salt deficient

2018 season hickory shad

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

There wasn't a bunch of bait this year.  There was some talk of hickory shad that showed up.

Anyone bump into them?  Roughly where and when.  Curious about these guys.  Going to try to fish them during the spring spawn.

Any pics of the hatch would be great too.

What lure would you use to match the hatch.  I'm assuming these are the yearlings leaving the Delaware river.

My shad darters came in today.  Should be fun if I'm lucky.

You caught them last year in the late summer and early fall in NoMoCo usually on small tins.  I think the most common method of catching them is to set out early in the morning with a plan to fish for some other species (e.g., stripers, blues, albies, etc.) using tins, cast and the pesky shad will be the only thing you catch. 

didn't find them in the usual numbers last year, but had some mid fall in a MonCo inlet on a teaser in front of a soft plastic, then late fall out front actually on a sandeel soft plastic imitation. Had to be the biggest hickories I've ever caught. I most often get them with a white teaser in front of tin however.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, salt deficient said:

What size wre these guys?   Big adult ones, or smaller?   Stripers chase them hard?  OR they rather have somethin else?

The ones I ran into were big...I didnt measure them but if I were to guess they were somewhere around 14" or larger. Maybe there were smaller ones in the mix but were unable to get hooked on my offering. I remember them being thick and getting lots of hits probably from the smaller ones. There were no stripers on them. Seems like the class of bass that would have been big enough for those guys were far offshore. Care to say what your plan is?

Edited by adams54

On 2/26/2019 at 11:27 PM, JerseySwells said:

didn't find them in the usual numbers last year, 

In a place i fish often they can be a pest

Not so much last year

10 hours ago, ACFishing said:

Who was eatin em?

No kidding about the smell. My sons first fish was a nice sized hickory shad at an inlet last fall. There was an asian dude nearby we gave it to him. He was happy..said he was going to make a soup with it.