straight times in areas that I knew a 1.5-2 inch fly would result in lots of fish is very tough to stay the course throwing large flies.  I used to fish these areas more traditionally and most stripers get surprisingly size selective a fly 1.5" is best in July.  Occasionally I would catch big eels (12-18 inches long) fly fishing with small flies.  When I caught my first truly large fish in that spot last year it was using a large 11" eel fly after those six straight skunkings.  I am willing to bet that huge striper had plenty of small spearing in its belly and with enough time fishing small flies I could have caught that fish on the small fly.  The problem with that spot is if you throw a small fly you are constantly hooking fish primarily 14-20 inches long with an occasional mid-twenty-inch fish thrown in here and there.  So your fly is not in the water and I think having my fly in water for a very long time finally got it in front of that lone big fish.

However, if I know there is a group of quality fish feeding on smaller bait and I think my chances are better with a small fly I will switch.  The flats at night on Cape Cod is an example I rarely throw large flies mainly sandeel imitations, but this year I am going to try small squid flies just like you mention you use.  If you are in the right area at right time of the season you can find groups of larger fish feeding on smaller baits and in that scenario, I would agree to match the prevalent bait is the best course of action.  With many more seasons than me on the water I 100% believe you have taken plenty of truly large fish over the years using flies 6 inches or less because time on the water and being in right place at right time is the most important thing.

My goal is to have legitimate shots at one to two forty inch fish per month over the course of a 6 month season.  I don't care how many stripers I catch I only care about those few large fish.  I think if that is your goal you really have to approach fishing differently and focus on big bait availability and match those big baits in your presentation.  Where I spend most of my time fishing the large bass are in general keyed in on large baitfish or large crustaceans.  May/June it's river herring that is the striper's focus. Late June through August its American eels, tautog, lobster and green crabs.  Late August through October it seems to shift to high densities of small bait and type of areas switches so I am using large flies primarily as a schoolie deterrent.  Occasionally in the fall I have found ocean herring near shore and big flies have been key then but more in the 8-9 inch range going over 10 inches was not as effective.  I have never actually found bunker near shore yet, but I think my big flies in fall are eaten more likely as a stray bunker than a tautog since I switch more to fishing more open beach structure then.  I do find there are some huge fish back in the estuaries in the fall and large eel patterns continued to do well on low to mid-thirty-inch fish.  

To help find my summer areas I have been making friends with divers and lobstermen.  One spear fishing friend has been the most helpful.  I realized that some of my best areas from last year are actually full of large tautog as he spears tons of tog in those spots during daylight.  I also realized that lobsters are very prevalent in those areas as well.  Plus there is a super high density of large green crabs which I discovered on my own last season as a source big fish.  So I am purposely shifting my efforts to areas that I know have large bait.  These relatively new summer areas in particular are very difficult areas to fly fish and most people would not attempt to fly fish them in the first place.  My older traditional summer areas are full of small bait and american eels.  I don't think big fish come in them very often and I also think the number of big fish is very low that is why it takes so many trips to get one.  We shall see last year was my first successful year for big stripers consistently on the fly.  Lot of learning left to do so I don't have things figured out, but I like the forward progress and will be really grinding it out hard this year to keep the streak going.

Also just to clarify that personal best striper picture in the post was caught with surfcasting gear in 2017.  The biggest fly rod fish for me so far was 42 inches and 26lbs caught in 2018.  I should have posted the picture directly below this section to make it more clear:

"At the end of 2016, I was very frustrated finishing my fourth full season with no striped bass over 20 pounds and I wrote DJ Muller an email.  He was very responsive and those four emails from him really changed my mindset for striper fishing permanently.  To quote him "Also remember that for big bass there has to be big baits available. Your catching smaller fish because there is small bait. A 30 pound fish won't chase a spearing."  When you read most fly fishing books on striped bass the approach is to match the smaller forage.  This was when I decided surfcasting held the answers to finding big fish from shore not fly fishing resources.  So I bought DJ's books and Skinners books read them over the winter on my commute to work then at DJ's suggestion got an 11' surf rod rated for 2-6 ounces. Based off what I learned from DJ and Skinner's books I was able to get several fish over 20 pounds in 2017 to include my personal best estimated at 38 pounds at the Canal."