xjclint

Budget TH Beach Rod

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

I’ve only been TH fly fishing for the past year or so and started with a Beulah Opal 9/10 which casts great with 500-550 grain, but I didn’t feel it has the power for heavier wind or big flies. It’s great for back bay somewhat calm conditions. It’s for sale in classifieds. I then picked up a discontinued Gloomis Crosscurrent specialized 11’3” 13 weight which has more power and can chuck some big flies but it’s a bit short. Definitely a keeper and not likely to do much single hand anymore unless from a boat. I then “built” 3 Diawa Carp Rods from a very cheap Mad Dragon to a 2.75 emcast and it’s like night and day. Using between 800-900 grain(head and tips), you can throw out a big fly 100 feet with just a roll cast and one back cast. Not a lot of finesse and sometimes the line will come crashing down in the water but the carp rods are the most effective and cheapest option. I did cheap builds with just a new reel seat, stripper guide and handles in shrink tube over cross wrapped parachord. 

Waiting for a manufacturer to make a real out front two hand rod. 1

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Echo King 9wt is around as powerful as my Echo2 9/10wt = should be able to handle above 500 grains easily overhead.

The Echo King 10wt is rated for 720g to 810 grains Skagit.  By my estimation should be able to huck lines from 580g up to around 650g overhead (but above 600g I suspect it would slow the rod down a bit).

The fact is that even the Echo Swing 8wt spey rod  (13' 6") which is a beginner spey rod, can cast lines and heads to 500g overhead with the tip uncut. Plenty of room to cut back that tip and get a rod over 12' long that is powerful enough to cast heavier lines.  It's a beast of a rod and only $249 new.  Cutting the tip might void the warranty however.  YMMV

Edited by Killiefish

Killie no question 500 max on the king 10wt. It has less guts than my first TH which I would do 500 max on. 

Out front it won't cut it. It just won't. I hoped it would be more powerful than it was but that's the reality. 

In a back bay with 550 it would be a treat. For an open beach not a chance. I'd sooner bring a carp rod. 

HT I remember that! You are the only one I know of who has done it. Completely agree we tend to overestimate wind speed. 

TGS you're absolutely right and I have been thinking about it lots. I have herring and eel flies I have tied for top of the water column and down near the bottom and am fully engaged in the idea of tangling with some serious fish this spring at the cape. 

Had an Amazon gift card and found the daiwa maddragon for 60 shipped, so for short money I'll tape on a reel and switch the first guide and give it a shot. Can't imagine it won't be a cannon. Now, on to line. Any thoughts on a 500-600 grain short that isn't 1/4" thick skagit head (already have a few).

Red

The problem is one of calibration. If you have only cast rod A but not Rod B then you have no possibility for comparison.

What I do know is that when someone has been casting a TH for a while and then gets the opportunity to cast one like your PAC Bay that they are amazed by the performance  difference. Night and day.

If a TH rod is not offering greater capability over a SH, then it has no interest to me at all. The whole reason to fish a TH was for increased performance.

This increase comes about by the ability to cast significantly heavier lines used on SH rods. The important caveat is that the rod is not matched to a lines  mass it is over matched. I have never been able to get this across to more than a very few guys. 

After around 12 years of trying to explain it kinda gets old when ears get closed off.

Most guys get it right away if you can get them to a beach. Written and verbal communication have proved to be mostly futile.

mike

8 hours ago, RedGreen said:

HT I remember that! You are the only one I know of who has done it. Completely agree we tend to overestimate wind speed. 

TGS you're absolutely right and I have been thinking about it lots. I have herring and eel flies I have tied for top of the water column and down near the bottom and am fully engaged in the idea of tangling with some serious fish this spring at the cape. 

If you are not feeling like it is going to take you off your feet it's under 20MPH is my take.  I learned a lot about wind speed and direction from my scout platoon sergeant when I was the HHC commander in regards to long range marksmanship.  I spent a lot of time in the field training with them and my mortar platoon which was really a blast.  Both groups were amazing at identifying wind impacts on their rounds going down range.  So I have a pretty solid grasp of what the wind speed feels like, but I agree with HT in that without an anemometer. you really don't know.

Just ordered a Maddragon from Amazon.  Should be here in a couple of days.  Will strip it this weekend and turn it into a fly rod.  Should be a fun project for very little money.  I have a family member who lives on Nantucket that is looking for a beach fly rod to I suspect I will give it to him.  Now I need to find a line.

1 hour ago, fly_flinger_ said:

Does anyone have any experience with a TFO deer creek 11' 9wt? Rated for 5-700 grain, it seems like it would be a good option if you were able to find one used

I think bit longer Deer Creek which soft tip is cut away would be better. Not all rods are good for tip cutting but DC are because they are soft and very durable. DC Action Angles are about 65 which is QUITE fast for a Spey rod. On ebay there is used 13'6" 8/9wt $180 at the moment. I have 15ft #8/9 blank and I will build it 14ft.

Esa

Esa

33 mins ago, qecfly said:

Just ordered a Maddragon from Amazon.  Should be here in a couple of days.  Will strip it this weekend and turn it into a fly rod.  Should be a fun project for very little money.  I have a family member who lives on Nantucket that is looking for a beach fly rod to I suspect I will give it to him.  Now I need to find a line.

I’m using rio skagit heads 650-750 grains with rio mow tips 140 grains on the Diawa Carp Rods with good results

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, qecfly said:

I hope it has max 2.75lbs rating? There are big stiffness diffeences on Carp rods too but all 3lbs and 3.5 lbs I have are too stiff for fly lines.

Just an hour ago I was casting clothes line shooting heads longest casts at least 120ft. So called "dollar shops" have 60ft coils usually for one dollar. Some have steel cores and they are too stiff and coils bad but some are soft enough as fly line.

Esa

Edited by crunch

Yes, went with 2.75.  I also have a 11' 9wt Deer Creek which I just finished.  I will begin experimenting as soon as the weather is a little warmer.  The DC was not built for this type of fishing.  The plan is to use it for tradition spey type casts on the Salmon River NY.

Esa,

What are you using for a running line.  How do you deal with the loop connections constantly going back and forth through the guides?  To date all of my lines are integrated because of the loop connections when using just heads.

Just now, qecfly said:

Esa,

What are you using for a running line?  How do you deal with the loop connections constantly going back and forth through the guides?  To date all of my lines are integrated because of the loop connections when using just heads.